Need help with my leica lightmeter mr!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Im new to the forum so sorry in advance if this is not the proper section to post this. So recently I bought a lightmeter mr that is working fully, with the box and in good condition. The only problem I have is that it constantly shows that it is overexposed. The lowlight and outdoor switch works properly and I use a 1.35v battery that is specially made for cameras that use the old type of mercury batteries so it shouldn't need recalibration, and it zeros out perfectly. I have opened it up and nothing is corroded and it all looks fine. I saw that there are two sorts of screw switches, so maybe that isn't aligned properly? I hope someone can help me out on this one because I'd love to put it to good use! Thank you in advance!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello SKL,

Welcome to the Forum.

This, "Collectors & Historica", is 1 of the appropriate sections for this.

Before we go adjusting any screw switches could we ask some questions here?

To begin with:

Are you using an alkaline battery? Or zinc air? Or silver oxide? How new is it?

What do you mean by "it constantly shows that it is over exposed".

And: Do you know that the angle of coverage of an MR meter is the inside of the frame lines for a 90 mm lens (Sort of) when the lens is focused to a certain distance? What distance is this meter set to measure correctly at?

Did you know that an improperly adjusted meter can sometimes scratch the top of the camera it is mounted on?

There might be more. Depending on the answers to these questions.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

22 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello SKL,

Welcome to the Forum.

This, "Collectors & Historica", is 1 of the appropriate sections for this.

Before we go adjusting any screw switches could we ask some questions here?

To begin with:

Are you using an alkaline battery? Or zinc air? Or silver oxide? How new is it?

What do you mean by "it constantly shows that it is over exposed".

And: Do you know that the angle of coverage of an MR meter is the inside of the frame lines for a 90 mm lens (Sort of) when the lens is focused to a certain distance? What distance is this meter set to measure correctly at?

Did you know that an improperly adjusted meter can sometimes scratch the top of the camera it is mounted on?

There might be more. Depending on the answers to these questions.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi michael,

Thank you for the response!

The battery that i use is the 1.35v zinc/air wein cell that should work out of the box. I have bought it new i think around a 3 days ago and it has been in the meter for less than half an hour.

By constantly overexposed i mean that the meter will max out, and that is always the case, even when i block the lens from any light. So even with no light it shows that it is "overexposed". But when checking the battery with the testing switch it will go over the little dot that indicates that it would be properly adjusted.

How would i check that? Because i knew about the framelines of a 90mm lens but i cant find anything on the metering distance, not even in the original manual.

I have taken proper notes about how everything was aligned so that shouldnt be an issue but in that case i will be extra carefull with putting it back together so thank you for the warning!

Thanks for taking the time to help!

SKL

Edited by SKL

Are those screws the potentiometer adjusters? Some discussion here about the later MR-4:

https://www.photo.net/discuss/threads/leicameter-mr-4-setting-the-zero-position.201363/

http://feuerbacher.net/photo/repair/Leicameter/Leicameter.html

Maybe these adjusters can be used to re-calibrate it, unless maxing out means there's a short circuit or something.

Hello SKL,

The test button activates a SEPARATE circuit from the circuit activated by pushing the measure button. So, the pushing of the test button moving the arm to, or just beyond, the center of the "dot" on the measuring scale means that the battery is OK. I would NOT adjust the screws, etc. that you wrote about in your first Post. These meters can be "finicky" sometimes for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes the surface of the switches builds up various oxides, etc. Pushing it in & letting it push itself out 50 (Yes) or so times sometimes helps. As does gentle rubbing with a soft eraser on the contact surfaces, if you have the meter apart.

Check to see if the connector piece between the range button (Red & Black "dots" on the top left of the meter case.) & the slide covering the meter cell is functioning correctly. The connector is plastic & it may be broken & it is possible that a damaged connector has effectively set the meter to the RED "dot" permanently. Which would mean that the slide has completely uncovered the metering cell so that a smaller amount of light may "peg" the meter.

There is more.

Best Regards,

Michael

On 6/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, SKL said:

Im new to the forum so sorry in advance if this is not the proper section to post this. So recently I bought a lightmeter mr that is working fully, with the box and in good condition. The only problem I have is that it constantly shows that it is overexposed. The lowlight and outdoor switch works properly and I use a 1.35v battery that is specially made for cameras that use the old type of mercury batteries so it shouldn't need recalibration, and it zeros out perfectly. I have opened it up and nothing is corroded and it all looks fine. I saw that there are two sorts of screw switches, so maybe that isn't aligned properly? I hope someone can help me out on this one because I'd love to put it to good use! Thank you in advance!

Man, how did you open the top dial? I tried pryers to open it but it’s really stuck. Did you experience the same problem? I’m even thinking of using a heatgun, cause I’m thinking that the previous owner might have used loctite or some other super glue.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello zuzu85,

Please remember that these devices are like people: If you are forcing them you are probably doing something wrong.

The piece in the middle with 2 "dots" is a screw that can be turned counter clockwise with something soft that fits in both holes of the screw head. This screw is fragile. Be careful. Then undo the screws on the left side (Looking from the back.).

Then pull the test button all of the way to "test" & then lift up the top cover.

Best Regards,

Michael

Does this help you  ?

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

Jean Claude, thank you for the very nice photo. That reminds me that I forgot to mention removing the 2 large screws under the film speed, etc. dials after removing the film speed, etc. dials screw & the 2 screws on the side of the meter.

Best Regards,

Michael