M-P shutter curtain stays open even after turning off the camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks Jaap.

I'm not sure what I expected, but it looks like a rather complex arrangement of cogs, gears, solenoids, and motors too I guess. Probably something to do with Leica's heritage in the design and manufacture of mechanical cameras. Do you know if Mark Norton provided a description to accompany the photos?

I'm also interested to know if the shutter curtain is cloth or metallic, if anyone knows.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

Today I was walking around with the camera and had to constantly put back the lens cap on due to strong sunshine. When the shutter curtain is open, then there is nothing which protects the sensor from direct sunlight coming through the lens.

Jayant, you wrote open shutter shouldn't be a problem, but I guess too much sunlight would damage the sensor!?

It is puzzling to me, that LocalHero1957 and Infrandom have the same issue, specially with EVF-2 attached, but there is nowhere an active thread on the issue from anyone else in anywhere. Wondering if this can be fixed with the next firmware update? However, I have to say, I had noticed the issue last September but I thought it has something to do with exposure metering. And the firmware updates since last year haven't fixed it. Perhaps it is the EVF-2 that causes the issue??

I already called Leica Camera US and ask them for instruction how to ship the camera from Canada to US. They were too busy with the SAP training. I hope tomorrow I can reach someone.

Highlight mine.

Well, I am paranoid about that as well and always keep the lens covered, either by lens cap or by keeping the whole camera covered by camera pouch. But then I always wondered whether there is a danger in shooting Sun directly. I asked this question in various forums and didn't get a satisfactory reply. Then I decided to experiment on my Nex-6. I shot half an hour of time lapse sunset pictures. Nex-6 taking a picture of Sun every 10 sec. I kept my fingers crossed for possible sensor damage. At the end there was no damage to the sensor and I had beautiful timelapse sequence. :) Edit: I used 15mm lens at f/5.6 for this if that matters.

Will I do this to my M240? No. I don't experiment with costly stuff but my Nex-6 experience tells me not to worry about it.

Edited by jmahto

I wouldn't do any experiment with the sensor of my new Leica M-P. :)

Let's get it fixed and I will do experimenting with photography. I have been shooting photos for decades with all sort of brands but was always intrigued by the look of Leica photos.

As long as the lens isn't aimed directly at the sun, i wouldn't worry. Walking about with the camera slung around your kneck or on a wrist strap that's not likely to happen for extended periods, unless the sun is close to the horizon. A camera is supposed to be ready for action, on and lens cap off.

Jaap, I am glad you said: Send it to Wetzler! I wrote an email (In German) to Leica in Germany and they came back in less than 24 hours with completely clear instruction and even filled out Proforma Invoice. :) I am sending it in today and will update when I hear from them.

Edited by Leicabuff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Leica also informed me that my M240 needed a replacement shutter mechanism.

The camera was sent in for repair just prior to the firmware update being released - that many weeks ago.

Leica said they would do the firmware update whilst they have it in for repair. Perhaps that's what's causing the delay; it too requires 'carry out software adjustment'!

• 1 month later...

After about 7 weeks, I asked Leica: what is the ETA that I will get the camera back from repair? Leica wrote: they have been waiting for the replacement shutter to be delivered. Obviously they had to replace lots of shutters as I have seen from the reports in this forum and ran out of it. I might get it in a week or two.

So much to my Leica M Eggsperience. Eggs, because I had to wait long for the chicken to hatch. :D I am not giving up yet. ;) I will have good times with my Leica M some day. :) 

• Like 1

I haven't had any of these problems with my M-P.

However, the fact that they're waiting for the shutter parts doesn't necessarily mean they change so many of them that they're out of stock. It more likely means that they change so few of them that it isn't worth stocking such parts for the infrequent and occasional need.

Very very few service/repair places stock all the parts needed to completely build a camera (or any other device) as a matter of course. They keep on hand the most often called for parts and order the others when needed.

After about 7 weeks, I asked Leica: what is the ETA that I will get the camera back from repair? Leica wrote: they have been waiting for the replacement shutter to be delivered. Obviously they had to replace lots of shutters as I have seen from the reports in this forum and ran out of it. I might get it in a week or two.

So much to my Leica M Eggsperience. Eggs, because I had to wait long for the chicken to hatch. :D I am not giving up yet. ;) I will have good times with my Leica M some day. :)

For your information, I waited 8 weeks end to end for the replacement shutter to be installed and for the camera to be returned. With the new shutter fitted I have had 1 anomalous actuation in 500 (approx) actuations. I'm monitoring the situation, but I'm informed the camera also keeps an error log so if it needs to go back again for a third shutter, there won't be any dispute regarding the malfunction.

In your case I hope the delay implies the subcontractor is doing something to improve the design as I suspect there's something marginal with the current mod standard. Just read around the topic, I'm aware of someone else on the forum who is soon to have a third shutter on one of his M240s and a second shutter on his other M240.

Could it be the reason why the shutter was changed on the M262?

I've read this too, but nothing conclusive to say it is a different shutter in the M262, but someone correct me.

One safe bet: the replacement for the M240 WILL have a different shutter. Maybe similar, but an improved version to fix the marginality of the current device. Place your bets...

I've read this too, but nothing conclusive to say it is a different shutter in the M262, but someone correct me.

One safe bet: the replacement for the M240 WILL have a different shutter. Maybe similar, but an improved version to fix the marginality of the current device. Place your bets...

Indeed, the shutter seems to be physically the same between the 240 and 262. Somehow, I suspect the action has been tuned differently on the 262, not only to change the sound, but also to minimize the failure chances.

• Like 1

I haven't had any of these problems with my M-P.

That is because THE LORD stood at the Leica Store and kissed your M-P. You are the chosen one. Me and Steve Ricoh and others in this forum and other forums, who are getting even the third shutter replaced are not blessed. I bet more than half of the Leica M owners don't even notice that the shutter curtain in their camera stays open, after turning the camera completely off.

Edited by Leicabuff
  • Like 1

For your information, I waited 8 weeks end to end for the replacement shutter to be installed and for the camera to be returned. With the new shutter fitted I have had 1 anomalous actuation in 500 (approx) actuations.

That is a good news. I started noticing issues after 350 actuation on the camera and sent the camera in with 850 actuation. The bad news is that the camera is now 21 months old. I didn't use the camera at all. I hope I get the camera by next weekend, because there are big events in town and I can beat the hell out of the camera with 1000 photos a day to test the new shutter.

In your case I hope the delay implies the subcontractor is doing something to improve the design as I suspect there's something marginal with the current mod standard.

Thanks