leica m

davidecossu

Hello Davide,

first, welcome to the Leica Forum.

Well, our queston is a very difficult one. The choice for a M-camera depends on how you use to take photos and each person has its own preferences.

Well, I have had a M7 for 2 years and this is really a very beautiful camera. Though my heart always said, I should buy a pure mechanic camera, I love to take photos with the automatic mode.

Very often I use the Summicorn 2/50, this is a fine lens for taking superb photos. I also have the Summaron 3,5/35 lens; though this lens is not as good as actual aspheric lenses, you can take nice photos with this lens and you get one for less price. A really superb lens is the Elmarit 2,8/24 but it's really expensive, too.

I think the best way to find out which is the right lens for you is to go to a delaer and test the cameras, if that is possible to you.

I doubt if you get an M7 with a lens for 1200 pounds.

Best wishes for 2007 and your decision

Bernhard

Personally I'd get a good used M6 or MP. Ffordes have some M6 bodies for around £800-£900, so at a stretch you could get a S/H pre-ASPH 35mm F2 around £400-500.

If that's a bit too much some of the Voightlander lenses are good and priced reasonably (35mm Skopar £250)

Welcome Davide!

m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 m6 m7 mp m8 doesn´t mean anything to you? Please don´t think about HOW to spent your budget for ANY of them till they do. You need some time here.

Tell us more about your way of photography and what you expect to find with a Leica M what you did not have with your existing camera-system.

Hi everyone,

i'm going to buy a leica m but i dont really know where to start.

Its gonna be a second hand for sure but m1 m2 m3 m4 m5 m6 m7 mp, dont mean anything to me.

My budget is about £1200 with lens.

Can anyone help me please?

thank you and happy 2007.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Davide.

Welcome to the Forum!

A little shy of three years ago I had never picked up a rangefinder camera, having all my experience with auto-exposure, auto-focus point&shoot cameras and a Digital Rebel.

Here are references that I used to educate myself on the models Leica makes and has made over the years, and that will answer most of your questions.

Steve Gandy's Site: Camera Quest M Buyers' Guide

Andrew Nemeth's Site: Leica M FAQ

Feel free to post any questions you have after looking these over. You'll find a wealth of knowledge offered by friendly photogs here.

Thanks.

Allan