"Sudden death" of old S2 battery

alan.y

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The battery that came with my second hand S2 worked normally for about 8 charge cycles. Then I drained it completely in use--the first time I'd done so. Afterwards it hasn't charged properly. The charger's "80%" light comes on immediately upon connection, but the charging never completes. In fact even after leaving the battery "charging" overnight, the charge level is immediately shown as very low when I insert into the camera, and it drains quickly, after maybe 30 shots.

The battery must be very old, so this is not surprising or bothersome. (I've since bought a PRO1-type battery made for the S 007; it works normally.) I'm just curious about whether this "sudden death" (apparently triggered by one complete draining of the charge) is normal. 

Thanks.

Edited by alanjung

Lithium Ion batteries typically die rather quickly at the end of their lifespan (typically 500-1000 cycles, depending on how it has been treated)

we are having similar troubles at work, everyone has kept their batteries as they have upgraded cameras (Canon 1D bodies) and now the batteries are dropping like flies, the guys are noticing they run flat quicker than normal, and not long later the batteries aren't working at all.

• Like 1

I buy cameras with accessory  battery holders as they can take rechargeable AA cells.  Even when you buy a new battery with a makers name plate to be used on an older camera,  you have no idea how long it has been sitting on the shelf.  

M8 & 9 and Nikon D3 are the exceptions

Edited by tobey bilek

The battery that came with my second hand S2 worked normally for about 8 charge cycles. Then I drained it completely in use--the first time I'd done so. Afterwards it hasn't charged properly. The charger's "80%" light comes on immediately upon connection, but the charging never completes. In fact even after leaving the battery "charging" overnight, the charge level is immediately shown as very low when I insert into the camera, and it drains quickly, after maybe 30 shots.

The battery must be very old, so this is not surprising or bothersome. (I've since bought a PRO1-type battery made for the S 007; it works normally.) I'm just curious about whether this "sudden death" (apparently triggered by one complete draining of the charge) is normal. 

Thanks.

That is interesting that you are now using the battery for the S (Typ 007) instead. It has a higher rating than the old model. By the way the S (Typ 007) does not work with the earlier battery. I tested this.