Cannot turn OFF M240.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M240 not used for couple of months. Has 95% battery capacity. It was not properly responsive when turned on. It would display old photos but not take new ones. All that appears in the viewfinder is a single red "1" or "I" near bottom center. Reset did not help. Taking out battery a few minutes did not help. Firmware was 2.0.6.0. I decided to try installing the latest firmware 2.1 but cannot do that because I cannot turn the camera off! You need to insert the proper SD card and while holding down the INFO button, then turn it ON. But it is already ON. The OFF, S, and C detents of the rotary power switch feel and sound good. It's just that the mechanical off position does not seem to tell the electronics/firmware that it is in the off position. (A mechanical failure of the switch contacts seemed less likely but I am interested to hear if that is an incorrect presumption.) Also tried three different Leica batteries with charge levels down to 60%. The Menu, Info, ISO, and Play buttons all work properly when the camera is set to OFF. No shutter release or viewfinder display whether ON or OFF.

I realize this is not the latest camera but it is adequate for my purposes and has great sentimental value and workmanship no longer seen. My first M3 was in 1962.

• Like 2