Q2, a keeper!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At least i think so for now:)

I have owned most brands, Hasselblad X1D, 500cm, Fujifilm Gfx 50s, Nikon D 800E , Sony a7 rIII, Leica SL and most recent the Canon R5.  

The Q2 is the most user friendly and fun camera I've ever owned. The fixed summilux lens restricts me in a way that makes me more creative and at the same time it opens up for a whole different kind of shooting style. Of course a X1D for example, can be used as a tool for family gatherings and such but the ease of use, the compact format, the build and picture quality that comes in this small package is unbeatable(except for the Q3). And I don't even need to decide what lens I should bring :)

I can still use it for my landscape work and for making long exposure seascapes that i love. Only downside I can find is the annoying impossibility to turn off the in camera noise reduction! I hope the folks at the Leica factory could fix this in an upcoming update. That and the possibility to use manual focus when using the Fotos app would be highly appreciated.

My wife think it looks funny or even ugly but i must say, in my eyes it's one of the sexiest cameras ever made.

The 47Mp files is the sweet spot for  making pretty large prints and my 2012 macbook pro to handle without the need of me getting a lunch break while it imports the pictures from the SD card.

This camera will be my edc for a very long time, if not forever. 

Cheers!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Indeed, the Q series is a great option as an everyday/travel/family type camera.  Great IQ, relatively compact for what it offers, and easy to use.

Looks like yours has been through a good amount of use, based on the wear, which is a testament to it going everywhere...

I have a Q-P and am considering the Q2 mainly for the weather sealing.  I'd prefer maintaining the same sensor from the original Q, but the 47mp will allow some more cropping flexibility.

Question for you:  what leather finger strap is that?  How do you like it?  I've considered the one from 595Strap, but haven't taken the plunge as of yet.  Yours looks a bit more flexible/simpler in design.

• Like 1

The Q line of cameras, while very expensive, are amazing little photography machines. 

I have a Q3 and a Sony A1 w/ a 24mm f1.4 GM lens. The Q3, despite being significantly smaller, puts out amazingly high quality pictures which are completely indiscernible from the A1 photos in a blind test. The major difference is how the cameras expose an image and warmth.

I previously had a Q2 and really liked it. Only upgraded for better lowlight performance (where my Q2 struggled) and ability to record 4K60/8K30 if I don't have my A1 with me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ggweci said:

Indeed, the Q series is a great option as an everyday/travel/family type camera.  Great IQ, relatively compact for what it offers, and easy to use.

Looks like yours has been through a good amount of use, based on the wear, which is a testament to it going everywhere...

I have a Q-P and am considering the Q2 mainly for the weather sealing.  I'd prefer maintaining the same sensor from the original Q, but the 47mp will allow some more cropping flexibility.

Question for you:  what leather finger strap is that?  How do you like it?  I've considered the one from 595Strap, but haven't taken the plunge as of yet.  Yours looks a bit more flexible/simpler in design.

Yes it certainly is.

It looks like my Q2 been thru some African safaris
for sure. I bought it used last summer and the scratches came with it unfortunately. But the price wasn't terrible and it works perfectly so I'm happy.
Yes, if a camera can take a good beating and still work as intended it's a big plus.

The sensor on the Q/Q-P can handle high iso better and the smaller file size is easier to process.
But I think for what I've seen that there isn't such a huge difference between them,
and if you shoot in raw it won't be a problem. At least not for me.
I shot some photos the other night at 1600 iso and as long as i exposed correct, the files came out really nice.
I think you won't regret switching to the Q2 in that sense anyway.

I've made this finger strap myself and it actually feels wonderful. It goes around my ring and middle finger leaving the pinky to support by putting it under the camera when I don't use the grip.
The finger strap from 595 looks nice though.
In the meantime I post a better picture of my variant so you could try it yourself if you want to make one.
The leather should be stiff and it also should wrap pretty tight around your fingers to give a better feel to it.
Feel free to post a picture if you make one!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anonymoose said:

The Q line of cameras, while very expensive, are amazing little photography machines. 

I have a Q3 and a Sony A1 w/ a 24mm f1.4 GM lens. The Q3, despite being significantly smaller, puts out amazingly high quality pictures which are completely indiscernible from the A1 photos in a blind test. The major difference is how the cameras expose an image and warmth.

I previously had a Q2 and really liked it. Only upgraded for better lowlight performance (where my Q2 struggled) and ability to record 4K60/8K30 if I don't have my A1 with me.

Amazing!

When I compare  my Canon R5 files against the Q2 there is more flexibility to crop the Q2 files and still keep the resolution. Leica has come up with some nice looking pixels in their cameras.

Maybe we have found out what the Leica look really is😄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ggweci said:

I have the 595 strap with PD anchors. It’s a nice strap and fairly flexible from the outset. It feels secure but I don’t use it often enough to give a full recommendation. I use their neck strap instead. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Rosse said:

Yes it certainly is.

It looks like my Q2 been thru some African safaris
for sure. I bought it used last summer and the scratches came with it unfortunately. But the price wasn't terrible and it works perfectly so I'm happy.
Yes, if a camera can take a good beating and still work as intended it's a big plus.

The sensor on the Q/Q-P can handle high iso better and the smaller file size is easier to process.
But I think for what I've seen that there isn't such a huge difference between them,
and if you shoot in raw it won't be a problem. At least not for me.
I shot some photos the other night at 1600 iso and as long as i exposed correct, the files came out really nice.
I think you won't regret switching to the Q2 in that sense anyway.

I've made this finger strap myself and it actually feels wonderful. It goes around my ring and middle finger leaving the pinky to support by putting it under the camera when I don't use the grip.
The finger strap from 595 looks nice though.
In the meantime I post a better picture of my variant so you could try it yourself if you want to make one.
The leather should be stiff and it also should wrap pretty tight around your fingers to give a better feel to it.
Feel free to post a picture if you make one!

Thanks for the additional details and pics.   Very creative design.  Is there any risk to the strap coming apart where the leather feeds through the hole?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ianforber said:

I have the 595 strap with PD anchors. It’s a nice strap and fairly flexible from the outset. It feels secure but I don’t use it often enough to give a full recommendation. I use their neck strap instead. 

Are you referring to one of their wrist straps?   I don’t see a PD version of their finger strap.  Not sure how that would work.  

This is the one I’ve been eyeing:

https://595strapco.com/collections/leather-wrist-straps/products/leather-finger-straps

Basically the same idea as Leica’s finger loop, but leather and doesn’t require the OEM grip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ggweci said:

Thanks for the additional details and pics.   Very creative design.  Is there any risk to the strap coming apart where the leather feeds through the hole?

You're welcome. No no. The way the leather is cut makes it lock even harder to itself when pulling it. The weakest link is the thin metal ring. I'll get a thicker ring when I get a hold of one. 

Edited by Rosse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ggweci said:

Are you referring to one of their wrist straps?   I don’t see a PD version of their finger strap.  Not sure how that would work.  

This is the one I’ve been eyeing:

https://595strapco.com/collections/leather-wrist-straps/products/leather-finger-straps

Basically the same idea as Leica’s finger loop, but leather and doesn’t require the OEM grip. 

Ah sorry, yes, I have one of their wrist straps. https://595strapco.com/collections/leather-wrist-straps/products/quick-release-anchor-wrist-strap-riveted

• Like 2