Does Lightroom 6 show AF versus M in Data??

Msohio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use LR6 and it seems to me if one is in A mode and manual focuses with the focus ring, the image data in LR shows that it was taken in A mode. With my Nikon DSLR and I go to M mode, it is picked up, but I changed it with the selector not the focus ring.

I was trying to see how good I was or was not between manual and AF focusing so I went out and shot a bunch of images both ways over the course of a day. I assumed it would show in the data but I believe now it does not, or is there some Leica secret I don't know. And I guess it would only be a Q question and the other bodies are MF.....Mike

Mike.

have you checked your EXIF data in another image preview program?  I can see that shots taken with my Q in both Manual and Auto are correctly identified under the Exposure Program tag when I use the Photospector app on my iPad. (Other EXIF readers are available for different operating system platforms.)   Maybe LR doesn't specifically display the content of this tag.  

Edited by lucerne

I use LR6 and it seems to me if one is in A mode and manual focuses with the focus ring, the image data in LR shows that it was taken in A mode. With my Nikon DSLR and I go to M mode, it is picked up, but I changed it with the selector not the focus ring.

I was trying to see how good I was or was not between manual and AF focusing so I went out and shot a bunch of images both ways over the course of a day. I assumed it would show in the data but I believe now it does not, or is there some Leica secret I don't know. And I guess it would only be a Q question and the other bodies are MF.....Mike

Mike.

are you confusing switch setting A with manual focus.  

The A mode is one of the group P A S M,  and when A is selected (you will find these options in the menu), the camera automatically assigns an optimum shutter speed to provide the correct exposure in conjunction with your preset ISO and your chosen aperture.  It has nothing to do with focus.   

When you check your EXIF, it will show that shutter speed selection was either A(aperture priority) or M (manual).  It isn't referring to focus and my previous response was misleading .  Sorry!

On the Q, focus can be Automatic or Manual, but on previous Leica Rangefinder M models, lenses could not autofocus. 

Gordon...I don't think so. I have the dial on A. WB on Auto. ISO set to auto with a max of 3200 and shutter speed of 1/500. That combo shows up as Aperature mode in LR6.

If I leave all those settings the same, except I unclick the focus ring and manually focus, the LR6 still shows it to be the Aperature mode. So when I review my images I cannot tell which I manually focused and which were taken in AF.

EDIT: Forgot to add that I am using the PASM picture mode.

Mike

Edited by Msohio

Firstly, "P" in PASM isn't picture mode. It's Program mode and it limits your ability to separate aperture and shutter speed.  They are automatically  linked.  Try switching the default to A in the menu. (Not on the lens or top dial.)

I take your point about difficulties identifying an autofocused or manually focused shot.  There doesn't appear to be any identifying tag but I'm going to investigate this a bit further.  

-------------------//////////////////

Program Mode selects what it thinks is the optimum combination of shutter speed and aperture that the camera’s algorithm decides is best for your scene. However, you can change either of these settings yourself and your camera will adjust the other one to keep the exposure correct. If you want a shallower depth of field, you simply select a lower f-stop setting and your camera will increase the shutter speed to compensate. If you want motion blur in your image, you can reduce the shutter speed and your camera will adjust to a smaller aperture (higher f-stop). Using Program Mode is an excellent way to familiarize yourself with the exposure variables — it gives you some control over the exposure, but still ensures that you’ll usually get a properly exposed photo.

Edited by lucerne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The dial is at A, the Scene Mode in the Menu, I called it picture mode, is set to PASM.

I do not know where to set A in the Menu, just the dial. I am comfy with Auto ISO but when I want more control, I rotate the dial to a shutter setting and set the f/stop on the lens ring.

Where is there a Menu setting to change mode??? I don't see the Program mode either. I'm feeling stupid at the moment fearful of your response.

The dial is at A, the Scene Mode in the Menu, I called it picture mode, is set to PASM.

I do not know where to set A in the Menu, just the dial. I am comfy with Auto ISO but when I want more control, I rotate the dial to a shutter setting and set the f/stop on the lens ring.

Where is there a Menu setting to change mode??? I don't see the Program mode either. I'm feeling stupid at the moment fearful of your response.

Don't worry.  These settings are confusing because the camera switches between A and P mode when you turn the aperture dial from A to one of the aperture settings such as 1.7.   If you have selected PASM in the scene mode in the menu, then that's all you have to do.

Play with the settings.  To get familiar, make sure that your rear screen is showing all shooting settings and at lower left corner you will see the symbol P or A when you turn the aperture dial from A to any numeric setting. .   You are then in auto shutter speed with your selection of aperture.  Then see what happens when you turn the top speed dial away from A. And have the aperture set to A.  The screen will display S, and you are now working with selectable shutter speed.  Finally, move the aperture dial to any aperture setting except A and the speed dial to any speed setting.  Now you are completely in manual exposure mode and your exposure meter will probably be indicating over or under exposure.  You then have to manually adjust both speed and aperture to get a correct exposure and that may be more difficult for you to use as a beginner.  Experienced users are able to judge what they should set these at.

I suggest you you keep your top shutter dial on A until you are comfortable shooting in this mode.  Don't worry about knowing if you used auto or manual focus.  Use whatever helps you get a sharp image with focus on whatever you need.   Both auto and manual focus gives very good results.  

Good luck.  It's worth the effort.  I'm sure you'll appreciate what this camera offers. If you are confused, just leave everything on A until you are comfortable.  You'll still get great results.

Edited by lucerne

We are on the same page. I guess it got confusing after the LR6 data answer got resolved as they don't have that level of detail to show if the image was takenen using AF or the manual focus ring.

When shooting with the Q, I always use the f/stop ring for DOF, never have it set to A and either set ISO manually or use Auto ISO. On the dial I'll use A and Auto ISO until the shutter speed drops or the ISO goes to high for the circumstances when I'll rotate the dial to set the speed and f/stop manually until I have the ISO where I want it. When the dial is on A and the f/stop ring is on an opening, the screen shows A in the lower left like it should.

Love the flexibility and simplicity of the Q.

Curious, I'm not sure if I'm getting my screen to show all settings, which part of the menu is that? At my current setting, I do not see any change in the lower left corner and the symbol P or A... Sorry to jump in on this thread, but I'm interested in this as well, thanks!

Don't worry.  These settings are confusing because the camera switches between A and P mode when you turn the aperture dial from A to one of the aperture settings such as 1.7.   If you have selected PASM in the scene mode in the menu, then that's all you have to do.

Play with the settings.  To get familiar, make sure that your rear screen is showing all shooting settings and at lower left corner you will see the symbol P or A when you turn the aperture dial from A to any numeric setting. sss

I have the dial on A. WB on Auto. ISO set to auto with a max of 3200 and shutter speed of 1/500. That combo shows up as Aperature mode in LR6.

If I leave all those settings the same, except I unclick the focus ring and manually focus, the LR6 still shows it to be the Aperature mode. So when I review my images I cannot tell which I manually focused and which were taken in AF.

Mike

A in LR6 indicates an Exposure Program set to Aperture-priority AE.  It has nothing to do with Autofocus.  Your description of your settings matches Aperture-priority AE mode assuming your aperture setting isn't also on A.   Switching to and from Autofocus will not change the camera Exposure Program.

I don't believe the Q writes any information in the DNG metadata regarding focus modes.    At least I haven't seen any focus mode information in the few DNG files I've looked at.  Still waiting for my Q to generate more samples :)