Suggestions for a S wide angle Lens

rollsman4

They are all very good, if you are asking about S lenses. The 35 is the smallest and cheapest, by a small margin, over the 30 and 45.

30, 35, 45 correspond to 24, 28, 35 in 35mm terms. Pick you favourite! There's a S 24, but you might call it a "super wide."

As far as non-Leica choices are concerned, I say don't bother.

When I first got the S I had a Mamiya 35mm and a Hasselblad 50, which I kept from earlier kits. They just didn't cut it, compared to the Summarit-S 70mm. They were softer, had weaker colours, more flare, etc.. Really, it's what you would expect from complex retrofocus lenses designed 50 years ago.

Some of the more-recent medium format wides might work, like Hasselblad H or Contax 645, but then you have to buy a very expensive electronic adapter. You may as well spend that money on an S lens.

With, the S70, I'd go S35. The Contax 645 35mm is pretty good, but then you need the adapter, too. Just get the S35.

Wide open f/2.5, 1/45s, ISO 400, S(006) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And there's a Cartier-Bresson taken from within a foot of where I was standing. I know, that means nothing without the people, but it was fun to "borrow" his composition.

f/11, 1/125s, ISO 200

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 4

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you for sharing this. Helps with my decision. the S 35 is my choice. I want to wait to see if the prices come down. Maybe after Jan. 2023

I still use the GFX 50Sll and like it very much. What makes me want to keep it is the IBIS  The S lenses are heavy and NO IBIS.   Thank you