.58?

DBerens

i have a .58 M7 and love it for 35mm. i wear contacts and have never had a

problem seeing the framelines or seeing outside of them either.

a great thing about the .58 is that there is just a single frameline in the viewfinder

when using a 35mm lens, that really makes the viewfinder less cluttered.

kevin

edit: when using a 50mm lens i use the 1.25x magnifier to bump the view up to .72, i found this

necessary for more precise focus.

edit: when using a 50mm lens i use the 1.25x magnifier to bump the view up to .72, i found this necessary for more precise focus.

That's the principal reason I sold the 0.58 body I had for a year or so. I found the lower magnification made precise focus more difficult when shooting "on the run".

Would agree with the above and add that a .58 works very well with a 35, giving you a frame similar in size to a 50 in an older M, (M4, M5). Also works acceptably with a 28, but using a 50 would be like using a 75 on a .72. Maybe the magnifier works well for that, but I prefer to use my M5 for the 50.

As an aside, the .58 has a brighter viewfinder than a .72. There is an optical reason for this, but I can't recall the details.

I love the .58. I primarily use the 35mm. When I rarely use the 50mm it does not bother me. But I love seeing outside the frame. I wear glasses, but even if I didn't I think I would prefer the .58. I also feel that my composition has improved with this finder. Now that I have it the .72 on an old M6 is not as enjoyable to shoot with.

Rodney

Love it. I had M6 first with .72 then went with M6TTL with .58 soon after they introduced it and it made M photography finally work for me. I'm currently selling my M6TTL backup which is a .85. Works great with lenses 50 and up but I always still feel cramped. My eyes are getting older and I like the extra real estate the .58 gives. It also aids in composing because you can see so much of what else is going on around (esp w 50). I reguarly use a 90mm with it no problem but probably should get the 1.25x thingy. I had once but found a bit of a pain if one wanted to quickly change from 90 to 28 and then also having to unscrew the diopter so I returned. Will try more inexpensive HK ones. So yeah, .58 is a great option if you feel .72 is cramped.

I am buying a M6 (one body only). I am leaning towards a .85 since I will be using M75/1.4 a lot.

I am also buying a seperate Voigtlander 35mm Brightline viewfinder for 35mm lens, which will be my walkaround.

Will this be a good approach? Thanks.

Viewfinder works for me especially with the 21 mm lens where accurate focusing doesn't really matter given the large depth of field. This is especially nice with the M7. But for a 35 mm it looks a bit different to me. Switching from viewfinder to rangefinder, measuring and composing does not only require time but exercise as well as accurate focusing is considerably more important.

I had the M6 as 0.85 and as 0.72 as well as the M7 with all three magnifications. Eventually i decided for MP 0.72 and M7 0.72 selling off the 0.85 and 0.58. With the mentioned magnifier i get along very well for 90mm and still can see the 35 mm.

However, i have put diopter correction lenses on the Ms being a very big improvement and avoiding the glasses.

good luck;)

I have a 0.58 M6ttl, and imho it's just fantastic for a 35mm lens in anything at or brighter than f2 at 1/15th with ISO 800 film (maybe 1600 on a good day). Darker than that and I have had problems focusing, but it's more to do with my eyesight than anything connected to the camera, and hey, how dark do you want it to be : )

I need to say thank you to William (again!) for putting me on to this particular combination.

I'd also say that my 0.58 framelines are brighter than those on my 0.85 (another M6ttl), and that I comfortably use a 50mm lens on it from time to time without a diopter. That said, I wouldn't want to use the 0.58 with anything longer than a 50 - I think the framing would be too loose.

Enjoy whatever you go with!

all the best

Adrian

I also am an eyeglass wearer. I have both an M6ttl 0.58 and an M6ttl 0.72. When carrying both bodies, I use a 35 (my primary lens) on the 0.58 and a 50, 21 or very rarely a 90 on the 0.72. I use the 50 on the 0.58 when I carry only one body and still want the 35 with me. I have never had any focusing accuracy issues with the 50 on the 0.58. As an aside, other than an M3 I owned, all the several other Leicas I have used were 0.72, mostly with a 35. I took to the 0.58 immediately, trading in two (meterless) 0.72 M bodies I had at the time.

I have a .72 MP and only use lenses 50mm and wider. I wonder, can someone who's had .72 and .58 finders tell me if the 75mm framelines on the .72 are close in physical size to what the 50mm framelines would look like on the .58? Does this question make sense? I just want to know how small the 50mm framelines will look through a .58 finder.

Oops, and the .72

72copy.jpg

Looking at them side-by-side the difference seems fairly small but the 75mm frame is already really small...I like the subtle difference it makes in the 35mm frame. So on the .58 does it look like you could use the 24mm and estimate the framing using the full frame (no lines)?