Help! The Movers Broke my Focomat V35!

ossifan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The moving company improperly wrapped my enlarger and as a result, the top of the locking screw that holds the ball bearing that creates the autofocus stop on the helical focusing mount broke off. While the bottom part of the screw is still in place (and may well be forever!), I was wondering if anyone had either had this problem before or knew approximately how much it would cost to repair it?

I'd like to make a claim against the moving company. Fixing this would require someone to get the broken part of the screw out and then replace it with a new one - but I'm not sure how one would do that. Without the repair, I can't adjust the autofocus if it's off.

I'd appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks!

Alex

Alex,

normally a mover is insured against such occurences.

Call your next leica representative and ask them how to get it repaired (either via leica or another recommended firm).

The bill would be payed by the mover.

Probably either Leica or the repair firm can give you a costproposal which you would fax the mover...

That's the way how I would handle it...

best - Klaus

Hi Klaus -

Thanks! Between the mover, my private insurance, and the gov't insurance I think I can get the cost covered; however, your advice on how to go about getting an estimate is invaluable.

Would you recommend calling Leica in Germany for a cost estimate? Or should I call Leica USA? There is only one camera shop where I live (currently the Middle East) that sells Leica gear. My Leica M is warranted through Leica USA.

Thanks!

Alex

Alex,

didn't know you're residing in ME.

you could try the Leica dealer first; if it is an offical dealer he will organize will Leica.

But:

From what I've heard in the forum a direct shipping for repair to Germany MIGHT work quicker. So alternatively drop Leica a call (+49 6442 208-189) and ask for their advice how to handle best...

Klaus