Vintage of Leitz 90 mm Summicron?

hlockwood

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just took delivery of a 90-mm cron from Calumet. The price seemed awfully good ($595) for this lens in "Ex" condition. I have 2 weeks to decide whether to keep it.

Indeed, the lens appears essentially new, cosmetically. Both front and rear elements are flawless. Of course, this is an older lens, marked "Leitz" rather than "Leica." The S/N is 3265308. (BTW, it weighs 470 g compared to the latest version's 500 g.) I'll be doing some tests over the next couple of days to judge the performance

Is there a site where I can determine when this lens was manufactured? And can anyone venture a comparison with the current apo, asph version? TIA

Harry

Yes it is a 1983 serial number ... but is it the R or the M version?

This link Leica Objektiv Serienummer og produktionsår -Leica Lenses serial number and production year shhould list serial numbers by year of manufacture.

The Leica Pocket Book 7th Edition has performance data and MTF charts for this lens plus most other Leitz/leica lenses

Dunk

Great stuff at your web site, Jan.

Thanks Harry!..:)

the lens you like to buy is great stuff too....;) ..don't think to much about "there is a better lens".go for pictures and you will be happy...:)

I use older and newer lenses and I'm happy with all of them...

regards,

Jan