Will Leica upgrade its Visoflex (EVF 2) ?

didier

Didier - welcome to the forum. I think you will find, either through scrolling through the various threads or using the search function, that this has been much discussed already. To compress much reading: the consensus of people seems to be, no, they aren't going to upgrade the current Olympus-made EVF. Which is a big disappointment for many of us.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.

The question regarding the possibility has been discussed extensively previously http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/283728-will-leica-update-vf-4-evf.html

While Olympus was able to offer a firmware upgrade to a number of their previous models to allow the upgrade from VF2 to VF4 it has been stated that it is not technically possible to provide a similar upgrade for the the M typ240. For commercial reasons there is not much incentive for Leica unless they were launching their own (expensive) version of the VF4. There were some hopes at the time of the recent FW upgrade but it was not to be.

• Like 1

The problem with digital cameras is that there are too many variables each necessitating a different refresh interval - sensor, image processor, memory, bus, storage, LCD screen and EVF to name a few and with interdependencies.

If Leica wants to keep up with the competition, we are more likely to see shorter lifespans for cameras in general and with higher obsolescence rates. I would not be surprised if Leica introduces a new M sooner than 2015.

À small word to the defence of the present EVF.

I would love to have a better one like everybody else here, but last night as I was using it, it crossed my mind that it is really not half bad at all.

It really does do everything it should do pretty well, like focusing and framing. Yes, it is jumpy and the view is smallish and not very pretty, but we have come quite a way since the Digilux2, and even that EVF was good enough for the purpose.

There is really no reason not to use those brilliant R lenses on the M240 because of the EVF.

Yes you can magnify the central part of the image x5 or x10. This does help with accurate focusing and can be enhanced by focus peaking.

This also works with the LCD of course.

Edited by ayewing
Addition
  • Like 1

Automatically for RF coupled lenses only. For other lenses push the front button to activate focus assist. Use the thumb wheel to choose 1x, 5x or 10x magnification. For an 180 I would advise 5x, as 10x handheld gets a bit jumpy. Focus peaking works optimally @ 5x as well. I prefer red as the standard focus peaking colour.

Page 3 in the menu:

Focus peaking: red

Focus aid: automatic.

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 1

Automatically for RF coupled lenses only. For other lenses push the front button to activate focus assist. Use the thumb wheel to choose 1x, 5x or 10x magnification. For an 180 I would advise 5x, as 10x handheld gets a bit jumpy. Focus peaking works optimally @ 5x as well. I prefer red as the standard focus peaking colour.

Page 3 in the menu:

Focus peaking: red

Focus aid: automatic.

Thanks so much. Should have checked before my cruise as missed a few "whales" of a shot in Alaskan waters. Never realized had to push front button to invoke. Now agree VF2 not so bad even if little late. Duh!!!

Thanks so much. Should have checked before my cruise as missed a few "whales" of a shot in Alaskan waters. Never realized had to push front button to invoke. Now agree VF2 not so bad even if little late. Duh!!!

Would that be the Oly VF2 or Leica VF2?... sorry, playing catchup as i have only just got my M240

Would that be the Oly VF2 or Leica VF2?... sorry, playing catchup as i have only just got my M240

The Leica VF2 is exactly the same as the Olympus one; they're not merely compatible, they're the same.

• Like 1