New to the darkroom...a few questions

rpavich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now that imade a print or two, a few questions have popped up in my mind:

What do you use to time print development in they trays? I've been using the massive dev app timer but my phone goes to sleep at the worst possible time.

What do you use to squeegee water from the prints?

I'm trying to not break the bank, looking for inexpensive solutions.

I used to use a Junghans Laboruhr, that's a lab timer with a largish face. I believe it was glowing in the dark.

For squeeging the prints, I used a new screen wiper which was never, ever used on a car. Spread the print on a table top and wipe in one direction only using very little pressure.

• Like 1

I have a cheap $10 clock that has a second hand. I put the print into the tray at a convenient time (usually 0 or 30 seconds) and watch the second hand. If you get one that ticks loudly, you can use it like a metronome for timing print exposure (this works surprisingly well).

I also use a windshield wiper (reserved use of course). Cheap and works well. Be gentle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that imade a print or two, a few questions have popped up in my mind:

What do you use to time print development in they trays? I've been using the massive dev app timer but my phone goes to sleep at the worst possible time.

What do you use to squeegee water from the prints?

I'm trying to not break the bank, looking for inexpensive solutions.

1. Nothing, I simply count the seconds, and I am fairly consistent with the counting. I found the cell phone unusable since it emits quite a bit of light in my otherwise fairly dark room which I use to develop the prints.

2. Check Amazon, get a simple but big enough one which is also used for car windows.