Epson P900 light grey ink shortage

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One month ago I bought the Epson Surecolor P900, a2 printer.

The first few prints I made were very good, both B&W and colour. For sure an interesting tool.

Unfortunately now I cannot use the printer because Epson (Italy)  since weeks does not supply the Light Grey ink cartridge (T47A9) and does not say when it will be  availabe again. The customer service answered my enquire suggesting to try by a reseller. It seems to be disappeared everywhere. I found it available in UK or by B&H but they do not ship to Italy. By the way the code I saw on the B&H shop has a different code, therefore I would be not sure it works on my priunter.

I noticed also the Surecolor P700 Light Grey Ink is not available.

If I had know it I had kept beside my old P600 ! But after a week when  saw the P900 was working without problems I gifted the P600 to a friend!

Disappointing ☹️ and incredible !

• Like 1

Thanks David for the suggestion. Epson.eu redirect me to Epson.it ! No shop in the Epson.eu website. I checked Epson.de and even their in the web shop the light grey ink is not available.

What is disturbing is not to know when it will be available, some dealers say 2 or 3 weeks. Other say will supply as soon as available. But no statement from Epson.

Edited by robert blu

You are right Jeff, the shortage of chips is well known and affects many industries. Home working and schooling also increased the demand. Thanks for the link you provided.

Perhaps Epson (HP and Canon) should study a way to recycle the empty cartridges to recover the chip. In Italy for this kind of cartridge there is no way to recycle, we can only discard them. Some recycling program is starting only for business users and large industrials printers. Being not an expert I'm not sure this is feasible or economically viable for the smaller desktop printers.

Anyway at least today I got an answer from  Epson saying the required item "should" be available next week. I hope so, "should" is a little worrying...

robert

• Like 1

In The Netherlands there is a shortage as well, even with the professional wholesalers.

It is bizar how Covid has disturbed the worldwide supply chain in many aspects. It is frightened how dependent we have become from the far east.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry to hear that. I had this issue long ago with my HP Designjet large format roll paper printer. Had to stop offer poster prints to my clients.

I immediately checked my pro dealer in Germany for you and also here the Epson T47A9 is out of stock. What a pity.

It is a good reason NOT to buy a new fine art printer which I have planned for this month. Will keep the old one and use the inks I got in Dec. from my dealer. Maybe a good reason to reactivate the dark room and use analog cameras and films from the fridge.

• Like 2

I managed to buy one cartidge a few days ago by Photolux GmbH excellent service. Shipping cost is higher of course (it is free from Epson.it).

Light Magenta T47A6 is also out of stock by Epson.it 😞

I mainly print B&W so I hope the need of coloured ink is not too much (Epson Advanced B&W Printy Mode uses a small amount of them).

Yes, we only now realize how much dependent from the far east we are.

• Like 2