Q2 camera locking-up, then turning-off

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'd love to know if this is a common, known issue; or if it sounds like an isolated issue to my Q2 camera.

For the past few months, my Q2 has occasionally appeared to capture a burst of photos successfully, but failed to write them to the SD card, and otherwise become unresponsive to most input. It still lets me half-depress the shutter, but in doing so it'll show the remaining burst space as "--" (rather than e.g.10 in the remaining exposure space in the overlay, and it won't try any further exposures). (Edit to add: usually this is a burst of 1-3 shots, maybe followed with another small bursts–so the buffer *shouldn't* be full.)

Background:
* Prior to March, I mostly shot in single-shot mode; but starting in late March/April I began shooting in high-speed burst (H) mode. I've not seen this happen outside of burst mode.
* Initially, I thought this might be issues clearing the buffer, so swapped a UHS-I Sandisk 128GiB card with a UHS-II Sony 64 GiB card (unrelated warning: the Sony Tough card damages the locking mechanism for the SD slot, but is otherwise usable)
* Theory: Based on this usually happening only when initially turning the camera on, and my off-loading procedure involving moving the DCIM directory, there might be a race condition if it tries to clear the buffer before re-creating the directory structure.
* Oddly, this seemed to happen when I tried to change white balance from the touch menu earlier this week, again following the first burst; but that behaviour may have been just quirky timing letting me get to the menu before it locked-up.
* I've taken to verifying whenever I restore the card that it's seated properly, and the camera shows the estimated exposures remaining; so this isn't an issue with the card not sitting properly. In fact, when it happens, popping the battery out and back in has fixed it.

(I did a quick search, but failed to find an obvious thread if this were a common issue.)

Edited by cnj

Follow up: many of my Sony tough cards were subject to that recall and if it failed in the middle of the write it could lock the whole firmware up. I have used a tough card since launch with the Q2 and their shape/size seems slightly out of spec but has not broken the SD card slot it goes in and out of every day since the Q2 launched. 

Thanks; I hadn't seen a recall, so I'll check to see if it's covered. It's a Sony UHS-II 64 GB SF-G Tough card.

> shape/size seems slightly out of spec but has not broken the SD card slot it goes in and out of every day since the Q2 launched.

Prior to the Sony card, when I used a Sandisk, it would lock into the slot, and would need to be pressed to release it. The Sony card given its slightly larger size, got stuck when it was first pushed in, and in order to release, broke that mechanism. Now the SD cards are only held-in by the door. Honestly, it actually seems to be a more efficient process now.

> You should use the camera function to reformat the card every time you place it back in the camera.

I've heard this repeatedly, but never had an issue in 17 years of owning digital cameras. However, I'm willing to give it a try :)

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It took me a while to find a good time, but I sent the camera in to Leica.  Irritatingly, Leica's US site  references a pick-up service "free of charge under warranty", but their repair department says it's only available in Germany.  They did replace a circuit board, and repaired the SD card slot the Sony Tough card had broken, all under warranty.  Hopefully it'll be working smoothly when I get it back, probably early next week.  The estimated repair time was 4 weeks for a Q2 when I initially asked which is probably about what it took once they'd gotten it.