M Mount - The Black Hole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Btw.....I just bought my 50mm lux....haha...so, really cannot stop!!!

I think I'm pretty happy now as I have a pretty good coverage of Leica glass 21mm, 35mm, 50mm.

As every one says here, 50mm lux is definitely one of the best M lenses around. I'm very sure it's the best 50mm I've ever used. Very smooth bokeh and sharp. Small and light...it's a dream lens.

Just wondering if you use an adaptor to put a R lens like 21-35mm on it, doesn't it have vigenetting?

None at all, since the R bajonet is wider than the M bajonet. Also, since the R wide angles are Retrofocus desings with the rays falling onto the sensor with an angle that is much closer to perpendicular, there is much less or none of the feared magenta cast.

So much so that I had never had any magenta cast at all with the 20mm (retrofocus) Nikkor and Flektogon without any filter or postprocessing. On the other hand I have a serious magenta problem with the (non-retrofocus) 28 and 35mm VCs (as well as with the 9.8mm Kinoptik).

Your question makes me wonder and I shall make comparative shots with the 28mm/2.8R and de 28mm VC to find out.

Do you use IR filters on those 20mm lenses, with the M8's lens recognition setting off or on (without IR)? Otherwise you wouldn't get magenta corners anyway, since it is caused by the entry angle of the light coming through the IR filter, not the exit angle. The exit angle only has to do with vignetting in the traditional digital form, ie. microlens induced.

we are leica. open your wallet and pull out your credit card.

we will add your accounts and credit card limits to our own.

your account will adapt to service us. resistance is futile.

you are being assimilated.

no worries, i'm assimilated as well :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you use IR filters on those 20mm lenses, with the M8's lens recognition setting off or on (without IR)?.

I use no filter at all on the 20mm retrofocus lenses and set lens recognition setting off.

Otherwise you wouldn't get magenta corners anyway, since it is caused by the entry angle of the light coming through the IR filter, not the exit angle.

The lens to sensor distance of reflex (retrofocus) lenses is much greater than that of (non-retrofocus) RF lenses, thus the light rays reach the sensor at an angle that is much closer to perpendicular. This, if my reasoning is correct, is why these lenses produce much less (practically no noticeale) magenta cast, and not only in the corners.

.... So I began to buy more and more M lenses...ZM, CV, Leica....and now.....I ended up with:

M8

CV: 15mm f/4.5, 28mm f/1.9, 40mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.5, 75mm f/2.5

ZM: 25mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/2.0

LM: 21mm f/2.8, 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/2.8

and I still think I need a 50mm lux (low light + bokeh), 75mm cron (oh yeah, CV75mm is not sharp enough and the bokeh is REALLY diffferent for f/2.0), CV12mm (15mm is just not wide enough!!), ZM15mm f/2.8 (CV15mm is probably not good enough....)

Have I gone mad or what!!! I aleady have 4 Leica R lenses...but they don't seem to produce the same pics as the M8 and I tend to frame diffferently with a DSLR.....don't know why!!!

Anyway, just want to see whether you have the same experience as me.

We are all in the same Black Hole....Started RF with R-D1s & cron35 and in 4 months the rest...:D:p:eek:

I use no filter at all on the 20mm retrofocus lenses and set lens recognition setting off.

The lens to sensor distance of reflex (retrofocus) lenses is much greater than that of (non-retrofocus) RF lenses, thus the light rays reach the sensor at an angle that is much closer to perpendicular. This, if my reasoning is correct, is why these lenses produce much less (practically no noticeale) magenta cast, and not only in the corners.

That was my point. I don't think that this is right. The IR filter on the sensor is only 0.5mm thick, and is anyway an IR-absorbing type, not an interference filter. The magenta corner problems should be coming from IR filters on the lenses.

The magenta cast in general is independent of the lenses, and simply is caused by too little IR being absorbed by the thin filter on the sensor. Some lenses may have coatings which let through differing amounts of IR light however.

That is correct, Carsten The Tegea 9.8 mm with the IR filter next ot the diaphragm produces NO cyan shift at all. So the correct postitioning of the IR filter in the lens (where the rays are virtually parallel) makes for an elimination of the cyan shift, despite the exit rays coming at an extreme angle.

I seem to have the Gear Acquisition Syndrome in a mild form only. I have only bought two Leica lenses new—the two current Summiluxes. All the rest I have either bought used, or they are second party (read: Cosina/Voigtländer) equipment: 15mm CV, 21mm Elmarit, 28mm Summicron (believe it or not), 35mm v. IV Summicron, 50mm Elmar, 75mm CV, 65mm Elmar, 90mm Elmarit, 90mm Tele-Elmarit, 90mm v. III Summicron, 135mm Tele-Elmar, 135mm Elmarit, 200mm Telyt-V ...

And the lure of the latest lenses (the LLL, I presume) has been very mild. I am in fact getting excellent service, and image quality, from nearly all these 'obsolete' lenses. Serious, reliable providers of second-hand Leica equipment are the Leica photographer's best friend, and safeguard against bankruptcy.

The old man from the Age of Fixed Lenses