Button dance to detect sensor type/id

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone know if there is a 'button dance' like for the M9 to see what type of Sensor the S2/S006 have?

As you may know (or not) the S2 and S006 can also have/get a corroding sensor.

Now I reached out to Leica, and they said my S-E had a sensor replaced in 2016, during a repair to a unrelated part. They did this for free. They could not however tell me if the sensor in my S-E is currently of the latest version which doesn't corode. For that they said they need to connect my camera to a special device which they only have in Germany.

I thought, maybe there is a button dance like for the M9 to get the Sensor ID. And we can then compare the sensor IDs between our S2/S006/S-E006 cameras to figure out who has a upgraded sensor or not etc.

My sensor does NOT have corrosion as of now, but I want to make sure I have a upgraded sensor before they run out of them.

Edited by jip
  • Like 1

After I had the sensor replaced by Leica for my Type 006 , I noticed (during sensor cleaning) the word "Kodak" followed by a number was no longer visible on the perimeter of the sensor.  The new sensor has no label as far as I can see.  This may be a simple way of determining whether your replaced sensor is the new version or not.

Rod

On 7/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, jip said:

Does anyone know if there is a 'button dance' like for the M9 to see what type of Sensor the S2/S006 have?

As you may know (or not) the S2 and S006 can also have/get a corroding sensor.

Now I reached out to Leica, and they said my S-E had a sensor replaced in 2016, during a repair to a unrelated part. They did this for free. They could not however tell me if the sensor in my S-E is currently of the latest version which doesn't corode. For that they said they need to connect my camera to a special device which they only have in Germany.

I thought, maybe there is a button dance like for the M9 to get the Sensor ID. And we can then compare the sensor IDs between our S2/S006/S-E006 cameras to figure out who has a upgraded sensor or not etc.

My sensor does NOT have corrosion as of now, but I want to make sure I have a upgraded sensor before they run out of them.

It seems like if there were some simple way to figure it out, Leica would have told you, right? It is certainly not in either of your interests to have you send in the camera for superfluous work if they could do it remotely. It seems like you probably need to do what you say, if you want to be sure...

11 hours ago, RLocket said:

After I had the sensor replaced by Leica for my Type 006 , I noticed (during sensor cleaning) the word "Kodak" followed by a number was no longer visible on the perimeter of the sensor.  The new sensor has no label as far as I can see.  This may be a simple way of determining whether your replaced sensor is the new version or not.

Rod

I just checked, and I can't see any type of text around the sensor. Not with the naked eye at least. 

They said they replaced my sensor in 2016, but they were not sure if it was the 'newer type'. So it seems that in that year it could've been either. 

5 hours ago, Stuart Richardson said:

It seems like if there were some simple way to figure it out, Leica would have told you, right? It is certainly not in either of your interests to have you send in the camera for superfluous work if they could do it remotely. It seems like you probably need to do what you say, if you want to be sure...

You are right, but in the beginning Leica did not want to tell customers about the 'button dance' and always said they just had to send in the camera. (Regarding M9)

• Thanks 1