Starting with an M4?

JCT

Hi Ecaton, how big will your prints be?

The "regular" larger ones 8x10 and 10x15. I prefer not to print to many small size photos like 4x6 or 5x7 but rather look at average shots on-screen. Rarely would there be larger prints like 20x16 or even 30x20, which require external printing anyway.

Jill - I would start with a used M6 that way you get a builtin meter to use with . A used M6 will go for around $1000 USD and and used 50mm f2 cron $600. An M4 is a beautiful camera to look at but not very practical to use. Say if you want to add an MR meter to it you won't have room for an external viewfinder in case you decide to shoot wide. Also m6 will have 6 frame lines vs M4 4 frame lines.

Jill - I would start with a used M6 that way you get a builtin meter to use with . A used M6 will go for around $1000 USD and and used 50mm f2 cron $600. An M4 is a beautiful camera to look at but not very practical to use. Say if you want to add an MR meter to it you won't have room for an external viewfinder in case you decide to shoot wide. Also m6 will have 6 frame lines vs M4 4 frame lines.

Everything you say about the M6, Charles, could be said about the M5, too! The add plums to the M5 are its size and hand-built construction with high quality components...the last of the Ms built in Wetzlar! Another good thing is that M5 has no red dotty logo on it :)

good cheer,

Thomas

I recently bought an M6 "classic" and love it. I am looking for a 35/2 IV, but that is a bit more expensive than the 50 Cron, if I can even find one. I personally thought about it for a long time, and looked at various cameras at my dealer (he has the whole line in stock, including some interesting rarities), and eventually decided that the light meter built into the M6 made this camera the lower end cut-off for me. I don't understand the comments about the M6 having poor build quality. It may be that earlier cameras were built better in some way, but this camera is rock-solid.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Results are in and lol, I probably could have predicted this --- but I ended up with the one model that I predicted I would avoid.

End result:

1.M3 body in pretty good shape (son selling all father's gear), SN 107xxxx, works well, a couple of minor dings and missing vulcanite here and there-- viewfinder is very bright and clear. Price = $600

2. Summicron 50mm f/2 DR with eyes, 1962 vintage from a guy on Photo.net who has been actively using it also in good shape. Price = $425

So, I got what looks like a good entry setup for just over $1000 and there's room in the budget for a CLA if necessary or a Luigi half-case if not ;).

As soon as I get through my grant deadline I'll try to post a pic.

It came down to this vs an M6, but I really prefer the 50mm "view" and I'm starting to get into a handheld meter "groove" -- not to mention I really love fully mechanical cameras.

Thanks to all--- and hey! I even checked out a barnack, very neat.

JT

Guest Bernd Banken

Congratulation Jil!

A Leica (M) is like a dog: It pulls you out disregarding weather etc. just to follow the direction the lens is pointing to...;)

Regards

Bernd (a rooky in terms of Ms from Dec. 9th 06)