CL never-ready case

JBonner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just treated myself to a rather nice CL, which on first showing looks to be exactly what I wanted. I now mainly use an SL and D3, and didn't want to go the whole M route again - just needed a small range finder as an everyday carry.

As I say, so far so good, except for that bloody dreadful case! It seems impossible to use with a strap although it does offer some degree of protection I guess. What do other CL users do? I suppose I could carry it naked, as it were, but I am somewhat nervous of doing so as it is in pretty good nick at present.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Not the Luigi jobbie though, thank you very much, I find them crude, heavy and grossly over-priced.

Also, any thoughts on obtaining filters for the 40mm summicron? I do have the rubber hood in excellent condition.

Thank you in advance.

I am using the CL with a leather ever-ready case from Leica that I obtained new through the Belgian distributor a couple of years ago. However, it is true that while there are two holes for the neck strap, it would not be very practical. It doesn't bother me since I do not use this small camera with a strap.

The 40mm Summicron takes a Series 5.5 retaining ring ( part no: 11251) for filters (same series no). The filters are the"drop in" type - without a threaded ring - held in place by the retaining ring. The consequence is that filters are very hard to find. I got mine from Peter Walnes (http://www.peterwalnes.com).

The thread on the Series 5.5 ring is approximately 38.8mm. I can't measure the pitch or number of turns per inch. However, you can attach an E39 filter BUT be very gentle and stop turning it on the lens when you meet resistance.

Hope this helps

Andrew

• 1 month later...

I just joined the forum and stumbled upon your question. I have a CL and recently got one of Luigi's half-cases for the CL. It fits it like a glove, actually, I think the CL feels much, much better with the half-case than without. I would not use the CL without it anymore. Additionally, it allows to hold the CL horizontally which I much prefer (I never got used to the vertical straps of the CL). So, to sum up, I recommend heartily that you check the Luigi cases (Leicatime, I believe).

Paul

Thank you Paul.

I know a lot of people speak well of the Leicatime cases but I still can't bring myself to pay a silly amount of money for something which looks as though it was made in an evening class.

Matter of personal taste I guess, rather like the strap arrangements on the CL. I was quite prepared to dislike vertical hanging, but actually it works very well for me. I use one of the thinner Optech bouncy straps, over my shoulder, sometimes under a jacket, and it is both comfortable and convenient.