Leica R-Adapter L available

satijntje

Advertisement (gone after registration)

(As far as I'm aware, Leica can no longer update lenses to ROM specification ... they've run out of parts. I could be wrong on that.)

I did run into this issue with Leica Wetzlar (at least that is what they told me on the phone). But Leica Nidau in Switzerland still had parts and coded a couple of R lenses for me a few weeks ago. 

I have been using my R-L adapter for a week now. I got it to use the 80-200/4 ROM lens until I can afford the 90-280 SL zoom.

So far I am quite happy with the setup and manual focus is a breeze. Now if I can just find a camera bag that will hold my SL, 24-90 zoom and my 80-200/4 with the adaptor installed.

Not sure this link will work but here are a few shots taken with the SL w/h 80-200/4

https://www.facebook.com/steven.kornreich.1/media_set?set=a.10211968336704592.1073741853.1257864849&type=3

Edited by kuau

Not sure this link will work but here are a few shots taken with the SL w/h 80-200/4

https://www.facebook.com/steven.kornreich.1/media_set?set=a.10211968336704592.1073741853.1257864849&type=3

Nope.  I wasn't able to see your shots.  Perhaps you have to make them public in some explicit way.  

scott

Thank for share,

How the performance for this lens ??

Sultan

So far really liking it, one day would love to have the 90-280 zoom but just to expensive. I am never a huge fan of adapting lenses yet I must say the L-R adaptor is of high quality

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To finish a discussion that was going on several pages ago -- I fired up the Adobe "dng_validate" executable that comes in the DNG1.4 SDK and took a look at the actual numbers that contain the distortion and lateral chromatic aberration corrections for the 21-35 Vario-Elmarit R (which has them) and for the 28-90 V-E R, which doesn't have them.  I'd be happy to do the same for any DNG files created by the SL for the 35-70 2.8, the 80-200/4 or any other model that has ROM contacts and can be used with the new adapter and firmware 2.2.  Files at the two extremes of focal length are most interesting.

The corrections are given for each of the three colors, R, G, B, in terms of four coefficients of an expansion in powers of the radius-squared of the actual radius in the undistorted image that corresponds to the radius at which the pixels are collected.  (This is essentially a way of describing the distortion curves that used to be given in the technical specs of each lens.)  The expansions are different for each color, so this also provides a sort of APO in software, and should lead to sharper corners.  For example, the four parameters mapping the red plane in my 21-35 at 21 mm focal length are  Radial params:     1.000187, -0.079544, 0.060207, -0.019497   The green plane parameters are Radial params:     0.999494, -0.079853, 0.060742, -0.019788. 

The important thing is that the expansion provided is different for each focal length and differs by color.  The expansions describe distortion of several percent.  For the 28-90, however, the equivalent parameters at all focal lengths are simply 1.0, 0, 0, 0, which give no distortion.

I'm curious to see if there are relevant corrections for any other R lzoom enses.

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 2

Today I used the Vario-Elmar-R 80-200 with the R-L adapter, the APO-Extender-R ROM and firmware 2.2 installed.  With this setup, the Lens Profile menu is greyed out and "Unknown Lens" appears there.  The focal length is recorded as 0mm.

I've finally got myself an adapter, and had a play.

With no lens attached, you do get access to the full lens list in which, as ramarren confirmed above, you can hide the lenses you don't have.

So my Apo 2x ROM isn't recognised (on its own) as an R device BECAUSE it has the ROM contacts, but is "unknown" to the camera.

But my other R and 3Cam lenses are obviously recognised as an R device, as it allows access to the list.

So the workaround would be to use an non-ROM 2x APO (11262-APO) with your lens, and use the nearest listed lens profile. i.e. my 90 APO ASPH with a 2x and select the APO 3.4 180 R from the list.

I can't see why Leica cannot update the firmware to recognise the device, and show the pass through lens info x2. They'll probably need new profiles added.

John 

• 2 weeks later...

So my Apo 2x ROM isn't recognised (on its own) as an R device BECAUSE it has the ROM contacts, but is "unknown" to the camera.

But my other R and 3Cam lenses are obviously recognised as an R device...

Just noticed, sorry

I meant ..."So my Apo 2x ROM is recognised (on its own) as an R device. But my other R and 3Cam lenses have no effect and so you can select them from the R list.

John

Edited by jpattison

Reply from Leica... (Apo extender R 2x not showing lens info)

Dear John,

Thank you for making us aware of this issue. I have discussed it with my colleague at Product support and as we have not encountered this behaviour before nor did we have an explanation, we asked the Product Manager to investigate an possible software upgrade. Hope to get an answer from him soon which I will forward to you.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I would like to follow up on this topic. It appears that 35-70 f/4 and 80-200 f/4 Kyocera zooms with ROM contacts provide focal length information to the SL when used in connection with the R to T adapter. Has anyone ascertained whether the in-camera corrections vary depending on the focal length used? Relatedly, is there any improvement to the quality of the file when one uses a ROM version of one of these lenses? Or is the file the same regardless of whether one uses a ROM version of the lens or a non-ROM version of the lens if, in the case of the non-ROM lens, one manually inputs the lens type?

I just checked with a 35-70/4.0 Kyocera zoom, with rom contacts, using the Leica R to SL adapter.  While the lens ID and the focal length are transmitted, there does not seem to be any special lens profile applied by the SL.  The distortion and LCA corrections in the dng file are nulls.  There seems to be very little distortion at the 70 end, but some correction is desirable at the 35 end.

scott

Thank you. That suggests that as a practical matter, having the ROM version of one of

these zoom lenses doesn’t matter much for purposes of digital corrections of lens aberrations, but the ROM version might be helpful use with a flash or for having focal length available on exif data. If anyone has experience with the Kyocera 80-200 in this regard, it would be interesting to hear about it.

• Like 1