Voigtlenser: Automagic Voigtlander Lens profiles / Corrections

Nimar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I manually code my Voigtlander lenses with black paint, so they get Leica equivalents written to DNGs, then I run this script on a directory of files and it rewrites the metadata with my Voigtlander mapping and turns on lens corrections for that lens profile.  You need ExifTool installed, and this assumes you are on a Mac (or *nix). 

If you save this as a file, eg. voigtlenser.sh and then run 

chmod +x voigtlenser.sh

you will be able to run

./voigtlenser.sh ~/Pictures/someDir

And it will update the lens data for all files in that directory, and enable lens corrections.  You will have to reload metadata in Lightroom if they are already part of your catalogue.

The script can be found here https://github.com/sbramin/voigtlenser/blob/master/voigtlenser.sh if anyone wants to add some more mappings, I'd be happy to take PRs.

ps. If you actually own a mix of Leica/Non Leica lenses you will want to remove the real Leica mappings to avoid overwriting those.  This will also work for non Voigtlander lenses, assuming you code them to a Leica equivalent.

Edited by Nimar
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn’t select any profile, just turn it to off.

Every lens has different characteristics and flaws, and it makes no sense to apply a lens profile from a similar lens in terms of specifications like focal length, or fastest speed as the software would correct for different flaws, and introduce new ones. The only reason I would use some in-camera corrections would be in situations where I use multiple uncoded lenses during one session. By selecting something unique I could then apply the correct EXIF data / lens corrections in LrC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1