SL2-S for documentaries lenses

CConBlu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, new to the forum and to Leica

After extensive research I have decided to buy a SL2-S for filming documentaries and wanted to know what lenses do you guys recommend, before I continue let me explain…

I work with a Canon C500 Mark II for documentaries, has all the bells and whistles, built in NDs, XLR audio, RAW etc., and always shoot on primes, prefer the look of it. 
For my next project I need something small and hybrid (video and pictures). Very small compact, in order not to attract attention, something rugged. I will be in crop fields next to migrant workers, dirt, mud, water, rain, etc.  I looked at the Sony FX6 and 3 and Canon C70, but I already have a cine camera, not looking for a B cam, I always shoot with one camera. 

I’m not missing audio, given before the C500 I always recorded audio separately so I will record on my Zoom H6 and I never use auto focus. 

Having that said, now what camera do you recommend?

Small compact: M lenses but I’m going to be on rugged/unstable terrain. 

SL 35mm/50mm/75mm: Could be the way to go, very pricey though.

SL 24-90mm: Seems the way to go, gets bulky though but lens stabilization. 

Sigmas?

Not looking for Leica R’s given the difficulty to get them

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

D

Hi CConBlu, I've shot a few projects on the C500 Mk2 and wonder why you want to leave the Canon ecosystem? The new R5C should tick all your boxes, and you can use a reliable AF when in a pinch, assuming you already own EF glass.

After an 8 year of relationship with Red, I swapped the Epic Dragon for the SL2-S and didn't get the C500 because of colour, versatility, and size. If I need a proper cine camera, I rent one (Arri, of course). But for sure, your mileage varies, and the C500 is a brilliant cinema-doc camera hybrid.

I use the SL2-S for documentary video and stills gigs always together with the 24-90 Vario Elmarit. Add 4 batteries and a few SD cards, and you are set for a great hybrid experience, switching instantly from video to stills and back. The 24-90 is astonishingly sharp and has a longer end than standard 24-70 zooms, which I find very handy. The F 4.0 is a non-issue, given that we are talking full frame here and not S-35mm. I don't use AF for video. However, the Sl2-S provides the ability to set initial focus on the 24-90 with its AF in manual mode, which I use here and then. But focus peaking is as good as it gets, so I magnification. You also can make use of a waveform monitor in the Sl2-S brilliant EVF (for hybrid work, I don't use the Atomos, only the EVF).

Focusing the 24-90 manually works but isn't the most fantastic experience. Fly-by-wire focusing isn't even remotely comparable to proper manual focusing. That rules the SL primes out, in my opinion (plus they are prohibitively expensive for video work).

Primes. If you take that subject seriously, you either get a PL adapter and respective primes or R-primes with the Novoflex Adapter. M primes are not well suited for video due to their focusing. Racking focus is much better with the R primes, which are miniature cine lenses with pretty accurate witness marks. Plus, they have tons of soul without being too quirky. 

Because you are shooting full-frame on the SL2-S f 2.8 equals f 2.0 with a classic S-35mm sensor and is sufficiently fast. That means the whole line of Elmarit R-primes will do well. I own a set of Elmarits, from 28mm to 90mm and can't say mostly good things about them (the 35mm Elmarit is very special and has downsides). Bevor them, I owned a Zeiss Super Speeds set MK2 and shot tons of commercials with them. I figure that the R Elmarits are the nicer lenses and as sharp at f 4 as the Zeiss are at the cost of a tenth. Totally underrated lenses and a bargain. But not for long, given that full format is the new S-35mm.

• Like 4

Hi hansvons, 

Appreciate so much all the info! Not trying to leave the Canon ecosystem. I'm still keeping it and I'm still going to be shooting projects on it. 

Trying to somewhat minimize. Just a camera and a lens, granted I can do it with the C500 but want to go a different minimalistic route on a hybrid mode, seems I can't go wrong with the SL2s for that. 

Looks to me the SL 24-90 is probably the way to go. I was thinking about using an external monitor until I read yo don't use one, only the EVF. 

There's another thing to consider. L-Log on the Sl2-S is based on the Rec2020 colour space. Thus, using l-Log files in a standard Rec709 environment will lead to cyan tinted blue sky and reddish faces, and other funky colours. I edit my SL2-S projects on a HDR Rec2020 timeline and get excellent results with tons of DR. Same applies for an ACES workflow. Because there isn't a specific SL2-S IDT available yet you should use for IDT the generic Rec2020 camera. 

• Like 1

Hi guys, I am just about to use two SL2-S's on a doc in Poland regarding the immigration crisis there.  My partner and I hope to use them as B cameras to my Arri Alexa Mini.  I could use A LOT of advice on the best Gamma and data rate to mix best with my Alexa.  If either have a moment to comment on your use so far or connect me with other who are using this as a pro cine camera I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks-M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/6/2022 at 7:06 PM, CConBlu said:

SL 24-90mm: Seems the way to go, gets bulky though but lens stabilization. 

The SL 24-90 on my S1H works great for video as you can program it to focus in a linear fashion and you can program the throw.  I have mine set to 90 degrees for fast pulling.  Focus peaking works.  I got my S1H before the SL2-S was available.  You'll need to look into setting up the SL 24-90 on the SL2-S for cinema.  Footage is useable handheld (IBIS + OIS) on the S1H.  The SL 24-90 is perfect for fast setup and composition.  It's built well for tough environments.  Good luck!

• Like 2

On 3/8/2022 at 5:37 AM, CConBlu said:

Hi hansvons, 

Appreciate so much all the info! Not trying to leave the Canon ecosystem. I'm still keeping it and I'm still going to be shooting projects on it. 

Trying to somewhat minimize. Just a camera and a lens, granted I can do it with the C500 but want to go a different minimalistic route on a hybrid mode, seems I can't go wrong with the SL2s for that. 

Looks to me the SL 24-90 is probably the way to go. I was thinking about using an external monitor until I read yo don't use one, only the EVF. 

Have you handled the SL2 and 24-90mm in person? I have a hard time seeing how it could be considered compact compared to even the C500. It is a great camera, but compact it is not. Have you considered the Sigma FpL ? It seems to be more focused on the use case you describe, as it is compact and modular and has many more videocentric features, while still being usable as a camera. Will also take your EF lenses with an adapter (as would the SL2S).