X and AF speed questions?

MaristFernas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hiya people,

I haven’t introduced myself yet, and I will. A few things in short: I am a musician (use to be a photographer in the nineties with mostly manual gear: Leica M 50 mm f2.0. Contax with Zeiss 85 mm f1.4 and 25 mm. Made my bread with it. Am planning to get back in Leica digital after a years of Sigma gear SD10/15/1M with 50 and 70 lenses.

I have a few questions:

1) I have been looking on youtube and found many AF speedexamples for the x1 and the x2. Little movies where you see how fast (or slow) the AF is. But I have to find one of the X itself? I really would like to see one. Is here someone that has such a nice little example of an X focussing on several different objects in a lighted room or outside?

2) I would like to know if the Olympus or Leica EVF also has the little focus rectangle that colors if something is in focus like on your lcd screen? Does it also has the focuspeaking as in the lcd? Otherwise, I would not have a use for a evf...

3) Is the focusring sturdy or loose? E.g. compared to the Q.

well, many questions, I hope I am not to much of a bother. I already am planning to buy a black Q this december. I know this to be a very good camera. However, for my wife (and also for  myself) I really would like this X gem. The X1/2 are to small for my taste. I ‘need’ a bigger camera I have found a nice one almost new but it is a long ride so I would like to know beforehand...

have a great one!

I have an original Leica X on a shelf somewhere.

The speed of autofocus was woeful.

The camera is from 2014 (or thereabouts) and there are much better pocketable cameras out there now.

The quality of the images from the camera was very good - the lens is excellent - but with its various foibles and autofocus lassitude, I wouldn't buy another one.

Marist,  welcome to the forum.

The X1/X2 cameras appeal to many users for their compactness and simplicity,  coupled with consistently excellent results. Using technology over ten years old reduces their competitiveness,  but not terminally. Do look at threads discussing the cameras.

I have owned one from new, which recently underwent servicing by Leica. I would not be without it, despite its slow, by modern standards, auto-focusing. Its results continue to impress. Many of my X1 pictures have been published over the past ten years, such is their quality and appeal. 

The Leica Q will give you superior results,  at a price and in a heavier bulkier body, compared with the X1.

Good specimen X1 cameras are not easy to find. Please report back to us.

Edited by wda

1. AF is comparable to the X2. Cant expect too much from old contrast detect AF, but its decent for most subjects such as portraiture, landscape which it excels. IQ with all X series are excellent for aspc. Little quirky with the aperture at closeup distances mind you

2. Uses the Visoflex 020 and the not one found in the X1/2/vario. Sluggish startup when you put your eye to the viewfinder. But i guess you can do a workaround by applying tape to the sensor to keep the viewfinder on.

3. The focus ring is smooth. It is electronic coupled mind you but you dont feel its focus by wire because it has hard stops. It feels like a manual focus lens. You rotate it to disengage from AF with a click sound, which maybe over time can losen???

I'm not sure you'll get any benifit compared to the Q, and in fact you may get frustrated at the features it lacks compared to the Q. Unless you want a all day travel carry which the X typ 113 is great for. I like to pop it in my bag and use it as a general purpose carry that you dont have to be too precious about compared to other leica gear.

Works excellent when paired with an optical viewfinder/EVF

Edited by cboy

On 10/16/2020 at 1:35 PM, MaristFernas said:

Hiya people,

I haven’t introduced myself yet, and I will. A few things in short: I am a musician (use to be a photographer in the nineties with mostly manual gear: Leica M 50 mm f2.0. Contax with Zeiss 85 mm f1.4 and 25 mm. Made my bread with it. Am planning to get back in Leica digital after a years of Sigma gear SD10/15/1M with 50 and 70 lenses.

I have a few questions:

1) I have been looking on youtube and found many AF speedexamples for the x1 and the x2. Little movies where you see how fast (or slow) the AF is.  essay writer But I have to find one of the X itself? I really would like to see one. Is here someone that has such a nice little example of an X focussing on several different objects in a lighted room or outside?

2) I would like to know if the Olympus or Leica EVF also has the little focus rectangle that colors if something is in focus like on your lcd screen? Does it also has the focuspeaking as in the lcd? Otherwise, I would not have a use for a evf...

3) Is the focusring sturdy or loose? E.g. compared to the Q.

well, many questions, I hope I am not to much of a bother. I already am planning to buy a black Q this december. I know this to be a very good camera. However, for my wife (and also for  myself) I really would like this X gem. The X1/2 are to small for my taste. I ‘need’ a bigger camera I have found a nice one almost new but it is a long ride so I would like to know beforehand...

have a great one!

thank you my issue has been solved

Edited by MaristFernas