Leica X1 Underwater Housing

dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Paul was a Common Octopus - slightly odd in that they are relatively rare visitors to the UK but it was captive bred in the UK -  and some of the UK records for them look rather dodgy to me. So the octopus we normally get is the Lesser or Northern Octopus which has a life span of two years usually. These are intelligent too. I remember seeing one waiting on a mussel bed because it knew that crabs like mussels, and it liked crabs. Another was sitting inside a lobster pot with a couple of crabs in the other half of the pot behing netting. On tap supplies for later. Not so sure about football prediction though .....

^^^ but my X1 does not need 'saving' … it'll be in a protective housing and only used to depths of less than one metre. This is my fourth X1 …first 3 were all replaced under warranty or the Passport scheme. 

dunk  

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

If its of any help, I have used a Ewa housing down to 10m without any water ingress.This was with a Nikon SLR and it featured a 'glove' into which you could put your hand to hold and operate the camera. At 10m down the glove clamped onto my hand and would not come off until I surfaced. Not such a good idea! But the camera remained dry. That said, just be aware though that the top 1m is a bit of a danger zone because it is here that any clamping force due to pressure is at its least. So keep a good eye on it all the time its underwater.

• Thanks 1

Hello Dunk,

Back when you might have met a stegasaurus in 1 of the ponds that you are trying to photograph in: There was a device called a Nikonos. It had many iterations.

Not only were they a good friend in a snowstorm with many of their lenses (ie: 35mm F2.5.). They were equally good in the water to a considerable depth. Or part in the water & part out of the water.

Their only limitation was they used film (Shudder in dread.). Which is sometimes still locateable in somewhat arcane places.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

There was a device called a Nikonos. It had many iterations.

Not only were they a good friend in a snowstorm with many of their lenses (ie: 35mm F2.5.). They were equally good in the water to a considerable depth. Or part in the water & part out of the water.

Their only limitation was they used film (Shudder in dread.). Which is sometimes still locateable in somewhat arcane places.

Actually the Nikonos 35/2.5 was the lens used by Nikon Rangefinders in the 1950s. By the time t was discontinued it had a modern coating and a few have been remounted for LTM in Japan. Old lens design with new coating - interesting combination. Only the 35 and 80mm Nikonos lenses could be used above water except for a special surface 28mm (rare) and the ordinary 28mm worked ok if stopped down. But for close up work additional lenses or extension tubes were needed and were far from easy to use (believe me I was using them in the 1980s). The X1 in a EWA may not be the most ideal solution available, but will be far more effective than a Nikonos!

• Thanks 1

:( No adapters on ebay for the Nikonos 35 (vintage look?? haven't noticed it, never shot more open than 5.6 though) to Leica M (not to E).

The f and distance big wheels are a blast imo. Mine has nail polish in different colours in those groves for setting when the camera still low.

I have not measured the flange distance yet. That might be the reason, not only the diameter of the lens, due to which it possibly could collide with the frame selector.

Edited by tri

The Nikonos lenses are all such that they sit in the camera in their correct position when 'sprung' into place - unlike virtually any other mount whatsoever. So its not a simple conversion task of a mount adapter (if you get hold of the rear section of the lens behind the 'O' ring you will find that it will pullout against spring pressure - this allows it to be accurately positioned inside the camera. The sealing 'O' ring probably allows too much leeway for accurate positioning otherwise). Some lenses have been converted to Leica but this involves removal of the entire optics and remounting them in a new mount. FWIW a Nikonos close-up lens might be usable on the Ewa Marine bag with ingenuity and would mean that the X1 could be used as normal with the close-up lens being placed in front of it underwater. The Nikonos close-up lenses were a quality purpose made underwater lens (a 'flooded' lens requiring water in front and behind) and are very cheap now. I'd guess that a simple ring would allow them to be fitted looking at dunk's photo of the front of the Ewa - I think that this would be a good solution myself even though it means using a Nikon part!

Lastly, the Nikonos 35mm lens is the same as in the 1950s but if you want one in Leica fit, a late Nikonos lens is coated so this would be the one to convert.

Many thanks Paul! Only one Cup abailable for a click, but to me your answer is worth (if I had them) Champions‘ League and Davis Cup, too. 

I know the close-up screw-in lens + stick and frame for the 35mm Nikonos. Last century I‘ve been using something similar for the CU-5 Polaroid a lot, but mostly with a chin support at 2:1 (right, I‘m one of those proverbial L-d , like Jaap). 

The Nikonos close-up lens is too large for the X1, Dunk‘s elpro is the optimal solution (4 a sub-opt concept imo). 

+ there‘s (hopefully) no water in the Eva bag behind the elpro. 

(if it has to have a red dot, i’d use a Huawei 2-3 years old in an Eva or so. But who am i to know, my pics never made it to an exhibition.)

Best regards,

Simon

PS: Got it now: the Nikonos close-up lens outside of the Eva :)

Edited by tri

First X1 / Ewa 'Marine in the field ' (i.e. pond) experiments today … Poor OOF results … Thus abandoning the project with Leica X1 and Elpro VIb (4.92 diopter) c/u lens. Will continue using tele lens fitted with extension tubes and polariser to image pond snails etc … continuation of last year's experiments.

Best wishes

dunk 

9 hours ago, pgk said:

The Nikonos lenses are all such that they sit in the camera in their correct position when 'sprung' into place - unlike virtually any other mount whatsoever. So its not a simple conversion task of a mount adapter (if you get hold of the rear section of the lens behind the 'O' ring you will find that it will pullout against spring pressure - this allows it to be accurately positioned inside the camera. The sealing 'O' ring probably allows too much leeway for accurate positioning otherwise). Some lenses have been converted to Leica but this involves removal of the entire optics and remounting them in a new mount. FWIW a Nikonos close-up lens might be usable on the Ewa Marine bag with ingenuity and would mean that the X1 could be used as normal with the close-up lens being placed in front of it underwater. The Nikonos close-up lenses were a quality purpose made underwater lens (a 'flooded' lens requiring water in front and behind) and are very cheap now. I'd guess that a simple ring would allow them to be fitted looking at dunk's photo of the front of the Ewa - I think that this would be a good solution myself even though it means using a Nikon part!

Lastly, the Nikonos 35mm lens is the same as in the 1950s but if you want one in Leica fit, a late Nikonos lens is coated so this would be the one to convert.

Hello Paul,

Other cameras might be more convenient for closeups than a Nikonos but in & out of the water, including 1/2 in & 1/2 out, at the same regular distances that you would use any other 35mm lens out of the water on a nice day,  or in a snowstorm, or in a muddy or/& a dusty place, or in a rainstorm: A Nikonos is easy to use & very convenient.

By the way, A 1968 Nikkor 35mm, F2.5 lens, which is coated, produces images on par with a 35mm, F2 Summicron, Version I (Also a design from the 1950's.) when used at medium apertures.

It is essentially the same Double Gauss optical formula as a 35mm, F2.8 Summaron produced at the same time period.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

32 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

By the way, A 1968 Nikkor 35mm, F2.5 lens, which is coated, produces images on par with a 35mm, F2 Summicron, Version I (Also a design from the 1950's.) when used at medium apertures.

I think that I am correct in saying that the last of the Nikonos lenses before they were discontinued (~2000) may have had better or even multi-coating so should have a little better contrast still.

1 minute ago, pgk said:

I think that I am correct in saying that the last of the Nikonos lenses before they were discontinued (~2000) may have had better or even multi-coating so should have a little better contrast still.

Hello Paul,

That may well be true. You are certainly the expert in the field of things doing with & under the water.

I was simply saying that: Just like the 35mm, F2 Summicron & the 35mm, F2.8 Summaron: The 35mm, F2.5 Nikkor is not a shabby performer. In a majority of situations, using medium apertures, all 3 will give a performance that is pretty much the same as their current counterparts.

Best Regards,

Michael

20 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

I was simply saying that: Just like the 35mm, F2 Summicron & the 35mm, F2.8 Summaron: The 35mm, F2.5 Nikkor is not a shabby performer.

Any lens which is in production for nearly 50 years mush have something going for it. Its certainly not a shabby performer but the later lenses would be the better ones even so.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb dkCambridgeshire:

First X1 / Ewa 'Marine in the field ' (i.e. pond) experiments today … Poor OOF results … Thus abandoning the project with Leica X1 and Elpro VIb (4.92 diopter) c/u lens. Will continue using tele lens fitted with extension tubes and polariser to image pond snails etc … continuation of last year's experiments.

Best wishes

dunk 

Shooting from above the water I suppose, Dunk? 

It would be very interesting to hear more about it. Paul's an authority to know, if a syncronised under-water flash would be beneficiary and how exactly one could handle it all without an assistant.

Best wishes,

simon

PS If I understood it right, the forum will close soon for 24h.

Edited by tri

28 minutes ago, tri said:

Shooting from above the water I suppose, Dunk? 

It would be very interesting to hear more about it. Paul's an authority to know, if a syncronised under-water flash would be beneficiary and how exactly one could handle it all without an assistant.

Best wishes,

simon

PS If I understood it right, the forum will close soon for 24h.

Yes … from above the water.     'Wet arse and no fish'  this morning :(  … i.e. unable to autofocus in murky pond water or in a relatively clear pond … or with flash. Thus abandoned the project. A real pond is more than a little different to my kitchen sink. Concluded that the 'operator' i.e. the photographer, needs to be underwater to see the monitor. Written off project as a NO GO.   Live and learn.   But was not a wasted day as managed to obtain lots of springtime insect photos … but not with a Leica camera … used modified Nikon 1 J5 / 70-300mm with 90mm extension tubes … amazing results but unfortunately cannot post on Leica Forum. May try and replicate with Leica camera /lens later in week. So many Peacock butterflies and various hoverflies enjoying the spring sunshine … made up for the disappointments with the X1 :) 

dunk 

typo

I hear it's like horseback riding: once a marine photographer - always a marine photographer. Remount!

That is: redescent :D 

We all know you're great with cameras, you plan and analyze your photographic experiments and you really enjoy them, so now it's time for a work-shop with Paul in North Wales :) 

Edited by tri