Anyone got BJP 20/09/06 issue?

earleygallery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found this issue at the bottom of a pile of papers in my desk. It's the issue that had the 'World exclusive first M8 shots'.

I recall saying to someone at the time that the photo's didn't look especially good but put that down to print quality of the magazine.

The magenta cast is evident in all but one image - so obvious now that one knows. Obviously not having taken the photos one wouldn't know that the people were wearing black instead of purple.

Part of the article states "...once Leica has sorted out the colour palette and image noise problems evident in files taken with prototypes......" which must surely refer to the magenta casts.

Presumably BJP like other reviewers have acknowledged would pre approve their copy with Leica, so if the colour cast was an intentional design feature then surely they would have pointed this out? (and included free IR filters from day one).

However, in the AP review this week, they acknowledge that the sensor has been designed to deliver the maximum quality from the Leica glass, albeit with some compromises, and suggest that perhaps Leica could offer two versions of the camera with/without the IR filtration built in, which is an interesting idea, giving the photographer the choice of the highest possible image quality or 'out of the box' correct colours.

I found this issue at the bottom of a pile of papers in my desk. It's the issue that had the 'World exclusive first M8 shots'.

I recall saying to someone at the time that the photo's didn't look especially good but put that down to print quality of the magazine.

I commented in this forum at the time that I didn't think the images were up to much (quality wise). I think I described the colour as muddy and unnatural looking but, like everyone else, assumed that this could be attributed to pre-production AWB teething problems.

I seem to recall that it was Jonathan Eastland who wrote in the accompanying BJP article about colour palette and noise issues with the camera. I think Mark Norton took exception to this early criticism and described Eastland as "Journo Johnny with an axe to grind" (or something like that).

I think Mark Norton took exception to this early criticism and described Eastland as "Journo Johnny with an axe to grind" (or something like that).

Err, yes, I would apologise verbally to him but my mouth is stuffed full of a rather bitter tasting humble pie. This comment was obviously made while I thought there was no way Leica could possibly screw up with this camera. How wrong I was.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

The latest issue of LFI also had a pre-production unit which had what they call weird colours, including banding (I am at work so I can't search for the exact phrase they use, but it's somewhere in the foum..), but they assume it's just a defect common of pre-production units.

Nobody really expected Leica to goof on this one.