Best Cable Release?

kuad82001

Hello Dennis,

Welcome to the Forum.

Leitz/Leica makes both a 25 cm/10 in  & a 50 cm/ 20 in cable release. Both of which are nice. As does Linhof. Altho the Linhof versions are the somewhat heavier "big brother" versions of the Leica versions.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

9 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Dennis,

Welcome to the Forum.

Leitz/Leica makes both a 25 cm/10 in  & a 50 cm/ 20 in cable release. Both of which are nice. As does Linhof. Altho the Linhof versions are the somewhat heavier "big brother" versions of the Leica versions.

Best Regards,

Michael

So the Linhof is better? What is the coating made out of? Is it more durable than the Leica?

Hello Dennis,

The Linhof is not better or worse than the Leitz/Leica. It is simply heavier.

If you cannot make up your mind about whether to have a 25/10 or a 50/20: Why not get 1 of each.

The 50/20 is sometimes easier to work with when you are using a camera/tripod in a more or less fixed position. Like inside in a formal or informal studio where you might set up your camera/lens & your subject & then stand next to the camera while taking a picture. Like in portrait photography.

While a 25/10 is sometimes more convenient when a person is out & about.

I also use a Kodak #1 which is a 5 cm/2 in cable release that is a combination of "B" (Shutter stays open as long as you push the plunger in.) & "T" (Shutter opens on 1st push. Shutter closes on 2nd push.).

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Dennis,

The Linhof is not better or worse than the Leitz/Leica. It is simply heavier.

If you cannot make up your mind about whether to have a 25/10 or a 50/20: Why not get 1 of each.

The 50/20 is sometimes easier to work with when you are using a camera/tripod in a more or less fixed position. Like inside in a formal or informal studio where you might set up your camera/lens & your subject & then stand next to the camera while taking a picture. Like in portrait photography.

While a 25/10 is sometimes more convenient when a person is out & about.

I also use a Kodak #1 which is a 5 cm/2 in cable release that is a combination of "B" (Shutter stays open as long as you push the plunger in.) & "T" (Shutter opens on 1st push. Shutter closes on 2nd push.).

Best Regards,

Michael

Thank you 

I use when I am doing night photography

18 hours ago, pico said:

In my modest experience the worst are those with a heavy plastic sheath, usually blue and short. They are so rigid they tend to push the camera.

We need pliable cables.

Hello Pico,

I find the Kodak #1 to be the most pliable. Also the most versatile since it gives you both "B" & "T". Please see Post #6,  just above.

Best Regards,

Michael

26 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

I find the Kodak #1 to be the most pliable. Also the most versatile since it gives you both "B" & "T". Please see Post #6,  just above.

I think I got ''em covered. Here are my spares.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, kuad82001 said:

It is my belief that the longer type is better; as far as isolating movement?

Longer and compliant/flexible is best. A self-locking option to make a long exposure is helpful but not necessary; those can be recognized by a disc under the plunger as shown below. To enable the the lock, just turn the disc before the exposure, then press it to release.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by pico
  • Thanks 1

Let me back up on the self locking cable release. If you are using a Leica M10 there is no reason to use it. The M10 allows us to set the self timer to trip an exposure after an interval on B setting and another touch on the release will close the shutter, or it will automatically close at max or set exposure time. It is a very cool, intelligent option.

Edited by pico

On 11/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, pico said:

Let me back up on the self locking cable release. If you are using a Leica M10 there is no reason to use it. The M10 allows us to set the self timer to trip an exposure after an interval on B setting and another touch on the release will close the shutter, or it will automatically close at max or set exposure time. It is a very cool, intelligent option.

I am using the M Monochrom which also has a 2 and 10 second timer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, pico said:

Hello Pico,

Not everyone who is using a cable release is using a camera with all of the modern gee-gaws. For people with cameras without all of the modern conveniences it is sometimes beneficial to be able to leave a shutter open for an extended period without having to constantly hold it open by hand.

By the way, I didn't notice a Kodak #1 in your very nice photo of a very extensive selection of cable releases.

A Kodak #1 is shorter (Please see above.) and the revolving wheel is vertical & small.

Best Regards,

Michael

17 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Not everyone who is using a cable release is using a camera with all of the modern gee-gaws.

The subject concerns the M10 which does not require a cable-release.

By the way, I didn't notice a Kodak #1 in your very nice photo of a very extensive selection of cable releases.

Oh, I had a lot of those and they were thread-bare, broken and too short. They seem to have been designed for very early cameras which had difficult to reach shutter releases. Besides Kodak, prime applications were 1930's Ikontas. Kinda a stretch to justify those old cable releases today.

Edited by pico

Hello Pico,

Yes, the thread on a Kodak #1 is relatively short. Only 1 or 2 turns. And it does not have a sufficient variety of threads to fit all cameras. Altho it is fine on an M3 & lots of other cameras. The travel of the plunger has always been more than enough for any camera large or small that I have used it on.

I think that they were often used on view cameras. 1 advantage is it portability. It easily will fit in a cigarette box by taking out 1 cigarette.

And having a "T" setting right there with a "B" setting is sometimes quite nifty.

Best Regards,

Michael