SL 601 in 2022.

Ko.Fe.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thinking about moving from film Leica which I don't really use and Canon AF digital gear to single SL 601 with Panasonic 20-60 and SF-26. I use this flash on M-E 220 and it gives very adequate results for its small size.

I'm not a pro, sports and BIF. Just walkaround and family pictures. I just like Leica cameras and want to have good weather sealing.

In 2022, is SL 601 good enough to lasts for another five or so years of regular use under all weather irks? 

I have an SL601 with the Panasonic 20-60 and as a camera lens combination its fine. I expect it to last another 5 years at least. Regarding weather sealing, well, its difficult to say because it depends on a lot of things. If you try to keep it dry and keep any seals (battery/SD card door/connectors) clean and undamaged then it should be fine. But allow dirt to get into the seals to damage to occur to them and its less likely to survive if it gets thoroughly wet. I take reasonably good care of mine but its not cossetted and so it looks well used (a Leica ex-demo camera so it is far from mint). The only downsides are that its big and well into SLR size rather than diminutive EVF, and batteries are expensive. I find it to be a better camera to use that the Sony A7II but its a lot bigger. You would need to handle it properly to find out how you like it. The Panasonic 20-60 isn't the world's best lens but its by no means the worst either - quite fit for purpose if you aren't pixel peeping the corners on every photo.

Edited by pgk
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pgk said:

I have an SL601 with the Panasonic 20-60 and as a camera lens combination its fine. I expect it to last another 5 years at least. Regarding weather sealing, well, its difficult to say because it depends on a lot of things. If you try to keep it dry and keep any seals (battery/SD card door/connectors) clean and undamaged then it should be fine. But allow dirt to get into the seals to damage to occur to them and its less likely to survive if it gets thoroughly wet. I take reasonably good care of mine but its not cossetted and so it looks well used (a Leica ex-demo camera so it is far from mint). The only downsides are that its big and well into SLR size rather than diminutive EVF, and batteries are expensive. I find it to be a better camera to use that the Sony A7II but its a lot bigger. You would need to handle it properly to find out how you like it. The Panasonic 20-60 isn't the world's best lens but its by no means the worst either - quite fit for purpose if you aren't pixel peeping the corners on every photo.

Thank you for reply.

No dirt is involved, only rain and snow. I currently have FF DSLR and it weights same as SL.

Just FWIW the one accessory I have bought for the SL is the RRS baseplate which, if you ever want to use it on a tripod, fits very well and provides an arca type QR. I leave it on all the time but it depends on whether you use a tripod a lot.

30 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

..... only rain and snow.

I hae seen a Canon D1 actually stop working as it became waterlogged. After a night on a radiator it was back up and running. It was a 'sealed', so weatherproof, camera which had been used in very heavy rain on a boat. The problem is that you never know just how well sealed a camera is until you need to know. And you never know how it will react to getting water inside. Saltwater will usually destroy electronics but freshwater isn't so bad, but you never know. I try to keep my gear dry and carry a small 'drybag' to put anything electronis in if it rains hard. These a now small and light so no big deal. I will shoot in rain and snow, even with my (unselaed) M9s, but I try to be carful - so it really depends on how you want to treat your gear I would say. I use my cameras and lenses but try not to abuse them. Contrary to popular belief most photographers do try not to damage their equipment!

Still an excellent camera, even though the tech is 7 years old now.

Love the built-in GPS, when it works 😃  Don't use AF so cannot comment.

The only thing I would keep in mind is that low-light images are on the noisy side.  The recently released SL-S is *much* better in this regard.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought a SL (601) new in 2018. I was a bit annoyed to pay full price and see a few months later Leica introduce the SL2, but I needed the camera at that time.
I use i almost exclusively with my ‘lux 50 SL which makes for a very nice combo. Weather sealing makes it possible to use in any situation.

It is also a nice platform for fast M lenses (lux 75 or apo 90 for example).

I see myself using it at least for the next 5 years :) 

Didier

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AZN said:

Still an excellent camera, even though the tech is 7 years old now.

Love the built-in GPS, when it works 😃  Don't use AF so cannot comment.

The only thing I would keep in mind is that low-light images are on the noisy side.  The recently released SL-S is *much* better in this regard.

I deal with low light by bouncing the flash. No noise added.

The SL is still a very capable body, I like to have IS in my mirrorless so I chose the SL2S. People always get nostalgic over older body files. They bitch about the body until the next one comes out, then they wish the new files were more like the old body...I like the SL files...But I prefer both the SL2 and SL2S if I have the choice. 

I think the SL will last you longer than 5 years.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, thatkatmat said:

.People always get nostalgic over older body files.

By my profession I'm familiar for nostalgic and technical factors of image processing.

To me best files I was getting came from Canon 5D and from M-E 220 original, before permanent fix of "corrosion" affected sensors.

Sometime ago I have asked which camera is close to those two, someone have mentioned SL...

I still like to use M-E 220, despite its colors and else rendering loss after sensor replacement. It is all about RF, Leica experience and still sharp images now.

Canon is stuck with AA filters, old and current sensors. Close to my vision colors, but...

I could get Panasonic S(omething )FF mirrorless, which has good files, but their buttons accordion is not my style.    

Sonycon have good cameras/lenses, but they still could not figure out how to not give odd colors. 

Leica is not the best camera maker, but they keep files as DNG. This is very big factor to me.

I'm not interested in paying money on monthly basis for Adobe just because they support (so-so) every RAW file format. And Canon in particular pissed me off with RP files. I had zero problem with Canon DSLR CR2 files, but to be able to open CR3 files from RP I have to change entire computer and waste my time on Adobe cloud. While DNG files from Leica M220 and Ricoh GRD old CCD sensor series are more interesting and straight forward files still for image processing...  

Edited by Ko.Fe.

37 minutes ago, Pelu2010 said:

Maybe you have a store near you, where you can test the camera. 
first time I held the sl in my hands I was shocked how big it is. 

They might have it at one store at some time as used where I would have to wait in-line if restrictions are not lifted yet. It is about two hours from my home or twenty minutes from my current work place. But nothing for now.

I'm not shocked by its size so far by comparing to what I have at this moment.

https://bit.ly/3qirVhA

Screenshot from the link above. SL with lens I would like to get for it are in the middle. Left and right from it are cameras I intend to sell for SL.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The SL2s will have noticeably better low light / high ISO performance, that SL2 better resolution.  Both have IBIS which allows you to shoot at lower ISOs if your subject is not moving.

If price is a consideration, then the Panasonic S1 / S1R are better value, if you are not wedded to the minimalist controls approach of Leica.  (I'd put why money in the Summicron lenses rather than the bodies, if I had to choose.)

8 minutes ago, jrp said:

The SL2s will have noticeably better low light / high ISO performance, that SL2 better resolution.  Both have IBIS which allows you to shoot at lower ISOs if your subject is not moving.

If price is a consideration, then the Panasonic S1 / S1R are better value, if you are not wedded to the minimalist controls approach of Leica.  (I'd put why money in the Summicron lenses rather than the bodies, if I had to choose.)

For some odd reason I was, still able to use no IS lenses at no IBIS cameras with ISO 1600 top limit. I just can't find the reason why all of the sudden it is not good anymore. And why flash has become taboo for many.

And as I mentioned before, I don't like wasting my time on some odd RAW files rather than straight forward DNG and Panasonic S series are Russian Accordions in terms of widely spread buttons to me.  

To me "better value" with photo gear is not about specs and such, but strictly about my own pleasure in using of them at my leisure time. I just want to hold in my hands and wear on my chest something nice, not just a "better value". :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

For some odd reason I was, still able to use no IS lenses at no IBIS cameras with ISO 1600 top limit. I just can't find the reason why all of the sudden it is not good anymore.

This was shot handheld at 1/2s exposure with the SL2-S. I wouldn’t even bother trying on anything without IBIS.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, beewee said:

This was shot handheld at 1/2s exposure with the SL2-S. I wouldn’t even bother trying on anything without IBIS.

I totally realize what someone like you would need IBIS. But this thread is about my particular question. Not how IBIS works. I know it already. Sorry.

M-E 220. 1/8, ISO 160, handheld. March 14, 2022. It is good enough for me and I couldn't care less if it is not good for anyone else. :)

• Like 5

I use both SL and SL2 and they provide good experience for using. The SL images are more Leica look, close to M9 and M240 style but still different from those two generations. But seems it need one stop higher shutter speed  than the M body to make sure the image is clear enough, I don't know whether it's caused by its shutter vibration. But this is resloved by SL2 series well as SL2 and SL2S have IBIS.  But SL2 series looks more Panasonic look, compared with the SL. It does not mean I am looking down on them, they both have good color, smooth tone. 

I believe SL is reliable and maybe you can get a used one in very good condition. SL2 series has higher sealing performance to protect themselves from rain. More and more people recommend SL2-S if you don't need higher resolution, and its high ISO performance is one of the best among all of the cameras. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jrp said:

IBIS means that I shoot almost exclusively at ISO 100 on an SL2, rather than auto ISO on the SL.

If you have the dosh, get yourself and SL2/s and be done with it.

Why do you think I opened this thread, if I would have heck a lot more money for SL2 (which I really have zero interest for).