Leica hood for Lux 35 asph pre-FLE

Stein K S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought a used Lux 35 asph pre-FLE. And I was very waste of the "awfull" original hood (I actually think that any Leica lens should and could be used without hood...)... However, the 12466 hood still looks very cool... and I will possibly try to find one...

My question is how this seemingly regular clip-on... but also "square" hood stays in possition?

Regards, Stein

I don't have the 35 lux ASPH pre FLE, but I do have the 28 cron which the 12466 is intended for.

Looking at my 28 cron there are small marks at the position were u place the hood. The hood graps into these to stay in position.

Picture from Meister Camera:

2020880d0b.jpg

Here u see the small gap the hood graps into.

Great choice btw, the 12466 looks great. Unfortunately I find it way to expensive to consider.

I bought a 12466 from popflash as I have both the 28mm summicron and 35mm summilux.

The #12451 square hood on the 28mm summicron is very solid and bulky - which unfortunately sometimes results in loosening of the front lens group :mad:

The 12466 is round so reduces the likelihood of such forces being applied.

The summilux hood is not quite as bad.

It's not all roses with the 12466 though:

The alignment is fine, but the jaws that hold it in place are just thin formed metal.

After using the hood for just one day it was no longer tight and rattled against the lens :(

I fixed this with a thin piece of electrical tape on the inner part of the hood.

On both I often use no hood and just a single filter ring ( with the glass removed ).

IMHO Leica seems to have spent 30 years trying every different type of hood - and they are still not as good as Zeiss's bayonet system.

I also not like the Leica pull out hoods - the Zeiss ones allow the lens to be stored in a pouch without and lens cap .

• Like 1

I don't have the 35 lux ASPH pre FLE, but I do have the 28 cron which the 12466 is intended for.

Looking at my 28 cron there are small marks at the position were u place the hood. The hood graps into these to stay in position.

Great choice btw, the 12466 looks great. Unfortunately I find it way to expensive to consider.

Thanks a lot! I guess I should have seen these slots... wrote his just hours after receiving it. Do also find them 320 euro plus... and yes, that is after all quity a bit...

By the way... Now after shooting a few shots with it... just amazing lens! Draws just beautifully! Possibly like your 28 Cron...;)

Regards, Stein

Thanks a lot! I guess I should have seen these slots... wrote his just hours after receiving it. Do also find them 320 euro plus... and yes, that is after all quity a bit...

By the way... Now after shooting a few shots with it... just amazing lens! Draws just beautifully! Possibly like your 28 Cron...;)

Regards, Stein

I have the 35 cron ASPH and its a great performer, but the 35 lux ASPH always looks very interesting indeed. Maybe when I'm rich one day :)

Can highly recommend the 28 cron btw, if u ever want something wider.