LeicaTL2 review by Andy Westlake

Once again .. a run of the mill review .. ' too much $ for this camera .. but it sure is pretty. '. Hopefully reviews like this will drive the price down for us believers! Oh, and it is too big, and too heavy .. Really?

Rick

Edited by RickP
  • Like 1

I'd read the review a few days ago before deciding to put my name down for one. I didn't read it as negatively as some here have done. Sure, there was the statutory "eye-wateringly expensive lenses" phrase for a Leica review (he credits only the sensor for the excellent IQ), but there were no more than the usual run of errors and inconsistencies ("large and heavy" - even though it is smaller and lighter than the XT-2 and A6300 that he compares it with). And he grumbles about things that have been grumbled about a lot on this forum (no built-in EVF, no IS, poor quality JPGs etc). In the end I think he quite liked it.

What irritates me here, as with most camera equipment reviews, is that it is based almost entirely on measurable characteristics and electronic features (weight, dimensions, pixels, price, number of shooting and focusing modes etc) and very little on intuitive usability, interface and how easy the camera makes it to get the picture that you actually want. I suspect this is not entirely the reviewer's fault - his readers probably base their shopping decisions on such things.

If it wasn't for the "softer' aspects, I would be saving money by buying a Fuji or Sony - but I will not be, because I know that Leicas just make it easier and more enjoyable take photographs than other cameras.

• Like 4

I am with Paul on this one.  I didn't read this as a purely negative review either.  

I actually agree with the author on a lot of things... although I don't think the TL2 is large and heavy...  :)

Edited by JorisV

From the review:

"...there’s no obvious motive for choosing the TL2 based on its prowess as a photographic tool."

For me, that's the main reason for choosing it.  

Those who diss image quality from the T, TL2 and the T/TL lenses say far more about their own (lack of) acumen than about the camera system.  But then, clickbait "reviewers" don't seem to care too much about providing useful information anyway...

• Like 1

I have to agree 

Once again .. a run of the mill review .. ' too much $ for this camera .. but it sure is pretty. '. Hopefully reviews like this will drive the price down for us believers! Oh, and it is too big, and too heavy .. Really?

Rick

I have to agree ........ these reviews are obsessed with how many features and menu options you can get for your money rather than the overall photo taking process and the end result.

A one day play with a loan camera can hardly be compared with few months of use as in Jono's case. 

Based on similar car reviews I should be driving a Seat Ibiza rather than a Range Rover, and from the reviewers point of view am completely stupid as a result.  

Life is too short to live by value for money alone ......  :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 2

A very 'short' hands on but Viso OFF review .. and AW makes no mention of the fact that the TL2 is part of the SL/TL system. 

In short, a very incomplete review which fails to fully communicate the camera's strengths.

And I'm weary of reading such journalese expressions as 'eye-wateringly' and 'painstakingly crafted' … Potential users' or readers' eyes do not shed tears when they see a new camera or lens .. even if reviewers might like to try and convey this impression. And there is no pain involved in making a camera body!!   

Wasted clichéd words do reviewers no favours and make them lose credibility. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire