Collected M9 from Milton Keynes today and it appears not to work! Please HELP!

Julian Thompson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 finally arrived in and due to a time deadline with a holiday I had to collect it in person from Milton Keynes itself.

Everything went great and I nearly unboxed the camera in the car park to test it there but decided against it incase I dropped bits in the car.

Just got settled in to test it now and I am getting some very weird behaviour.

Since I'm supposed to be going on hols in the morning I thought I'd post up for some help in case I am doing something wrong?

When I turn the camera on I can get the menu but it's very delayed in appearing (like 3 seconds) - then, after each press of the button the camera pauses for about 3 seconds before actioning what you have done.

It will not fire the shutter at all.

I have tried the battery in an M8 and also the SD card and they seem fine.

So sad about this and feel so annoyed at myself for not trying it in the car park. AArgh!

Sounds strange - did you load the battery or use it unloaded, or did you use an old one?

You should load the battery that came with the M9 before going any further. That, I am sure, will help.

Good luck

An M8 or M9 battery should not make a difference. See if you can reload the firmware (from the Leica website).

Julian, one way to check if it's the SD card that's causing the problem is to remove it from the camera and replace the bottom plate. Switch the camera on, ignore the warning on the screen that there's no SD card and take several pictures. Does a preview of each picture appear on the LCD? You may have to use the Menu function to set the Autoreview time to Permanent to keep the preview displayed. You should be able to use the right hand arrow buttons to scroll backwards and forwards from one picture to the next. You won't be able to zoom into an image since it's stored in the camera's buffer and not on an SD card.

If the above works then the problem is likely to be the SD card.

Bob.

Edited by gravastar

Cheers chaps - thanks for your help - (Hi Brett!) -

Battery was tried from the M9 and a pal's M8 - neither made a difference. SD cards of various types were tried but it just wouldn't behave!

Jaap it would have been great to try the firmware but where I was I didn't have the necessary kit with me to do it and little time.

Anyway - the outcome looks to be happy thanks to my friend and dealer David Stephens from Stephens in Manchester.

David managed to speak to his area Leica manager at 9pm last night (!) and first thing this morning a replacement unit was made available for me at Milton Keynes. A few calls to various friends who were up and down the UK later and as we speak the new M9 is on its way to join me :-))

I feel that it shows that it's always a good policy to stick with trusted people I suppose but either way a huge thanks to David :-) (and Leica - but obviously not the QC person who let on slip eh! :-)))

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Cheers chaps - thanks for your help - (Hi Brett!) -

Battery was tried from the M9 and a pal's M8 - neither made a difference. SD cards of various types were tried but it just wouldn't behave!

Jaap it would have been great to try the firmware but where I was I didn't have the necessary kit with me to do it and little time.

Anyway - the outcome looks to be happy thanks to my friend and dealer David Stephens from Stephens in Manchester.

David managed to speak to his area Leica manager at 9pm last night (!) and first thing this morning a replacement unit was made available for me at Milton Keynes. A few calls to various friends who were up and down the UK later and as we speak the new M9 is on its way to join me :-))

I feel that it shows that it's always a good policy to stick with trusted people I suppose but either way a huge thanks to David :-) (and Leica - but obviously not the QC person who let on slip eh! :-)))

Nice to hear about a happy ending. :)

In regards to another thread in the M9 forum, i do not think a similar situation would have been resolved so smoothly if you had gotten the camera from say Amazon.

Nice to hear about a happy ending. :)

In regards to another thread in the M9 forum, i do not think a similar situation would have been resolved so smoothly if you had gotten the camera from say Amazon.

A very good point, hopefully Julian is away somewhere on holiday by now shooting some photographs.

There is another thread where a comment has been made that there's no point in buying from a dealer as Amazon can provide as good a service. I doubt that they could have in this situation.

Enjoy the camera.

It also goes to show that there are "spare" M9s around in MK...

I just hope the "spare" M9 was not the one with my name on it as I am expecting delivery from Stephens of Manchester very soon.

Julian pleased to hear about getting your M9, I think we met at the Leica day run by David, Brett and Gary.

Never a good idea to take delivery of a new piece of important equipment the day before leaving for the boonies.

Yes that's true it would be much more convenient if there were no waiting list, eh ? :-)

Did you try resetting the menu after removing the battery and reinserting it?

Yes indeed Siree! Everything you could think of was tried! That first M9 was a duffer - no "human error" here on my part I can assure you ;--)

Anyway must sign off and enjoy my hols.. Now which lens tonight ;--)