The early Leitz Film Viewer, a discussion

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A recent note from Jim Lager in the current Viewfinder magazine makes discovery of an early 1934 French dealer (Tiranty) description of the Leitz table desk viewer. At this date, it was referred to as the "VISO" or "FLECTO", by June 1935 (Dealers Bulletin)  it carried the code of BFOOX. This early literature suggests that the viewer was primarily intended for Dealers, but that some customers might be also interested. The BFOOX does not appear in the general catalogs of 1936 or 39. As a result total production is assumed to be very low. The April 1936 Leica Photography magazine announced the availability in the US; below is a photo from this announcement.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The base is 13 x 18cm and is black painted wood. The upper hinged plate is also wood and can rotate 360 degrees with detent stops.A large mounted lens and a slide-in magnifier are at the top. There is a metal guide for the film and a powered bulb inside.

Unique characteristics of the earliest units, 1934-36 are: wood hinged top plate with full body coverage, small hinges, nickle film advance knobs at the bottom and the Leica script logo painted on at the lower right of the top plate.  This Leica mark may be a marketing "photoshop" as none of the actual earliest units have been noted.

Shortly thereafter, I believe the following changes were made: wood top plate is cut-away, hinges are much larger, knobs are now knurled black sheet metal and griped at the top not the bottom, and the Leica logo is gone and the ELW metal condenser tag is mounted top center.  Here is photo of one of my two BFOOX viewers with these changes:

The same unit, rotated 90 degrees, showing the larger hinges, and cut-away wood top plate.

The next major change was to cast the hinged plate holding the lens, out of light metal, and smaller hinges integral to metal.

Here is a photo a a second unit I have with the metal plate. The logo has also been relocated, and a film notcher is shown.

One final change may have been to eliminte the rim at the top of the lens.

The view is impressive, and these viewers are seldom seen. (One at Westlitch a few years back). It seems to me that Leitz put the same thorough engineering and craftmanship into all products even if production was large or small.

I hope that a forum member has some relevant German or Italian literature or can add some information to the history.

• Like 3

My humble contribution to the subject ........Leica Desk Viewer de 1947 - Modelo “B”.

• 5 years later...
23 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

Can you show a photo? 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

• Like 2