M8.2 to buy or not to buy?

iriscaddis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4000 actuations is nothing; the M8 will just be nicely 'run in'.

Having to run filters can be an issue if you do a lot of shooting in low light where there are intense light sources. If you don't do a lot of shoots in, er, car parks, the UV/IR filters are no issue at all - and act as a bit of protection for the lens.

M8.2 versus M9? I guess the start point is how large do you need your files to be? If you regularly print A3 through to A0... you'd be better off saving for the M9. If you will mostly print A5 to A3, the M8 will be more than capable; so save your pennies and invest the money in glass.

1. What others are saying are true, its very nice to have the ability to shoot in inafred, when you want to or not. Some say black and white is better shooting with a "naked" lens meaning no IR/UV cut filter installed. If you want to "fix" the colors just install a B+W UV/IR Cut filter. Problem Solved.
  2. 50,000 shutter actuations might be too much, anything below is fine :)
  3. As everyone is saying here. Its up to you! BUT I would suggest getting an M8.2 which I have. If you shoot RAW, the M9 uncompressed files will be around 37MB! That is alot of data per file to be storing on your computer, an M8 raw file will be 10MB. If your not gonna be printing that big and you want to save some harddrive space M8 it is. The m9 just has 18mp with a bit better noise, one review I read, said the noise can be the same as the M8. But if you need 18mp for the crop-ability factor then get it, if not M8.2 would be the better choice.

M8.2 because of the top lcd for number of images left and battery life, quieter shutter than M8, Vulcanite covering, feels better more grip than the M8. Sapphire Glass so your shirt buttons or anything else will be scratching it. Good Luck!