M10 iOS app

Tobers

Bumping this one. I'm interested to find out:

1) Is the M10's wifi signal recognised by a mac? Can the photos be accessed via the os x app "Image Capture" which is the application that comes with every mac. I can put in a sd card into my wifi printer and I can access the files through Image Capture so i'm hoping this may work?

2) Can more than one iOS device access the camera at once? For example can two iPads or iPhones view the images at one time?

Edited by Paul J

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, what can be done with DNG file after downloading it to ipad? Is it possible to import it to lightroom and process it to jpg?

Several possibilities:

- Process DNG raw file in PhotoRAW to TIFF or JPEG, then edit in whatever your favorite iOS image processing app might be.

- Process DNG raw file in Photos (iOS 10.2 or newer accepts DNG files).

- Import and process DNG raw file in Lightroom Mobile. LRM files and adjustments can be fed directly into LR on your desktop machine when you return home. I believe you can export from LRM into JPEG as well, on the iPad, but I am not an LRM user myself so cannot answer with personal experience.

Some iOS apps beyond PhotoRAW, Photos, and LRM now also accept and process DNG files. I believe Photogene 4 and Snapseed might be two of these. (Again, you need iOS 10.2 or newer for the DNG raw processing engine.)

Whatever you've shunted to the iPad as JPEG and raw files can be moved to a macOS system by connecting the iPad via USB and importing into Lightroom, Mac or Windows. They can also be moved to a macOS system with Image Capture. There is a similar utility provided for Windows (I believe it's "Photo Uploader" or something like that).

Plenty of options.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1) Is the M10's wifi signal recognised by a mac? Can the photos be accessed via the os x app "Image Capture" which is the application that comes with every mac. I can put in a sd card into my wifi printer and I can access the files through Image Capture so i'm hoping this may work?

2) Can more than one iOS device access the camera at once? For example can two iPads or iPhones view the images at one time?

1- I'm sure the WiFi signal is recognized by macOS. However, as far as I can tell from the M10 instruction manual, it does not support a operating as a web server the same way the SL does. With the SL, you can start the WiFi into Web Server mode and from that download reduced and full resolution JPEGs through a browser interface one at a time, not through Image Capture. The M10 instruction manual does not list any WiFi "Web Server" mode operation.

2- Again, assuming that the M10 app is like the SL app, no. When the SL attaches to one app, all other connection requests are refused; same for the Web Server mode with the camera supplying a hotspot. However, with the SL's web server mode engaged and connected to an external WiFi network, I was able to see and access JPEGs on both macOS and iOS simultaneously. (This is not particularly fast, and you cannot operate the camera while it is operating as a web server.)

The only fundamental difference between the SL app and the M10 app that I can imagine is that the M10 app allows raw file transfer to the connected device. I imagine this will show up in the next revision of the Leica SL firmware and app as well. 

Sounds like the app opens the possibility of a future M10-D (no LCD) with control of the settings and image review on the iPhone/iPad.   :)

Right! 

That is the camera I am waiting for... 

Well, not quite. Such a camera would have to have everything that the M10 has in terms of a UI to support controlling the WiFi settings and configuration, operating Live View, etc etc, as well as the ability to generate JPEG rendering on the fly. None of that is in the current M-D typ 262. 

I've heard this on quite a few forums. I love the M-D ... having remote control and image serving for review without an LCD on the camera would be great, but there's a LOT of stuff needed to make it work and be useful. All of which would complicate the M-D concept way past what it is at present.. I feel that the concept would be so different that it wouldn't be the M-D at all anymore. 

• 1 month later...

I have this issue with the app: I can't download DNGs to my iPad/iPhone if I use my home wifi to connect the camera to the app (JPGs download w/o a problem though). It causes the app to crash. However, if I set up a wifi point in the camera, and then connect my iPad to that wifi point, downloading DNGs works.

Anybody else had that issue? Wondering if it's got something to do with my home wifi setup (I'm using google mesh wifi)...

I have this issue with the app: I can't download DNGs to my iPad/iPhone if I use my home wifi to connect the camera to the app (JPGs download w/o a problem though). It causes the app to crash. However, if I set up a wifi point in the camera, and then connect my iPad to that wifi point, downloading DNGs works.

Anybody else had that issue? Wondering if it's got something to do with my home wifi setup (I'm using google mesh wifi)...

I assume you have enabled DNG in the app?

mine works in either method.

• 1 month later...

1) yes, but there is no way to access the M10 as a server. No way to download from M10 as a volume. :-((

2) yes, this works.

• 1 month later...

All, I'm a longtime Nikon shooter (D810/D4s) who just made the jump to the M10 and the Leicauniverse.  I'm loving the M10 and lenses so far, but the iOS app doesn't seem to transfer full-resolution files, only rather low-resolution versions that might represent <10% of the full resolution of the in-camera files (either JPG or DNG).  Can anyone tell me if there is any way to transfer full-resolution files from the M10 wirelessly to any other device (without removing the SD card that is :)

Many thanks!

• Like 1

All, I'm a longtime Nikon shooter (D810/D4s) who just made the jump to the M10 and the Leicauniverse.  I'm loving the M10 and lenses so far, but the iOS app doesn't seem to transfer full-resolution files, only rather low-resolution versions that might represent <10% of the full resolution of the in-camera files (either JPG or DNG).  Can anyone tell me if there is any way to transfer full-resolution files from the M10 wirelessly to any other device (without removing the SD card that is :)

Many thanks!

When you connect to the camera in the MENU tab go down until you see Camera Roll Resolution. Change it to 24mp.

Anyone found a way to download more than one image at a time?

I found out that I can select more than one in the play photo index, but is there a way to select all pictures at once? Edited by sabink
  • Like 2