Playing old lenses with S2

JeffoJeffo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello !

I'm Didier from FRANCE.

A happy owner of a S equipment (S2P, 35mm summarit, 120mm Apo-Macro-Summarit, and a Mamiya 200mm Apo mounted with a metabones ring) since february of 2014. I owned a long times Hasselblad equipment (in argentic) and, after, a Mamiya 645AFD-II with a ZD back. Really I love MF.

Now I use this fantastic body in parallel with a Leica Monochrom.

I'm happy to be with you and hope my english will be OK...

Now, I want to congratulate Jeffo for his magic work. It's very very amazing. I'm happy and quite proud to discover that french lenses are always OK. I own Angenieux lenses when I was young. But my experiences about them was around 35mm system. I don't know anything about Cinema mount.

Please Jeffo can you explain me (with pictures if possible) what mounting you use (V adapter for the body but how to modify the lens ???)

Bye

Didier

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeffo !

Really, the bokeh is fantastic. You explore there on of the more interesting domain in the artistic photography : the blur. With the Leica S, we are mainly focused on the sharpness (it's normal with the global quality of the Leica S). Here we can see the other side of the quality of the lenses. With very old lenses it's really amazing.

The bad news is the price ! I've seen some sales on ebay. Wouaw ! The Angenieux lenses for cinema are very very expensive !

Edited by Didier A

Hi Didier :

Collecting Leica is like an investment along with love and interest of it's perfection and performance.   It's the same for old lenses especially those that has a great deal of history behind it.  That's why I fall in love with these cine lenses.

Here is a lens from Dr. Rudolph performed on S2.. His works are simply stunning!

16857056007_5e8fdf6768_k.jpgHugo Meyer Kino Plasmat 75mm f2 + S2-60 by Jeffo Wong, 於 Flickr

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, really nice thread and although I'm usually just a lurker around here (this is my first post :), I needed to ask you how you managed to adapt the Contax lens on S2? I thought the flange distance was significantly shorter on the Contax Yashika mount. That sounds amazing.

I know that the lens can cover medium format because there is one guy who managed to mount it on mama 645, but for that he had to perform mayor surgery on the body and the lens finally bolting the lens permanently on the body after shaving 2-3 cm off the mirror and without the ability to stop the lens down or focus beyond 6m. 

Thanks for the reply

Daniel

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

What Leica S legacy lenses are you thinking of?

As far as I know there are none. This is a digital system.

Oh wow I didn't realize that.........

The lenses I am getting are the 30mm 70mm and 120mm and I believe these are all Leica S lenses........... and hopefully not soft/out of focus/Blur like the above examples :) 

Oh wow I didn't realize that.........

The lenses I am getting are the 30mm 70mm and 120mm and I believe these are all Leica S lenses........... and hopefully not soft/out of focus/Blur like the above examples :)

Are you really this clueless? The thread is about legacy lenses, of which there are non in the S range as all lenses are still current, so obviously are old and not designed for either S or any digital....

john

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Are you really this clueless? The thread is about legacy lenses, of which there are non in the S range as all lenses are still current, so obviously are old and not designed for either S or any digital....

john

So why are you using them if they don't focus......or is it the 100% bokeh look that you are after..................:) :) :) :) :) :)

So why are you using them if they don't focus......or is it the 100% bokeh look that you are after.................. :) :) :) :) :) :)

What are you on? I do not have these old lenses, just S and a few Mamiya 645 but JeffoJeffo has been posting shots with exotic old lenses for quite a long time....

• Like 1

To reply to few people's question on the lenses I used that is not focus or soft focus.  I want to share a bit of my experience using these legendary cine (movie) lenses from pre WWar II or shortly after WWar II.

Most of these lenses were made for Black and White film shooting. Some of them are for 16mm.  At the time, in order for them to shot something in such a small format on film to blow up to a movie house screen. The scientist and optician spend most of the effort in the design and material of these lenses.  In most some cases, in order for them to achieve a large aperture lens for low light shooting,

They only able to get the focus point at the center and the rest of the focal point are blur or different type of Bokeh.   As for me, I am in love with this imperfection of design which reflect in the Bokeh. Of course, if I step down the images will be super clear and fine since the glasses used were far more better than any of the new lenses made these days.

Anyhow, perhaps my photos are not so good but I want to demonstrate what these lenses can do on the S system especially at wide open. Therefore, almost all my photos are at wide open.  It’s fascinating to see what they can do on digital color CCD as some of them never used in color shooting.  Bring these lenses to life is a joy and great apretiation to those scientist that enlighted the optical industry!  Some of the designs were still used in many famous brand!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi, really nice thread and although I'm usually just a lurker around here (this is my first post :), I needed to ask you how you managed to adapt the Contax lens on S2? I thought the flange distance was significantly shorter on the Contax Yashika mount. That sounds amazing.

I know that the lens can cover medium format because there is one guy who managed to mount it on mama 645, but for that he had to perform mayor surgery on the body and the lens finally bolting the lens permanently on the body after shaving 2-3 cm off the mirror and without the ability to stop the lens down or focus beyond 6m. 

Thanks for the reply

Daniel

Hi Daniel :

Yes, this lens is quite special as it's the first version of it's kind.  For this one to be use on S2, I have to give up infinity.  I can only shot this within 5-6m on S system.  However, to see this lens perform on S system is fastinating.  I love it!  Anyhow, I will change it for Sony A7r shortly as on E mount it can be use in all range.

Many thanks for sharing this with us too.

Cheers,

Jeff

hi Daniel :

Here is the photo of this lens.

Jeff

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Jeffo,

Thanks for the reply. Isn't it an 85 1.4 Planar on the picture, and not the 1.2 version?

Do you maybe know, since the same optical formula is used in the cp.2 super speed cine lens which is coming in PL mount, whether the cine prime is easier to adapt since PL mount has a much longer flange distance than all of the full frame mounts?

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi Jeffo,

Thanks for the reply. Isn't it an 85 1.4 Planar on the picture, and not the 1.2 version?

Do you maybe know, since the same optical formula is used in the cp.2 super speed cine lens which is coming in PL mount, whether the cine prime is easier to adapt since PL mount has a much longer flange distance than all of the full frame mounts?

Cheers,

Daniel

Hi Daniel :

It's T1.4 so it's about f1.2.

Cheers,

Jeff