Handheld flash options

Csacwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

SF 60 and trigger are now listed and will be available soon

Finally a proper solution for us users to have off camera TTL & HSS capability from Leica. I hope Leica can add a wireless receiver as well. this way our existing SF58, SF40 & SF64 can be use as off camera flashes as well.

• 3 years later...

Picking up on this 4-year-old topic, please excuse these basic questions:

Is the contacts pattern on an M10 flash shoe "backward compatible" with the basic centre+ground hot shoe flashes of the 1980s, such as a Vivitar 283?

If so, assuming that the trigger voltage of a vintage Vivitar 283 is not too high to damage the M10 flash electronics, that would mean that the old hot shoe flash(es) could be used in either Manual or the flash's Auto modes ... unless I am missing something. And then an extension cable could be used to feed a hand-held hot shoe flash.

If the M10 flash contacts are not suitable to fire an old hot shoe flash, are they special (size, positions) only for Leica brand flashes, or do the contacts match/fire other brands of flashes?

You are right that any flash with a centre trigger point can be triggered by a modern Leica, but I believe the Vivitar 283 is one of those that does have too high a trigger voltage, and should not be used. I can't quote a source for this, I just remember it from when I was dealing with the same issue. I used Nikon SB28D flashes IIRC without any problem - cheap used, powerful and readily available on ebay. I used it mainly in M mode, but occasionally in A mode.

Edit: I see I posted something similar on this thread three years ago!

Edited by LocalHero1953

Thank you LocalHero for the Forum's first answer. My web research indeed shows that the venerable Vivitar 283 flash can have open circuit trigger voltages ranging from 10 to 260 volts, depending on the individual unit and where/when it was made. Certainly I would test any hot shoe flash, using a digital or high input resistance meter (for accuracy, not to drain the charge circuit), before trying it on an M10.

A big question = what is the trigger voltage limit on a Leica M10 to protect its flash electronics? Does Leica show this in any specification?

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

You are right that any flash with a centre trigger point can be triggered by a modern Leica, but I believe the Vivitar 283 is one of those that does have too high a trigger voltage, and should not be used. I can't quote a source for this, I just remember it from when I was dealing with the same issue. I used Nikon SB28D flashes IIRC without any problem - cheap used, powerful and readily available on ebay. I used it mainly in M mode, but occasionally in A mode.

Edit: I see I posted something similar on this thread three years ago!

Strobe / Flash trigger voltages list

Old (original 283s) are not safe to use on a digital M.

• Like 1