M8.2 to buy or not to buy?

iriscaddis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings to all.

I am new to this forum and glad I found it.

Several Questions on buying a used M8.2:

1. I have heard that an M8.2 still has sensor issues (no pass filter) so basically there's color issues. Is there a work around? I have heard about lens filters...???
  2. What would be a reasonable shutter actuation number? Is 4000 too much?
  3. Or do I save my $$$ and buy an M9?

Thanks for your time.

1. Easily solved with IR-cut filters. Leica makes them for big $$, but other companies also have them for less.

2. I've had my M8 for a little over a year now. Roughly 7500 actuations. I shoot on and off. But almost daily. So judge for yourself. I think it's acceptable.

3. No! Get a M8 (original I would even suggest) and buy a good lens. 28mm Summicron would be my suggestion. Or go big and get my favorite lens for the M8 --> 24mm Summilux. It's a BEAST. Love it.

Hope that helps...

Greetings to all.

1. I have heard that an M8.2 still has sensor issues (no pass filter) so basically there's color issues. Is there a work around? I have heard about lens filters...???

Thanks for your time.

Think of it this way - the M8.2 doesn't filter out the infrared. That allows you to make the choice of whether to filter it out, or not. For many photos you'll want the filter. Or, if you want to shoot IR photos, you are able to do that too. The M8 leaves the choice up to you, which to me is a good thing.

Comparing M8 to M9, each camera offers features that the other lacks. They are both excellent choices.

I shoot with the M8.2. I got it a year ago right after the M9 was announced as I was just getting back to rangefinder photography and didn't want the investment the M9 required. My M8.2 was a factory demo and had a one-year Leica warranty. It has performed flawlessly for me. I believe the M8.2 incorporated all of Leica's fixes for the "teething pains" of the M8 and is a very solid body.

I am torn as to whether to get an M9 or stay with the M8.2. I shot for several years with crop sensor DSLRs so the full frame of the M9 is not as big a draw for me as it would be for a film M shooter. I shoot crop and full frame DSLR bodies currently so I am in a position to appreciate the differences. I like the M8.2s two-meter view finder frame lines, the top LCD display, and the sapphire cover on the rear LCD. None of these are available on the M9. I miss the M9's 1/3 stop ISO settings and the ability to menu select the lens that is mounted. Full frame and higher resolution is nice as is losing the IR filters, but neither is a big deal to me. I don't know if the 14 bit data in the M9 DNG files is important or not.

You pays your money and makes your choice. For the time being I will stay with the M8.2. I am constantly thrilled by the images it produces with my 28mm and 50mm Summicrons.

The technique of the M8.2 is the same as of the M8, except a few features e.g. saphir glass on the display of the M8.2.

I think 4000 US $ is very a high price for a M8.2. Maybe you get a used M8 for less money. So you have some bucks left to buy lenses. Or you save your $$ to buy a M9.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome!

I would go for #3 - no question!

Stefan

Think about. I was saving for the M9 and finally got the money. However, it was unavailable at almost all dealers in the East Coast. Finally, when a dealer called me, I opted out as I realize the 7k could be spent on lens like 28mm cron asph(used) and 50 lux pre-asph(used) and have some money left.

I have the M8.2.

The technique of the M8.2 is the same as of the M8, except a few features e.g. saphir glass on the display of the M8.2.

Shutter speed of M8 is max. 8000 -> a M8u and M8.2 is 4000. It sound more like the M6 or M7 and the M8 sounds more like a R6 R7 :D So It's more silent....

They only stretched the spring and placed a new wheel, I think. :eek:

All I can say is that the M8.2 is a good deal more comfortable to use than the M8. It just feels better and the framelines are more accurate at regular shooting distances. That said, the M8 is about $1000 cheaper and that is significant. If you can do the M9 and feel good about, do it. If not, then the M8 is still a great camera.

If you shoot at night and have lights in the background you will sometimes get ghosting from the ir fitlers. Use heliopan uv ir fitlers less ghosting. But on anything wider then 35 mm lenses the corrections may not be as accurate. M9s are a much better camera for this issue alone. And used ones are starting to pop up in the low 6 grand range. Check oout all the usual forums rangefinderforum here and getdpi.com for used m9 s .

A used minty M8 or M8.2 will save you considerable money. Rather than invest in the M9 I invested in a 50mm Summilux ASPH. What a fantastic combo!

The IQ of the M8 IMHO remains superior to the M9 except with regards to noise, and the difference there is very shallow. So unless you really need a FF rangefinder and larger files, the M8 will more than suffice.

Good luck!

• 8 months later...
Greetings to all.

Thanks for your time.

You can buy M8 now and start shooting and keep saving money and get M9 later.

4000 Shutter actuation is fine which means the camera has been working well. Often heard lower is better but I think higher number is not as bad as it sounds for M digital.

I feel often see shutter failure with low number of actuation in this forum, but not much with high number of it. I did not examine carefully, though. Just a feeling:).

SATOKI

The IQ of the M8 IMHO remains superior to the M9 except with regards to noise, and the difference there is very shallow. So unless you really need a FF rangefinder and larger files, the M8 will more than suffice.

+1

For sharpness (real sharpness, not the computer enhanced NikCanon stuff) and even better b&w, the M8 is not just a bargain but a better buy.

Read the comparisons from two years ago when the M9 came out, otherwise this discussion is going to become ever more frequent.