Going back to film

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not trying to knock film but just look at what you are spending. Each roll of film, 36 exposures, cost $4.00 or more. Then the developing cost for each roll, even IF you do it yourself.

I have taken well over 30,000 images with digital cameras and about 12,000-14,000 of them have been with a M8.

Just the cost of the film, 30,000/36 = 834 rolls @ $4.00 = $3336.00 not to mention the developing cost.

12,000 -14,000 shots with the M8, or any other digital camera I've used, = $0.00 in film and developing cost.

Yes do the math.

It is each persons choice which medium they choose to use and to shoulder the expense for it. If you really like film then there is no reason to ever go digital, until there is no more film. Which will happen in the future.

That is just unnecessary diversion that attempts to undermine somebody else's point of view. A red herring. Nobody I've ever come across would shoot the same number of frames on a film camera as on digital. It just doesn't happen. A few may shoot 1/3 of the frames and then your calculation can be turned upside down and you'd struggle to justify the expense of the M8 ..... just not worth going there.

I shot a full wedding yesterday and exposed 950 digital frames. I could have done it with 10 rolls of film, or even 20 5x4 plates, and got the same result - an album to be proud of.

Digital is fantastic, film is superb. It's a choice, not a competition.

Rolo

I am about to buy my first Leica. I cannot make my mind up about the M8 or the MP I really want an MP but I keep hearing people say film will soon be hard to come by and get developed. I still think film produces far sharper and far better quality than digital

You may want to take a look at htet M7. AE is very handy. I bought an MP, coming from a Contax IIIa, I thought I didn't want it. Now, I wish I had. The .72 finder is fine to start on, bought after using it and getting some experience with it, now I wish I had the .85 All IMO.

It looks like I am going to have to give it a lot more thought. I like digital and film equally, my big problem is I cannot afford both. over the years I have owned many,many cameras all of them being SLRs both digital and film and now I want to buy a range finder that will give me many years of use and be a good well built camera.

It looks like I am going to have to give it a lot more thought. I like digital and film equally, my big problem is I cannot afford both. over the years I have owned many,many cameras all of them being SLRs both digital and film and now I want to buy a range finder that will give me many years of use and be a good well built camera.

You could perhaps afford both if you chose a different (cheaper) film body - maybe an M6. I can't imagine the photos would suffer at all....

Ffordes have an ex-demo M8 with full passport warranty at £2,229. Add the £649 for the M6 and it's still less than the cost of a new M8.

A marriage made in heaven.

Now try and do that with two women.:D:eek:

i never intended to start a digital vs film thread.

all I'm saying is that I love going back to film. i had some great results with the m8, but that's not the point. i'm talking about he feeling i get from the mp.

maybe someone out there is not sure if he should go for an mp or an m8. i had the same issue before i bought the m8. i tried the m8, now i go for the mp. and i'm not saying don't go with the m8 neither.

i never sold my m6. i have the mp loaded with 100ASA film and the m6 with 800ASA film. i love getting the slides fom the lab and i love scanning them.

and i'm happy. that's all :)

for paid work i might have to keep the m8 or some other digital camera. they're ever changing so it doesn't really matter which one. but the mp will stay with me forever.

Or an M8 bashing thread.

Sad, isn't it.

Agreed Kent and Steve Or simply a boring thread for small minds on both sides! I really just don't understand them! Hey ho - back to editing my M8 files before I develop my MP and Rolleiflex film. What a looser either way I am!

Despite some film v digital distractions previous in this thread, I suspect you can see a more moderate theme running: Both film and digital have a place. If the decision "point" is a slider on the scale between the two extremes, most photographers will have an individual set point.

There are some shooting situations where I still prefer film, though they don't come up that often. That's one of the reasons I kept one of my M6 bodies. And while I have a pair of Nikon D300s, and one each Oly E-1 and E-510, I also have a Nikon FM2n in my camera cabinet.

It is a big decision to buy an M8. For me it was mostly financial, because I was already shooting RF. I had tried the Oly DSLRs as RF replacements (since they are fairly compact, and their mid-range lenses are very good), but the experience just wasn't the same.

Two strategies:

1. If you feel positive that you'll take a liking to RF, get the M8, and look for a decent film backup/alternate body. On a rising cost scale, consider a new Voigtlander RF, a used M6, a used MP, or a new MP (some would throw a used M7 into that lineup somewhere). I wouldn't worry about an M6TTL.. (Both my M6s were purchased used from KEH. Do not fear used Leica gear.)

2. If you are not sure about the RF experience, consider instead the film body lineup from option 1.as the first course of action. Do some careful shopping for, let's day, three used Cosina/Voigtlander, Zeiss, or Leica lens. This keeps the investment under control, but still gives you the spare body, should you decide to go digital RF. The only change you'll need to make if you move up to an M8 is covering the widest end of your lens kit with something one "step" wider.

(And consider getting a good hand-held meter. )

Guest jimmy pro
After using the M8 daily for 19 months, I have decided to go back to film, I bought an MP one week ago and haven't touched the M8 since.

The difference is substantial and I feel like I've come home. I will probably sell the M8. Just doesn't give me the feeling I have when photographing with the MP.

After wearing briefs daily for 19 months, I have decided to go back to boxers. I bought a 3-pack at Walmart one week ago and havent touched my BVD's since.

The difference is substantial, and me and the boys feel like we've come home. I will probably donate my briefs to the Salvation Army. Just don't give me the feeling I have when breezing down the street in my boxers.

Just thought I'd inform the forum, as long as we're announcing our personal preferences like it's front page news ;)

Guest jimmy pro
Last time I looked this was a photo/camera forum.

Depends on what thread you last looked at ;)

Seems a perfectly reasonable topic to me.

Topic? What topic? Was there a question in the OP? I didn't see one. Sounded like an announcement to me. Why was it important to tell everyone of his decision...unless he was trolling for a film v digital debate.

The fact that there are actually some measured and interesting responses is a credit to the people who made them, not the insitefullness of the OP or the "reasonableness" of the [non]-topic.

Guest Ridder Cornelius

I recently came back for a 4 week holiday in Greece, I took my DSLR (I don't own the M8 anymore) and I took the M4 with the only two Leica lenses I have left, a 25 and 90 and digital being nice I really enjoyed the film experience again. I only shot B&W part of which I have developed over the past weekend and I must say that the satisfaction quota of the whole exercise is much larger than digital.

I shot about 2000 digital images, of which 50 are probably good to very good (the rest are just holiday snaps) and 12 rolls of assorted B&W film of which 50% are good, printable that is.

Its not even the end result, its the process I really enjoy. I will use my m4 more now

I am about to buy my first Leica. I cannot make my mind up about the M8 or the MP I really want an MP but I keep hearing people say film will soon be hard to come by and get developed. I still think film produces far sharper and far better quality than digital

My film Leicas were (and are) just 35mm cameras. With the limitations in the matters of grain and resolution that this entails. With the M8 I get image quality of a kind that I was used to with medium format cameras. Big ones!

If you want to find out what is hiding in your classical Leica lenses, try them out on an M8.

The old man from the Age of Roll Film

Guest jimmy pro
No there wasn't, but why does there have to be? A forum is a place for discussion not just asking question.

I know you like arguing just for the sake of it, but also I know you know an obvious film-v-digital troll as well as the next guy.