One Year Of Taking My M10 To Trump Protests

johnbuckley

@srolf @gregm61 Protest photography has a deep history in the US and regardless of which info-tainment television network one chooses consume, such work carries importance far greater than taking pictures of sunsets and cool cars - not that there’s anything wrong with those.

• Like 13

Re: the comments about "you need to think before starting posts like this" and "I think I'd find something more interesting to shoot than activists looking for attention", I'd remind everyone that there is a LONG photographic tradition of attending large gatherings, protests, events, etc. to shoot photos of people, tensions, views, hopes, etc. Particularly in Washington, but also elsewhere - regardless of whether a photographer agrees with anything. It's called photojournalism, documentary, etc...personal or otherwise. Get over it - the event happened and people (supporters and naysayers, media and public) took pictures, told stories. It's a matter of the historical record. The OP focused his post on his use of the Leica and lens he used, his opinions about the equipment, which is completely appropriate for this forum.  

• Like 18

One year ago this past Thursday, I received my Leica M10 from the Leica Store DC.  I got it just in time for the Women's March protesting Trump's inauguration.  I remember the call telling me that, miraculously, the camera had been delivered just before the security perimeter would have repelled the UPS truck from driving to the Leica Store, so close to the parade route.  

At the Women's March one year ago today, it was a grey and dismal day, but I was so happy to be there, able to document it with the Leica M10.  The photos were decent despite the absence of contrasting light in the sky.  And thus began a journey of taking my M10 to demonstrations, sometimes on a weekly basis.  After a year of using the M10 exclusively with the 35mm Summilux, I can report that it is the finest digital M they've yet made, an absolutely reliable and intuitive street camera.  The combo of the M10 with the 35mm Summilux is like a marriage made in Heaven, perfect in every way.  

If you'd like to see a gallery of images of demonstrations against Trump, all but one set having been taken with the M10, see the signature link below.  And if you'd like to see some of the pictures from today's demonstration, here they are:https://tulipfrenzy.com/2018/01/20/one-year-on-the-womens-march-returns-to-washington/

I hope you enjoy the images.  More important, I hope you are enjoying the greatest digital rangefinder of all time.

Great images. Whatever your political colour, we are living through extraordinary times and photographers who record current events for the future generations should be congratulated rather than criticised.

Edited by Tragg
  • Like 4

Why?

My comment was purely non-partisan and only cautionary.

Photojournalism is indeed important and necessary when viewed from 30,000 feet and keeping personal editorial out of it is difficult.

In today's climate that is becoming increasing difficult if not downright impossible as illustrated with this comment already:

"...even the ones I disagree with (which is not this lol)."

All I'm saying is this is a slippery slope and it's very easy to veer off into the weeds.

Edited by S.Rolf
  • Like 1

My comment was purely non-partisan and only cautionary.

Photojournalism is indeed important and necessary when viewed from 30,000 feet and keeping personal editorial out of it is difficult.

In today's climate that is becoming increasing difficult if not downright impossible.

All I'm saying is this is a slippery slope and it's very easy to veer off into the weeds.

Was Nick Ut keeping 'personal editorial' out of it when he photographed South Vietnamese villagers doused in napalm?

• Like 4

You need to think before starting posts like this.

It’s interesting - I’ve been a member of the LUF since 2003. Fourteen years. Politics occasionally creeps into the discussion, but not for long. If someone were to have posted pictures of a political event not to my liking, but did it so as to show how our Leica cameras perform, I’d like to think I’d have evaluated what was posted on those terms. I think that, after nearly 15 years, I’m going to continue starting threads and posting images without worrying that my politics might offend someone. Edited by johnbuckley
  • Like 11

Hmmmm. Protest photography can obviously yield interesting images. But I would have thought that it was obvious that people mostly protest about political incumbents and rarely about the opposition. I could see this being more about the validity of free protest (agree with what they are protesting about or not) as much as anything else. Potentially, but not necessarily, political - take your choice :D.

I think I’d find something more interesting to shoot than activists looking for attention.

Think of all the iconic images that would never exist if anyone followed your advice. I think you are mixing up your personal feelings on the subject with the act of documenting American history. 

https://timeline.com/iconic-photos-political-protest-81c5701f9695

• Like 5

We should not divorce ourselves from the unpleasant realities that face us. 

There is nothing abhorrent with documenting these marches.

There is nothing abhorrent with discussing the issues in a civil, dispassionate and respectful manner..

Simply put, we are better than that..

Albert

• Like 5

This is what the M series was made for. Good use of the tool. To everyone who doesn't like the idea of these images, go shoot the right to life march to create a cosmic balance if you feel the need. Protests and protest photography have a long line of relevance - first amendment, free speech and all of that if patriotism is your thing.

With regards to personal views - there is no 'right' way, or mentality to photograph a protest. When you work for a publication, you sign a contract with regards to professional norms and ethical standards - and it depends on the publication - I know this because it's how I made my living for 8 years. You can bet that I approached a shoot for the nation's largest credible newspapers much differently than I'd approach my shoots for regional magazines that dealt with lighthearted subject matter. When you photograph at your pleasure, you can do whatever you want. That's the beauty of photography - there are no rules, unless you signed a contract - which means you're working, which is a different scenario. There are always rules when you're on the job. 

• Like 11