Performance - M versus R?

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Putting aside the basic differences of rangefinder and SLR, would a combination of R5 and Summicron 50mm f2 offer higher resolution results than the equivalent M combination (all other aspects such as film, subject, developer etc etc being the same)?

PS - would I be right in thinking that such a lens would also fit the SL2?

Edited by Keith (M)

The honest answer is I don't know but I would imagine that the results would be as near identical as makes no difference. I've heard it said that the M series is sharper than the R series as it doesn't have the mirror vibration issue. I've never noticed any difference. The 50mm f2 R Summicron is a fantastic lens. One thing I can say for certain is that your R outfit would be substantially cheaper than the M!

• Like 1

PS - would I be right in thinking that such a lens would also fit the SL2?

Most newer 50mm R Summicrons are bottom marked "only for R"

From 50mm onwarts lens quality should be the same im M or R version, wider angels need to be retrofocus in R-mount; more complex than non retrfocus lenses in M-mount.

R-lenses are real bargains in comparison with M-lense, some 30 years ago it was vice versa....

kind regards

Thomas

• Like 1

In terms of money you are certainly on the safe side with the 50mm-R-lens these days.

In terms of sharpness it´s a draw: wide open the current SUMMICRON-M 50 mm

is better than the R-lens, from 4/ 5.6 onwards it´s vice versa. But with a

matching ELPRO-lens (there are three of them) you gain a lot as far as the

closeup-ability of your eqiupment is concerned. There is a possibility, that a new

SUMMICRON-M 50 mm asph. is around the corner. This willl most certainly beat the

R-lens in all fields.

LEICA-M- and LEICA-R- photography are completely different. Before you

buy something in this field, first you should find out which type fits your >>style<< best.

But beware, once you started, you might find out you can´t withstand both of them.

best

GEORG

Edited by k_g_wolf

In terms of money you are certainly on the safe side with the 50mm-R-lens these days.

In terms of sharpness it´s a draw: wide open the current SUMMICRON-M 50 mm

is better than the R-lens, from 4/ 5.6 onwards it´s vice versa. But with a

matching ELPRO-lens (there are three of them) you gain a lot as far as the

closeup-ability of your eqiupment is concerned. There is a possibility, that a new

SUMMICRON-M 50 mm asph. is around the corner. This willl most certainly beat the

R-lens in all fields.

buy something in this field, first you should find out which type fits your >>style<< best.

But beware, once you started, you might find out you can´t withstand both of them.

best

GEORG

Yes, they are both highly addictive. They also work well together as I use my R4 with Cron 50 and the M3 with a Summarit on documentaries. :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm curious about the R4. Is it the best R?

Well, mine was mint condition and about $200 a year ago and can be bought for much less at KEH even now. It is compact, high quality and a joy to use. I would love to have the 6.2 as the ultimate manual SLR but really lust for the R8 and especially the R9. The rest, the R5, 6 and 7 are all very, very good.

Which is best? Depends on you. I love them all. The R4 works well with my M3 and I find myself leaving the M3 behind a lot because of the compact size and meter on the R4. But that R8/9 is calling me at the tune of $600USD for the R8 and $1100USD for the R9.:)

I'm curious about the R4. Is it the best R?

I really like my R4, but it is a pain to use in manual exposure. Rather than simple "match needle" like the older SL, manual on the R4 means reading the set shutter speed in a window at the bottom, then the suggested speed from the row of LEDs along the right edge, and adjusting until they read the same in the two different places.

So I use mine mainly in "A" central area mode. Meter an area I want to be "18% grey" tone, press the release to lock it, then compose and snap. Works OK, but I think I'd rather have an R6.

• Like 1

I really like my R4, but it is a pain to use in manual exposure. Rather than simple "match needle" like the older SL, manual on the R4 means reading the set shutter speed in a window at the bottom, then the suggested speed from the row of LEDs along the right edge, and adjusting until they read the same in the two different places.

So I use mine mainly in "A" central area mode. Meter an area I want to be "18% grey" tone, press the release to lock it, then compose and snap. Works OK, but I think I'd rather have an R6.

Exactly. A central area mode.:) The bonus with my R4 is that I can buy a lot of extra R4 bodies for back-up/replacement/different film/different iso, etc. for the price of the R6-9 that I really want one day.:)

best

GEORG

It's subjective....Some experts believe that the Leica R lens line is the best lens line in the world. Beware!

I use it on my Nikon dSLRs too. Among the R bodies, I love SL, SL2 and R6.2. R8 is highly rated but I have never owned/used it.

My fav 50 is the M 50/1.5 ASPH

I understand not all Leica R lenses can be adapted to a Canon or converted to a Nikon mount.

From those that can be, without shaving the mirror, which ones are optically outstanding?

Which of their characteristics makes them such?

Thanks.

Please check Leitax.com and you'll find some answers. I get my Leica R adapters for Nikon from them.

Some of outstanding ones are hard to get these days and are very expensive. Experts consider the following to be outstanding:

APO-Summicron 90/2 ASPH

Apo Macro Elmarit-100/2.8

APO-Summicron180/2

APO-Elmarit 180/2.8 (later version)

APO-Telyt 180/3.4

APO-Telyt 280/2.8

APO-Telyt 280/4

Vario-Apo-Elmarit 70-180/2.8

APO-Telyt 180/3.4 are relatively cheaper and are readily available. Apo Macro Elmarit-100/2.8 are also available but expensive.

You can start with the non-APOs 50/2 or the 90/2.8 or the 90/2 based on your preferences.

Edited by AB007
Added 1 sentence
  • Like 3

As commented in a different thread on the R, in looking at what is available I found there to be something of a dearth of prime lenses. There are lots of zooms for sale but I am not interested - if I want zoom functionality and hefty lumps of glass I'll blow the dust off my 5DMkII and L lenses (or even dig out my ME Super and Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm zoom from the back of the wardrobe). I'd rather try to stay on the path of compactness and lightness for the sake of my creaking neck and shoulders.

Going back on topic - has there been a resurgence of demand for R primes or were the numbers produced much less than R zooms?

First realize the R4 & 5 have no mirror dampening system of value. I got much sharper results with my R3, 6 6.2 7. The 4 went back to Leica for checkout and they claimed to find nothing wrong,it was sold off to an informed buyer.

There are two 50 mm Summicron R versions, 1964 and the last that took 55 mm filters and was for R cameras only because it was missing first and second cams. The later was a more modern rendition like the current Summicron. The first was like the early M Summicrons. It took ser 6 filters and to get the best performance, you need the shade and UV filter. I know, contrary to filter opinion, but this is the exception. I have looked at multiple samples and talked to people who bought them in 1964. That is how they are.

If you not get the R5 or keep the shutter up really high, the m & r will be the same. You will be better served by a later model camera. These are cheap for a reason.

• Like 2