I like film...(open thread)

Doc Henry

An analogue memory from the Faroe Islands.

This image may need some explanation... For quite some years I brought two Mamiya 7 bodies with me, one loaded with colour film and the other with infrared film. Mounted on a tripod, using the same lens and same lens settings - including sufficiently large dof for both visible and ir-light - two closely matching images are captured. The images are then (manually) stacked in photoshop, easier said than done, this one..., and after some blending and layer adjustments and similar exercises, a quasi-coloured infrared image emerge.

The end result vary from the most boring to more interesting. Personally I like this one, taken on one of the rare sunny summer days on the Faroe Islands (apologise for any Faroe readers, but a sunny day is not the rule in the midst of the northern North Atlantic). Personally, I like the mix of the dramatic sky (from the ir-capture), the greenish tint from grass moving in the wind (from the colour capture, obviously) and the characteristic Faroe sea/fjord/mountain landscape.

The procedure is interesting in that you hardly know what to end up with. The hit rate obviously increases after repeated error & trial, but it is still hard to know what the computer will bring forward.

But fun it is...

Mamiya 7 with 43mm. Fuji Provia 100 + Maco IR 820c w B+H 092-filter.

(And yes, you can of course follow a similar procedure with digital captures. But my preference is for film.)

Excellent, Helged. The surreal property that is immediately apparent on first view is explained by the process - Beautiful.

oops .... did it again, here's the shot --

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

evening rush (tri-x)

• Like 15

and a portra 400 shot at 1600 and channeling the inner-early-70s guy when this type of color deconstruction was considered cool -- all about translating the mood --

• Like 16

Another one by my daughter, trying to convince me to render unto Caesar...

(Shen Hao 4x5 w/ Delta 100)

26323139948_5dfda8d474_b.jpgS002 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Eoin wonderful shot congrats for your daughter

oops .... did it again, here's the shot --

Jazz at Smoke last Thursday night .... TriX shot at 1600 ..

Steve really nice potrait in color and beautiful b&w jazzmen well done

Another Perth shot by the young 'un...

(Shen Hao w/ Delta 100)

28417428829_99fd425414_b.jpgS003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

Stones and rocks like real nice b&w tone Eoin

Helged thank you for your reply . It's important to know the size of your film picture

when you scan.

It determines the quality of your picture about details and color . I always Scan in TIFF with my scanner

and save in TIFF in a HD . If you don't develop and scan yourself ,after dev. your lab  save your pictures

in one CD in compressed JPEG , not in TIFF , because in Tiff it's too large, needs

a long time to save and not enough space for one CD , according to my Leica Store Lab.

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2