Camera Crash with Visoflex + Continuous Mode

cookedart

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know there's a FW request thread, but perhaps there should be a firmware bug thread too?

Anyways, I've found a bug that pretty consistently crashes my camera. I'm on the latest 1.3.4.0 firmware.

- Shooting with the Visoflex 020, Drive mode is set to Continuous, Image Review set to off.

- If you fire a burst, wait until the camera blackout shows the live view again, and press the shutter again, the camera locks up pretty reliably.

- The live view locks the image on a still, almost as if it's showing an image review of the last captured image. Half pressing the shutter turns on the shooting info (shutter speed, iso, etc), so the camera seems semi-responsive...

- The camera in this condition doesn't shoot, and you can't exit live view.

- Removing the Visoflex results in a black screen on the LCD.

- Camera can't be turned off.

- Pulling the battery resets the camera.

Would be good to know if this is the behaviour with other M10s. Could be a problem with my camera, or visoflex, after all. My Visoflex is working great otherwise, including GPS with the latest (1.3.4.0) firmware update. This bug doesn't seem to affect the rear LCD.

• Like 1

NO PROBLEM

Did not have any problem when attempting to duplicate the shut-down. Set M10 to continuous mode, auto review off, EVF on live view set as default. Also tried intermittent and auto review set to hold. M10 with new firmware worked fine. 

I downloaded the new firmware as soon as it was released. If later downloads are resulting in this problem perhaps the firmware downplay become corrupted? 

NO PROBLEM

Did not have any problem when attempting to duplicate the shut-down. Set M10 to continuous mode, auto review off, EVF on live view set as default. Also tried intermittent and auto review set to hold. M10 with new firmware worked fine. 

I downloaded the new firmware as soon as it was released. If later downloads are resulting in this problem perhaps the firmware downplay become corrupted? 

Are you shooting a continuous series of images?

The camera doesn't shut down...it locks up, but stays on.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't seem to be able to duplicate this either.

are you shooting with the live view defaulting to the EVF?

I'm

1. shooting a burst

2. waiting until the EVF shows live view again

3. pressing the shutter (it takes another picture).

is this what you did?

best

For me just having LV on and using the EVF in continuous mode locks up the camera (After shooting the burst, the last image shot remains on the EVF display...it never returns to LV).

If I repeat the same scenario, yet view on the LCD, it doesn't crash.

The last image remains frozen on the EVF/LCD for at least 30 seconds then goes black. Power cycling does not restore the camera, only a battery pull.

After pulling the battery, the camera reverts back to single exposure mode.

TRIED IT AGAIN - NO PROBLEMS

I set the playback OFF, continuous mode ON, OVF  for live view, playback AUTO. Shot burst of five frames or so, EVF returned to Live View and I  took some more pictures still in continuous mode - NO LOCK UP. Using PLAT showed images on camera's LCD and test images were deleted normally by engaging MENU and deleting. Nothing seemed to be out of order

Perhaps your download was corrupted in transmission ? Might try downloading firmware again and reinstalling, if that's possible. Or it might be a problem with camera.

TRIED IT AGAIN - NO PROBLEMS

I set the playback OFF, continuous mode ON, OVF  for live view, playback AUTO. Shot burst of five frames or so, EVF returned to Live View and I  took some more pictures still in continuous mode - NO LOCK UP. Using PLAT showed images on camera's LCD and test images were deleted normally by engaging MENU and deleting. Nothing seemed to be out of order

Perhaps your download was corrupted in transmission ? Might try downloading firmware again and reinstalling, if that's possible. Or it might be a problem with camera.

You cant reinstall the same FW again. Regardless if the FW was "corrupted in transmission" it wouldn't have installed. I have successfully installed FW 1.3.4.0 and the camera is working perfectly with the exception of this bug.

Multiple people have this specific issue, so I'm not unique... I suspect that Leica must have multiple hardware vendors, and the reason some experience it and some don't is related to a difference in hardware. There are a few other bugs that are experienced by some and not others as well.

It could also be the actual EVF thats causing the issue, and again maybe some components are different causing some to exhibit the issue and others not.

Regardless, its clearly an issue that I can replicate 100% of the time.

Hi There Greg

Strange one this - I couldn't duplicate it on two different cameras with two different visoflexes.

Have you tried saving your user settings as a preset - saving presets to card and then resetting the camera (you can restore your settings after doing the test)?

Something else you could do is to save your use settings as a preset, saving them to card and sending them to me, and I'll see if I can then duplicate it on my camera.

Do you have another visoflex at your disposal? If so does it do it with that?

Some questions with regards to your settings when you do this:

Drive Mode - Continuous

Image Review - Off

What are your settings under EVF/DISPLAY CONTROL?

I have:

Play screen target: Display

LV Screen target: EVF

Auto Review screen target: Auto

Does changing your settings to this make any difference?

Is it card specific (i.e. does it still hang with a different card)?

The fact that the exposure etc still works suggests that the camera has got into a loop rather than actually 'hanging', and if that's the case it ought to be possible to recreate consistently on all cameras.

I have seen this behaviour (shutter unresponsive, live view still working), but only a long time ago (back in October) and only twice, and not in continuous mode (but then I don't really shoot in continuous mode!)

So many questions (sorry) - it would be nice to be able to boil it down to a set of settings (if you see what I mean).

best

What are your settings under EVF/DISPLAY CONTROL?

I have:

Play screen target: Display

LV Screen target: EVF

Auto Review screen target: Auto

Display

Auto

Auto

tried your settings and it still crashes.

Is it card specific (i.e. does it still hang with a different card)?

tried multiple cards: Lexar 2000x, Sandisk Extreme Pro

will test some others.

Something else you could do is to save your use settings as a preset, saving them to card and sending them to me, and I'll see if I can then duplicate it on my camera.

Do you have another visoflex at your disposal? If so does it do it with that?

copied settings and reset camera.

Bingo.

This has resolved the issue. Reloading the profile recreates the problem. 

I'll dig into my profile and see if I can figure out what the root is this afternoon. In the meantime I'll send you a copy to test.

Either some setting in my profile is causing the issue, the profile is corrupt or I wonder if its simply because the profile was created in 1.0.1.0 and then I upgraded to 1.3.4.0 and reloaded the same profile?

copied settings and reset camera.

Bingo.

This has resolved the issue. Reloading the profile recreates the problem. 

I'll dig into my profile and see if I can figure out what the root is this afternoon. In the meantime I'll send you a copy to test.

Either some setting in my profile is causing the issue, the profile is corrupt or I wonder if its simply because the profile was created in 1.0.1.0 and then I upgraded to 1.3.4.0 and reloaded the same profile?

That's brilliant news. It bears out my theory that it really is some kind of bug rather than a hardware fault.

I'll be interested to see what you can find out.

. . . could it be the different EVF settings? 

So, for those interested.

Digitalfx's camera crashes on continuous - so do some others.

1. If you save settings to a disk file and then reset the camera the problem goes away

2. If you reload the settings then the problem comes back

3. If you load these settings on a camera not previously exhibiting the problem - it crashes as well

4. If you reload the previous settings from camera in 3. Then the problem goes away.

It could be a corruption in the settings file, or it could be a particular setting which causes the problem.

Leica have been sent a copy of the settings file from the 'bad' camera

At any rate, this looks like an obscure bug rather than any kind of hardware issue, and I'm sure it'll be fixed in due course.

In the meantime we might be able to isolate what causes it and make a workaround.

All the best

• Like 2

Thanks Jono for the detective work. Im rebuilding my profile from scratch with the same settings to determine if the issue is the profile itself or the settings in the profile.

At any rate, this looks like an obscure bug rather than any kind of hardware issue, and I'm sure it'll be fixed in due course.

I never suspected a hardware fault, but rather what I was suggesting is that if two different components are used in manufacturing, sometimes the FW will crash on hardware A, but not hardware B.  Ive seen this beta testing other products before. Its harder to isolate because some beta testers can replicate the issue while others cant.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks to Jono's detective work...we have discovered the culprit.

When the camera is set to DNG+JPEG it will lock up every time. When set to DNG only it works as expected.

Thanks to everyone for posting your results. I'll update the FW thread stickied at the top of the forum with this info.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/268492-m10-fw-requestsbug-reports/

• Like 2

Ok, thanks to Jono's detective work...we have discovered the culprit.

When the camera is set to DNG+JPEG it will lock up every time. When set to DNG only it works as expected.

Definitely a joint effort - good fun though!

Basically, if you want to shoot continuous with the EVF, then set it on DNG only

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...