M7, the right choice...

7 hours ago, L0071 said:

Can I benefit  from film under 50 iso  under correct lighting conditions, correct Aperatures, correct focal planes..

I am not sure what you mean. The M7 ISO dial allows setting the ISO value from 0 - 6400. You could use the A setting to choose the shutter speed automatically for you. But you have to always focus manually and set the Aperture manually as you want it. (will be wide open probably with ISO 50 and below) In most situation the light meter in the M7 will work fine, in some special lighting circumstances it will need manual correction for optimal results.

Totally understand in Auto mode, I guess my question is if I get a film say 13 iso does it just get sharper under the optimum lighting conditions my understanding is it gets less grainy the lower you go.. how low can you go 😃

there must be a value where the film breaks up not infinitely sharper or a light sensitive threshold, mabe I should just go digital...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is not necessarily dependent on the ISO number of a film. It is also always the interaction of developer, time, temperature, film.
More or less development time, lower or higher temperature and the same film looks completely different. I think trying it out helps here. And then make the film and development the standard that comes closest to personal preference.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

The process of the film Photograph start to finish has so many variables the Photographer that can manipulate these very sensitive processes has a picture, that about wraps it up, I must commend a guy that can conquer this entire process, very nice picture there, 👍👍👍

At this stage I have a good film Lab for the developing, finishing processes, it's a whole different set of skills to actually get a finished negative and a transfer or print I just don't think I have the patience for a development process, Over and out...see on the next thread !!

Several years ago I tried to improve image quality with low-ISO and document-films like Kodak Tech Pan and Ilford Pan F. In summary I gained sharpness and resolution but it wasn't enough to justify the problems involved: Lack of latitude, different gray-scale and uncommon spectral sensitivity. It's not a silver-bullet. I would recommend you either step up in format or stick with a well known film of medium sensitivity (50-100 ISO in that ballpark) and live with its limitations in 35mm. At least this was what I did in the end.