Spoiled for Choice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mornin' Leica Forum.  

Long time listener, first time caller.  I'm in a bind. I'm the current happy owner of a Q-P, and due to some fortunate happenstance, I'm able to afford another leica!  I feel like i'm outgrowing the single lens, and and have some options for said new Leica but am completely indecisive as to what I should do.  

I wanted to ask you all, since you're using the CL for some advice: 

Do I go with the Leica CL, and pair it with M Glass? Based on my budget, it's certainly cheaper than going an older new M-body or used newer M body.  

Is the IQ with a LC comparable to the Q?  I think I may be splitting hairs on this, but would love to hear from some people who own a full frame M and use the CL and if there's discernible difference. 

Thanks for anything you can offer.  

2 minutes ago, wda said:

Welcome C_L to the forum. Why not tell us what your second Leica will be expected to do for you? Apart from funding, the intended purpose is the biggest driver when making purchasing decisions, in my opinion.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Mostly Street Photography, or just every day on my hip photography.  I'm not a professional photography by any stretch, more like a happy enthusiast.   My day job is in GIS and city planning, so this is my creative outlet.  I've used my Dad's M6 back when I was little and in college, so I've grown up in a Leica household.  

3 minutes ago, Canal_Lane said:

Thanks for the welcome :)

Mostly Street Photography, or just every day on my hip photography.  I'm not a professional photography by any stretch, more like a happy enthusiast.   My day job is in GIS and city planning, so this is my creative outlet.  I've used my Dad's M6 back when I was little and in college, so I've grown up in a Leica household.  

In which case I would suggest that the CL plus the standard zoom lens (18-56 mm) would suit your needs perfectly. In low light situations you have the excellent Summilux lens on the Q_P and for general walk-around photography a highly competent general purpose zoom lens. If you have or can borrow from your father an M-lens, you can extend your range by buying the M_L adapter. That is a popular route  for CL owners. Remember, you do not need the fastest and latest M-lens to extend your capabilities. Even old lenses from the 1960s are capable of yielding rewarding pictures. Just delve into the CL images thread. You might be surprised at what you find.

And don't worry about image quality. All present-day Leicas have more than enough for the needs of most if not all of us. Yes- something like the SL2 will be in the Stratosphere, but M10, Q, Q2, CL won't be flying that much lower. I guaranty that you'll be happy.

• Like 1

Welcome, I think you would find the files from the CL to be excellent. I would go with the CL and a 23, still a compact package, then get the M to L adapter and check out some of your Dad's lenses. My preference would be a Leica 50, any vintage old or new have a lot of character. This would give you a 35 and 75 equivalent. That would be a nice street combination with your Q. Of course if the 23 was too close to the 28 on your Q you could go for the 35 TL, a fantastic lens but not small, or the zooms. You could also go with a late M digital, and a 35 and 75. I think either way you would be happy.