How to deactivate the snapshot mode on the M9?

oysterboy

Guest Lotw

Did you push on 'Set' and did not the screen appear with the question " Do you want to exit the Snapshot mode?" You can give in No and Yes

"Did you push on 'Set' and did not the screen appear with the question " Do you want to exit the Snapshot mode?" You can give in No and Yes"

Yes, thanks I have done this and then I take one shot and it goes right back to snapshot mode??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Did you push on 'Set' and did not the screen appear with the question " Do you want to exit the Snapshot mode?" You can give in No and Yes"

Yes, thanks I have done this and then I take one shot and it goes right back to snapshot mode??

What are you seeing in the viewfinder at each point you try to get away from Snapshot, the red dot associated with Snapshot or numbers/arrows for Auto or Manual?

Anyway, try creating a new user profile and use that, its the safe way to get your personal datum points back before, during or after each shooting session. You will then have an option in the User Profile Menu other than Snapshot.

Steve

That's a bug in the software then, try Reset in the menu, if that doesn't work you should send it back

I'll almost guarantee its user error. If there was such a simple bug in the firmware it would have been reported before now.

I don't have an M9, but after you select no to snapshot mode, are you pressing 'set' to confirm your selection?

I am sorry. I am truly confused.

I think i got out of the snapshot mode by gong to the "ave user profile" on the main menu . However I still see a lot of the options "gray out" that i cannot select even if I am out of snapshot mode. For instance I can not chose sharpening, contrast, color saturation, resolution, etc EVEN if i am out of snapshot. I think I am in profile1.

My questinon remains,

How can i do it so that I put the camera in a "mode" in which i can have all those options open all the time ven if i turn the camera on and off?

By "options" I mean, sharpening, contrast, resolution, etc...

Sorry foro all the typos. I am using an iPad that seems to cho words before i type them

Edited by oysterboy
Typos

How can i do it so that I put the camera in a "mode" in which i can have all those options open all the time ven if i turn the camera on and off?

By "options" I mean, sharpening, contrast, resolution, etc...

You have the camera set to save DNGs. You need to tell it to save Jpegs.

DNGs have advantages over Jpegs, but they do require post processing.

To clarify and expand on Steve's note - if you are shooting only .DNG (i.e. RAW) pictures, "saturation, "contrast," "sharpening" and "Color space" in the camera have no effect on the picture anyway. Those are things you control later in your computer. Therefore they are grayed out and inaccessible. They don't apply to DNG pictures.

The whole idea of shooting .DNGs is that you are NOT locked in to a fixed amount of sharpening or saturation at the time of shooting - even if you could set them, they still would not affect the picture.

See the very top image and table on this page:

Leica M9 Hands-on Preview: 7. Menus: Digital Photography Review

If you want to shoot Jpegs (images pre-processed in the camera, that DO use those variables) without being in Snapshot mode - press the "Set" button. The second item in the short "Set" menu is file format/compression. You can change that to any option that includes "JPG" - and then those grayed-out options will become available.

Correct Andy, I get it now. I became obsesed with the snapshot mode and i got to thinking that that was the reason why i could not select the diferent options like "sharpening", "color contrast" etc while in fact that was because i was shooting in raw (dng) and NOT the snapshot

• 3 years later...