TL2 in 2023 as a Backup?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi forum,

I was in Kyoto last week and dropped my SL2-S with my 50 SL cron attached. The lens is fine but the shutter curtain is locked down and I'm getting a system error.  I took it to the Leica Store and the body has to be sent to Germany for evaluation and repair.  Sadly (and stupidly), this is my only camera body.  My SL2 will be gone for probably 1-2 months.  I am considering picking up a TL2 as a back up and to have something to use until my SL is repaired.  I've always wanted a T but was put off by the cost and reported issues, etc.  There are a lot of deals on used (and even new) TL2 bodies and I already have an arsenal of L mount lenses to use.  Is it a decent second/compact body option?   Did Leica fix all the bugs before discontinuing it?  The CL is still more than I want to spend as I'm really hoping for an SL3 in the next few years.  Thanks! 

49 minutes ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

Hi forum,

I've always wanted a T but was put off by the cost and reported issues, etc.  There are a lot of deals on used (and even new) TL2 bodies and I already have an arsenal of L mount lenses to use.  Is it a decent second/compact body option?   Did Leica fix all the bugs before discontinuing it? 

It's a one-of-a-kind Leica, the T/TL/TL2. Nothing like it, a real piece of art. Which happens to take very decent pictures, too. I had the T, now the TL2, and yes, there are some very good deals to be had these days. It depends what you photograph, but I don't experience any bugs getting in the way of what I want out of the camera. Manage your expectations wisely, and you will be rewarded with TL2 files that are very similar to the original SL, or the CL for that matter (which I also own). The older T (16 MP) had a different sensor and is (was) a hair crisper than the 24 MP TL2/CL files, but I have no complaints at all. Fun little camera, two sizes down from the SL series, and therefore very nice to carry around. No speed demon, though. I traveled to Europe with the TL2 and two lenses recently, easy to carry around all day, I don't think I missed much at all with this setup.

I'm not sure what bugs you mean, I think the TL2 is a very fine performing camera, although I think the CL is better in every way.  A used SL might be a better fit for you, depending on your lens collection, but in general I think the CL is even a better camera than the original SL - ergonomically for sure, but output is pretty indistinguishable to me.  The only clear advantage I think of the SL is the EVF, but the one on the CL is still quite good.  By the way, I own all 3 cameras (TL2, CL, and SL601) so I don't think I'm biased against one or the other.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, MJB said:

I'm not sure what bugs you mean, I think the TL2 is a very fine performing camera, although I think the CL is better in every way.  A used SL might be a better fit for you, depending on your lens collection, but in general I think the CL is even a better camera than the original SL - ergonomically for sure, but output is pretty indistinguishable to me.  The only clear advantage I think of the SL is the EVF, but the one on the CL is still quite good.  By the way, I own all 3 cameras (TL2, CL, and SL601) so I don't think I'm biased against one or the other.

35 minutes ago, MJB said:

Thanks for your feedback.  Honestly, I am working off general impressions of the T cameras over the years. I've chatted with a few people who LOVE the TL2.  I used to own a CL and sold it (regrettably) to upgrade to the SL2.  It is great camera, I'm still bummed Leica did not come out with a CL2.  BUT, at this point, I am in a situation where I need a back up.  CLs seem to be going for 2k and up while the TL2 can be had for under 1K.  I am leaning towards TL2, I like the design and wouldn't mind owning a piece of industrial design genius.  Also, I'm certain the files coming out of it are great.  I think it would be a fun travel and carry camera.  I appreciate your feedback. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

Thanks for your feedback.  Honestly, I am working off general impressions of the T cameras over the years. I've chatted with a few people who LOVE the TL2.  I used to own a CL and sold it (regrettably) to upgrade to the SL2.  It is great camera, I'm still bummed Leica did not come out with a CL2.  BUT, at this point, I am in a situation where I need a back up.  CLs seem to be going for 2k and up while the TL2 can be had for under 1K.  I am leaning towards TL2, I like the design and wouldn't mind owning a piece of industrial design genius.  Also, I'm certain the files coming out of it are great.  I think it would be a fun travel and carry camera.  I appreciate your feedback. 

This was precisely my reasoning when I picked up a TL2 as backup for my CL - they were literally half the price.  If you think you may need the EVF, consider that the price gap closes considerably, though.  

I'm actually selling all of my Leica cameras because, as much as I like them, I think I can get more for my money (and I want even smaller/lighter than the CL lenses offer).

59 minutes ago, HandofSand said:

It's a one-of-a-kind Leica, the T/TL/TL2. Nothing like it, a real piece of art. Which happens to take very decent pictures, too. I had the T, now the TL2, and yes, there are some very good deals to be had these days. It depends what you photograph, but I don't experience any bugs getting in the way of what I want out of the camera. Manage your expectations wisely, and you will be rewarded with TL2 files that are very similar to the original SL, or the CL for that matter (which I also own). The older T (16 MP) had a different sensor and is (was) a hair crisper than the 24 MP TL2/CL files, but I have no complaints at all. Fun little camera, two sizes down from the SL series, and therefore very nice to carry around. No speed demon, though. I traveled to Europe with the TL2 and two lenses recently, easy to carry around all day, I don't think I missed much at all with this setup.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.  I'm definitely leaning toward the TL2.  I just took my SL2 to Thailand and Japan and, while I got some amazing shots, a monkey knocked it out of my hand and here I am! LOL. 

These little bastards. :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJB said:

This was precisely my reasoning when I picked up a TL2 as backup for my CL - they were literally half the price.  If you think you may need the EVF, consider that the price gap closes considerably, though.  

I'm actually selling all of my Leica cameras because, as much as I like them, I think I can get more for my money (and I want even smaller/lighter than the CL lenses offer).

No doubt about it.  It's hard to get much smaller and lighter than the 18 2.8 and 23.  I considered the GRIII but I don't like the interface and it's a bit too small for me.  Have you thought about the FP-L?  

21 minutes ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

No doubt about it.  It's hard to get much smaller and lighter than the 18 2.8 and 23.  I considered the GRIII but I don't like the interface and it's a bit too small for me.  Have you thought about the FP-L?  

I'm actually in the process of moving to Olympus and really enjoying it.  Micro Four Thirds gets a bad rap, but I'm finding it to be a really good balance of competing interests.  I've thought about the Ricoh as well for a truly pocketable option, but I've heard the AF is not the best (especially in lower light) and I'm hesitant to commit to a single focal length.  Plus, I just need the tactility of a more traditional camera.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DenverSteve said:

Having one camera can be a bit of a crap-shoot.  I would echo getting a CL as a second body, and backup, to your SL2-s. However, be very careful..... many have purchased a CL as a backup to other Leicas and discovered they preferred the CL.  One never knows. 🙃

LOL You mean giving up the joy of caring around 3 pounds of camera while I’m hiking? It could happen.  🤔😂

• Like 1

I own the SL2-S and have owned a CL and a TL2 (twice). I never encountered any bugs with the TL2 that I recall (may they existed, but they didn't affect any photography that I wanted to do). I would pick the CL over the TL2 for its EVF, though I love the shape and style of the TL2, and its touch menu system. 

For what the OP is doing, I would forget about the SL system: too large and heavy for practical travel IMO. The CL is/was ideal. Don't read reviews or internet forums, and you will never notice that it is APS-C. 

• Like 8

7 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

.................. The CL is/was ideal. Don't read reviews or internet forums, and you will never notice that it is APS-C. 

Absolutely true. Forget about it and shoot stellar photos and carry a small Leica that - to me - feels almost perfect. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, LACANYONHIKER said:

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.  I'm definitely leaning toward the TL2.  I just took my SL2 to Thailand and Japan and, while I got some amazing shots, a monkey knocked it out of my hand and here I am! LOL. 

These little bastards. :) 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

While not funny at all for this to happen, the insurance claim language must be quite amusing. "Monkeys unexpectedly and maliciously stole my camera and destroyed it..."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

While not funny at all for this to happen, the insurance claim language must be quite amusing. "Monkeys unexpectedly and maliciously stole my camera and destroyed it..."

Well you have to find humor in life, that's my approach.  One can't be too attached to anything.  I can't believe the body is destroyed, from only a two foot drop.  Although I have no idea how much it costs to repair a Leica.  If it costs more that a new Lumix S5II, I may be changing to a different L mount body.  A friend lent me his TL2 body, it's a fun little camera. Maybe this is a lesson in finding out I can do with less. ;)

I know with my TL2 I picked it up new right after Leica announced it was being discontinued. Paid $950 brand new for the body (which I believe was a really solid deal) and have pretty much used only my 23mm f2 summicron with it. I absolutely love taking it out and using it for everything. I definitely wouldn't hold it in any sort of comparison to your SL2-S because it's nowhere near the same league due to being older, etc...but it's certainly more than capable of stellar photos and enjoyment. I have other cameras I've owned now for a longtime (Pentax K1ii, Fuji Xpro-3, Leica X2, and a few others) that I know are all better in certain areas such as the AF, etc...but there's just something very special about the TL2 that keeps me picking it up more than any of the other cameras. The fact that you can use other T-L mount lenses that are out there means you can pick up some really great glass for relatively low prices, as well. And I've still yet to see any other camera on the market, ever, that looks like the T cameras. Clean, sexy, and feel great in the hands with simple controls that don't get in the way. 

Edited by maidenfan84
  • Like 4

Thanks for your feedback everyone, I appreciate it.  After using my friend's TL2 for a week, I decided to pick one up, got a great price on one at B&H.  I'm having a blast with it.  I threw a Sigma iSeries 35 f2 on it which I had laying around.  The menu system is great, it is light, the files look awesome. I take it everywhere.   I don't miss the EVF, the back screen is fine for casual shooting.  Of course now I want to buy the Leica 18mm 2.8 to make it a really tight kit.  I don't know, that's another seven or 800, I'm not sure I want to invest much more in it. If anyone is in LA and has one they want to sell, lmk.

Edited by LACANYONHIKER
  • Like 6