Noctilux 1.2 reissue

ymc226

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Loving the version 1 50 Lux and version 2 35 Lux on my Monochrom more than my ASPH lenses has got me interested in this lens as the 0.95 is good but too clear and the 1.0 seems very soft. How many are interested in the reissue?  I don’t think I have a chance of obtaining the limited silver edition. What are the chances that a non-limited black edition happens?

In case you missed it there was a thread last week where this was discussed.

Collective guess is that providing the lens is re-issued limited edition would be supplemented by other limited and not so limited editions.  Patience is your friend, start saving pennies or cut on coffee.

• Like 1

If the lens is really going to look that way, then it's going to be popular. It looks slightly shorter than the 50 Summilux ASPH.

On the 50 Noctilux F1.0 version, I used to have an E58 version 1 of that lens. I was often amazed at how sharp it was, where it was focussed. In my experience it had a slightly lower contrast than modern lenses. It was also extremely flare-proof. But essentially, it was only really F1.0 in the centre, there was quite heavy vignetting at full aperture. And the background highlights were a law unto themselves. In a good way.

But that low contrast, combined with the melting out of focus areas, could produce portraits that looked painterly. It had a look I couldn't recreate with any other lens.

A new 50 Noctilux 1.2 reminds me of the world of motorcycling. Some motorcyclists want the most powerful 1000cc or 1200cc bikes. Just because. There's more power than you might ever need, but it's fun to use it sometimes. The Kawasaki ZX12R can hit 80mph - enough to lose you your licence - in first gear. It has a limiter fitted to cap the top speed at 200mph. 

But there are other motorcyclists, who deliberately opt for 750cc bikes. Still very powerful, but with added, less immediately tangible benefits. The 50 Noctilux 1.2, if it materialises, I think will be the lens equivalent of the 750cc motorcycle. One for the connoisseurs, rather than for those who want the absolute fastest possible.

Edited by colint544
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2020 at 10:29 AM, colint544 said:

But there are other motorcyclists, who deliberately opt for 750cc bikes. Still very powerful, but with added, less immediately tangible benefits. The 50 Noctilux 1.2, if it materialises, I think will be the lens equivalent of the 750cc motorcycle. One for the connoisseurs, rather than for those who want the absolute fastest possible.

I used to own a Velocette Venom Clubman (500cc) on which I regularly marshalled at race meetings. One for the connoisseurs, but they didn't make lenses thankfully.

• Haha 1