Another new “T” owner!...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After carefully reading our friend Jono’s review and closely following the excellent work of our friends Sharookh and Robert (euston), I decided to upgrade to “T”!... These are the folks who must share the bill if “T” doesn’t work for me! ;-)

This is my first day and I am still struggling with the settings; and, I still have a long way to learn everything about this camera. I am using it manually with my Nikkor lenses and despite carefully reading several times Jon’s very interesting suggestion about focusing

(http://www.slack.co.uk/2014/Leica_T_Manual_Focus.html),

I must admit I could not (yet?) notice that shimmering. I could not even find the focus peaking for these shots that are my very first tests day…. But I love the camera and hope to learn using it very fast! :)

p1392667929-3.jpg

My “T” with Angenieux zoom, 35-70mm, F/2.5

p1392668000-4.jpg

p1392667854-4.jpg

p1392667940-4.jpg

p1392668055-4.jpg

p1392667895-4.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats Louis, well done.

No focus peaking sorry, but the shimmer, once seen is definitely there.

Keep using it, you'll further grow to love it. Try a wider M lens if you can. I have been using the shorter M lenses, 28 Elmarit, 35 Summicron, and 50 Summicron.

All small, light, discrete, but nice. I'm keen to try something like the 15 Voigtlander soon.

Gary

• Like 1

Hi Louis

Congratulations - I hope you'll be very happy together - as for the shimmering, it's less obvious with slower lenses, but you should still find it pretty easy to focus with a bit of practice (I still do, and I have an early developing cataract in my focusing eye). 

Lovely shots as well

All the very best

• Like 2

Hi Louis

Congratulations - I hope you'll be very happy together - as for the shimmering, it's less obvious with slower lenses, but you should still find it pretty easy to focus with a bit of practice (I still do, and I have an early developing cataract in my focusing eye). 

Lovely shots as well

All the very best

Much appreciated, dear Jono and thanks again for all your good tips that I think everybody is  appreciating!

Today, I had my first bad surprise with T! I was not able to make the focus assistance (magnifier) work. So, I went to Leica Store for help and it did work with leica lenses!... Therefore, it seems with the combination of Novoflex and Nikon lenses it is not working!!!.... I was very disappointed!...

I don't know if with a new firmware, leica could fix this problem!... I certainly hope!

As always, dear friend,

Louis

Edited by Louis2

I have no personal experience but reading this I guess it should work, shouldn't it?

http://www.soundimageplus.com/soundimageplus/2015/2/7/my-leica-t-typ-701-lens-collection-just-got-bigger

Much appreciated, Joris; but somehow, it is not working for me and the guys in leica store couldn't make it work, either!!!!... I also have the latest firmware! 

Much appreciated, Joris; but somehow, it is not working for me and the guys in leica store couldn't make it work, either!!!!... I also have the latest firmware!

Hi Louis, just to say that on my T all my non Leica lenses work fine with the focus magnifier. I use 2 M Zeiss lenses. A Voightlander 15mm LTM and 2 Pentax fit. My adaptor is also Novoflex. So the set-up might be, T-M adaptor followed by M-PK adaptor,and then of course lens. All work fine. Have you tried on both Aperture and Manual setting? The difference between your set-up and mine is that you use the direct T-Nikon adaptor, missing out the Leica T to M adaptor, perhaps there's something to check out. If you could check your adaptor and lens on another body, that would useful.

Sorry your being troubled by this Louis, there must be a logical reason,it will be found. Keep chin up. Regards Tony.

• Like 1

This is odd, Louis. I have the Novoflex LET/PENT adapter and the magnification works just fine with Pentax lenses.

This is the way it works for me:
When I mount a Pentax lens with the adapter the camera automatically sets itself to manual focus. With the shooting mode set to A, S or P, the lefthand dial also assigns itself automatically to magnification control. I can then turn the dial to get the magnification I want (3x or 6x). The shooting mode must not be set to M for manual or SCN. As far as I can see, these modes do not permit you to assign magnification to the lefthand dial.

You’re using the latest firmware version (1.310) so it can’t be that. Your LET/NIK adapter is unlikely to be the problem. This is a long shot but is it possible that you have inadvertently set the shooting mode to M? This would prevent the lefthand dial being assigned to focus aid magnification. The only other thing I can think of is that you need to turn the lefthand dial twice before the 3x magnification kicks in. On the first turn it simply wakes up and you have to give it another turn to get the first level of magnification.

We’ve got to get to the bottom of this, Louis. I can’t bear the thought of your having another faulty camera.

• Like 1

This is odd, Louis. I have the Novoflex LET/PENT adapter and the magnification works just fine with Pentax lenses.

This is the way it works for me:

When I mount a Pentax lens with the adapter the camera automatically sets itself to manual focus. With the shooting mode set to A, S or P, the lefthand dial also assigns itself automatically to magnification control. I can then turn the dial to get the magnification I want (3x or 6x). The shooting mode must not be set to M for manual or SCN. As far as I can see, these modes do not permit you to assign magnification to the lefthand dial.

You’re using the latest firmware version (1.310) so it can’t be that. Your LET/NIK adapter is unlikely to be the problem. This is a long shot but is it possible that you have inadvertently set the shooting mode to M? This would prevent the lefthand dial being assigned to focus aid magnification. The only other thing I can think of is that you need to turn the lefthand dial twice before the 3x magnification kicks in. On the first turn it simply wakes up and you have to give it another turn to get the first level of magnification.

We’ve got to get to the bottom of this, Louis. I can’t bear the thought of your having another faulty camera.

Thanks for all the information, Robert!

I sent an email to Novoflex, asking them if they had different adapters for Nikon lenses and why mine is not working! The one I received has LET/NIK on it, meaning for Nikon, I guess. I removed it from the camera and lenses several times to make sure they are connected in right way! But no change!

I think the settings on the camera are right. I put A, as I am going to shoot with aperture priority. It is in Standard; and focus assistance is ON!... When I put the lens on, the left dial only changes ISO. But the Focus mode, MF, stays grey!....

Also, do you have any "connection" on the camera side of the connector? I mean some kind of electronic connection. Mine has nothing, so I don't know how it could give any message to the camera?!... In the Leica store, they tried it with Leica T lens manually and it worked fine!

It is amazing how unlucky I have been lately with cameras!!!... I have film cameras for 40 years (since I was a baby ;) ) that are still working fine!...

Edited by Louis2

Ok, hate to admit this, but my first T I had to return.  Was seriously faulty.  So you might consider this.  My replacement works like a charm.  There does seem to be some lemons out there so don't hesitate to request a replacement from your dealer while still under warranty.  My first one which I had two weeks would freeze up, and oddest thing was would suffer shutter freeze for no apparent reason but if I held the camera on its right side....it would clear!  

• Like 1

Louis, if the left dial is showing ISO you should be able to change it. Move the left dial so that the corners of the ISO box show red. Then tap the box and you should see the options you can assign. Tap the focus aid option which should now appear in the left dial box. I sometimes find that I have to make several attempts at bringing up the options. It seems that I don't always tap the box in exactly the right place. And you have to be quick because the box disappears if you delay.

My adapter looks very like yours. There is no electronic connection on the camera side, only a mechanical link on the lens side so that the blue ring on the adapter can change the aperture of the lens.

The focus mode shows MF but is greyed out because there are no choices to be made. The alternative would be AF which is obviously not available with an adapted lens.

Good idea to write to Novoflex. Let's hope they have the solution or you may have to opt for billinghambaglady's suggestion. In the meantime let's bring the collective expertise of this forum to bear on your problem!

• Like 1

Louis, if the left dial is showing ISO you should be able to change it. Move the left dial so that the corners of the ISO box show red. Then tap the box and you should see the options you can assign. Tap the focus aid option which should now appear in the left dial box. I sometimes find that I have to make several attempts at bringing up the options. It seems that I don't always tap the box in exactly the right place. And you have to be quick because the box disappears if you delay.

My adapter looks very like yours. There is no electronic connection on the camera side, only a mechanical link on the lens side so that the blue ring on the adapter can change the aperture of the lens.

The focus mode shows MF but is greyed out because there are no choices to be made. The alternative would be AF which is obviously not available with an adapted lens.

Good idea to write to Novoflex. Let's hope they have the solution or you may have to opt for billinghambaglady's suggestion. In the meantime let's bring the collective expertise of this forum to bear on your problem!

Robert, you are my hero! :) :)

I just returned from my second visit of Leica store in DC and tried my lens/adapter combination on other Ts. The result was the same and I was relieved that my camera is OK!... No one in the store could figure out what is going wrong and they all blamed the adapter and the lens!..

Now, I returned home to find your note, and followed your instructions.... Guess what! IT IS WORKING!..... :D :D

Thank you so much, my friend. You made my day! :D

Just one last question; the blue ring on the adapter, do you put it wide open or the other way?

Warmest regards, 

That's great news, Louis! I'm glad I to have helped.

The blue ring changes the aperture of the lens. If you look into the lens as you turn it you'll see the iris open and close. When you look through the viewfinder in A mode you'll see the speed change as you alter the aperture with the blue ring. Set it to where you need it for the shot or do what I do and leave it slightly off fully open which leaves enough light to focus by but sets the aperture to where lenses often perform at their best.

That's great news, Louis! I'm glad I to have helped.

The blue ring changes the aperture of the lens. If you look into the lens as you turn it you'll see the iris open and close. When you look through the viewfinder in A mode you'll see the speed change as you alter the aperture with the blue ring. Set it to where you need it for the shot or do what I do and leave it slightly off fully open which leaves enough light to focus by but sets the aperture to where lenses often perform at their best.

Many thanks again, dear Robert! :D

• 1 year later...