M240 Card Problem Video

Rick

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been spending time the last 2 days trying to achieve good video from the M. While doing this I have been running into a card problem. I get intermittent card writing errors.

After pushing the M button the camera responds with the error on the LCD: Attention SD card too slow for video. The camera creates files that are corrupt and can not be read by the camera or passed over when moving around previewing photos on the card in the camera. The card has to be reformatted.

I am using a 64GB Panasonic SDXC I 10 90/45 from B&H Photo. This card should be fast enough? Do any members who have kept up on the card issues know if I am running a card that is too slow or is this a firmware problem? This card seems to work fine for a while after formatting.

Thanks

Rick,

I have only tinkered with video on the M, but it worked fine on these cards, at least one of which is slower than the 90/45 you mentioned:

1) Panasonic SDHC I, 16GB 10 U1 90/25 (worked on 2 different cards)

2) SanDisk SDHC I, 16GB 10 U1 45MB/s (worked on 2 different cards)

Firmware: 1.1.0.2

(Side note, on both SanDisk cards I've had one incident each where the battery drained inexplicably - haven't used the the cards enough to say it's a SanDisk problem. If it happens again on a SanDisk card, I'll relegate them to backup status rather using them in rotation until I hear more about a possible battery drain issue.)

Mark

• Like 1

Sandisk replaced my faulty Extreme 45 mbps 16GB card with a Pro 95 mbps 16GB card. I was most impressed that it would take a burst of 15 compressed DNG images at one go before it slowed up. I have just tried it on Video and it works fine on that as well for as long as it took me to get bored and end the recording (about 5 minutes), at least for PAL 25 fps. I don't know if you use NTSC 30 fps, that requires a higher data rate.

Wilson

• Like 1