Firmware 1.202

hepcat

No!

I sent my Leica M9-P in Germany for focus problems. The customer care has upgraded my old firmware (1.196) with the new 1.204. My M9-P is still using the old sensor.

I wrote an email to Leica to demand an explanation, he said that the firm 1.204 is right  even with the old sensors. All this seems very strange.

• Like 1

I would find it strange if Leica made a firmware version which worked with the new sensor but not the old one. That would necessitate to produce two distinct version for every update that was yet to follow, even if it was only to support the codes for new lenses. Much more rational to carry a firmware version capable of supporting both sensors. 

The product manager of the M told me, that the new firmware should not be used with old sensors. But he did not explain why and what would happen.

It 's very strange . This news contradicts the email I received from Leica.
How can we know the truth?
How do you know which type of sensor is located in the camera?
Edited by albertospa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would find it strange if Leica made a firmware version which worked with the new sensor but not the old one. That would necessitate to produce two distinct version for every update that was yet to follow, even if it was only to support the codes for new lenses. Much more rational to carry a firmware version capable of supporting both sensors. 

There will be no more firmware versions for the M9. The differences between the old and the new firmware concerns only the color rendering, nothing else - so the product manager told me.

• Like 1

And that is correct. The new cover glass will produce a different basic colour rendering. Mostly this will not be a problem for many users, but the new firmware is tweaked to give more or less the same colour output from the new sensor. In the end all can be corrected in the postprocessing settings anyway, so this is not a big deal.

• Like 1

And that is correct. The new cover glass will produce a different basic colour rendering. Mostly this will not be a problem for many users, but the new firmware is tweaked to give more or less the same colour output from the new sensor. In the end all can be corrected in the postprocessing settings anyway, so this is not a big deal.

Not a big deal? Not a big deal? The Leica is an econimic camera and the repair was really cheap!
UNBELIEVABLE!