Copyright Assault in UK

pico

Guest tanks

BTW, for the record Facebook does not remove the EXIF data in regards to copyright notice. Just checked it out. As a matter of fact it makes it the title of the photo.

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/hargreaves-orphanmyth.pdf

Hmmm. So its alright really:rolleyes:. No definition of 'diligent search' though - one for the courts I'd say, especially when usage has been made of an image which is subsequently shown to be attributable relatively easily. Hasn't the government got better things to do?

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/hargreaves-orphanmyth.pdf

Hmmm. So its alright really:rolleyes:. No definition of 'diligent search' though [... snip good stuff ...]

Myth

I will have to register my photos to claim copyright

Fact

Copyright will continue to be automatic and there is no need to register a work in order for it to enjoy copyright protection.

A typical case of not telling the whole truth. Certainly copyright is automatic, but protection through the court requires registration. It always has.

A typical case of not telling the whole truth. Certainly copyright is automatic, but protection through the court requires registration. It always has.

Not in the UK. No registration (with whom?) required.

With so much use of "likely" and "unlikely" the explanatory document has about as much substance as a soggy biscuit.:(

So much hinges on the definition of 'diligent search' and the statutory instrument when it appears.

Pete.

PS: Bill, have you had a haircut or something? New suit? Got a tan? There's definitely something different about you ...

Edited by farnz
  • Like 3

Not in the UK. No registration (with whom?) required.

No registration is necessary in the USA unless one wants to bring an infringement case before the court. The copyright holder must register it before the court will hear the case.

How is that handled in the UK?

Copyright rests with the originator, full stop.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

Same in the USA. How would one seek a legal remedy for infringement in the UK?

Through litigation. The difference is we do not have to assert our ownership of that which we already own - in other words we have one less layer of costly bureaucracy.

Regards.

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like 2

Someone needs to invent/create a file format which disallows alteration of metadata and that will not allow to be screen grabbed or copied by finder or program. i.e. read only - if opened in any program like photoshop you can not access copy functions or any other alteration tools. If the file is open on a computer, no copy or screen grab action can be made. etc It should have the option of self delete or destruct/corrupt on a specified time.

Edited by Paul J

Someone needs to invent/create a file format which disallows alteration of metadata and that will not allow to be screen grabbed or copied by finder or program. i.e. read only - if opened in any program like photoshop you can not access copy functions or any other alteration tools. If the file is open on a computer, no copy or screen grab action can be made. etc It should have the option of self delete or destruct/corrupt on a specified time.

Not possible. If it can be viewed it can be copied one way or another. In principle, you could replace all computers, tablets, smart-phones etc. with new hardware hard-wired to recognise and respect such a format ... but good luck trying.

Someone needs to invent/create a file format which disallows alteration of [...]

Paul, I thought my ex-boss was conspiring to give me a heart attack when he asked me to make that happen so long ago. It cannot be done.

What could surprise us would be a revolutionary increase of monitor resolution along with a similar increase in network speed so that what we post today would be considered of inadequate quality to copy.

Dunno, really. People seem to lower their expectations to the level of their wallet.

Guest tanks
Someone needs to invent/create a file format which disallows alteration of metadata...

How would one input the metadata or even modify it then?

How would one input the metadata or even modify it then?

Metadata is merely added textual data which can be edited in text editing software or via metadat editing software. Adobe allows for the creation of custom metadata templates which allow for user designed metadata additions too. Its embedded in the image file but easy enough to extract or delete.

Ha. I thought that might sound a bit like that but it's true, right?

Henry Ford was told a V8 was impossible to build. He refused to listen.

Obviously this is a vastly different scale of thing but for us photographers our copyright is a big thing. I have enough drama already on this front and I just fear the worst with this orphan law. Anyone can walk away with our pictures unless something is done about it. It doesn't even stop people from doing it with old laws in place so something needs to change.

• Like 3